Thread: any tips for spar?

Arrow any tips for spar?

Can someone give me a tip on spar?

Become good at dodging, practice.
    Global Moderator Feb 21, 2014 - Oct 10, 2014 (8 months)
    iEra Player Relations April 10, 2014 - Oct 10, 2014 (6 months)
    iEra Communications Support Oct 10, 2014 - Feb 9, 2015 (4 months)
    Ol West Communications Admin Nov 15, 2014 - Resigned (9 months)
    iEra Communications Admin Feb 9, 2015 - April 10, 2016 (15 months)
    iEra Player Relations Admin April 10, 2016 - Current
    Retired from Toonslab Support
    Toonslab FAQ [email protected]

focus on the bullets, not the player
    Questions? Don't be afraid to message me.

Get the treadmill speed boost before sparring.

Communications Support xcloudx97's Avatar
    Gm4 wins all

Drop me a message if you have any queries.
    Please be specific,i won't bite.

Support center:support.toonslab.com
    New to the forums? Here's a guide!:http://era-go.com/forum/showthread.p...for-newcomers!

Thanks for the tips I'll try it

Here's a collaboration of a few of my posts on this topic, summed up into one.

Starting point: you're looking to improve your sparring 'skill'.
    Let's break it down by first identifying what 'skill' is.
    There's three factors:
    • 1) Bullet Dodging - Weave in and out of opponent bullets.
    • 2) Timing your shots - Fire the most effective shots with the least vulnerability(freeze/reload).
    • 3) Movement - Move in a way that #1 and #2 can be best utilized to achieve victory.

Additional tips:
    Go to the gym. It's worth it. Anybody that has the gym speed will have a mechanical advantage over you if you don't have it.

Practice. Moving around quickly just to move around isn't the way to go about it. Develop your own style.
    If moving that way becomes your style, by all means; go for it-- But don't focus on it.
    Pressing multiple directions randomly will get you nowhere- If your goal is to look crafty, fast, or to 'fake out your opponent', you're not going to get anywhere.
    It's not about illusions, it's about conditioning.

My advice: Freestyle and eliminate 'comfort zones'- Your plan should be to not have a plan. If you go in with a predetermined 'plan', you're positioning yourself to lose control of the fight, as the opponent will frequently change your plans. I swarm the arena more than anybody I've ever seen, but I do it because it's the most fluid way for me to move about- I'm not doing it to look crafty. I randomly think of a 2-to-4-letter word and move in that manner as if I'm writing in cursive with my character. It's unpredictable, even to myself. I have no set 'boundaries' or 'movement scheme' when I PK, and I have no 'comfort zone'. I don't even pay attention to what the opponents are doing. I repeatedly adapt to whatever scenario the cursive puts me in.

As for guns, nowadays people classify guns by category- That's jibber-jabber. Find a gun that works for you, and stick with it.
    One of the silliest things I've ever seen is the classification of 'spar gun' or 'not spar gun'.
    That's a joke; there's no such thing. When they say that, they're saying, "I'm not effective with this gun in a spar".
    Eliminate these stereotypes. A gun that doesn't work for them may work wonders for you.

Same thing goes for these YouTube videos of 'moves' that I see-- they're conditioning people to be a predictable cookie-cutout PKer. Squash that.
    A student who obeys rules will only be as effective as the rules themselves. Follow the rules demonstrated by the people in those videos you won't get far.
    Unfortunately, those guys haven't been exposed a real craft worth mastering, so they're trying to guess at what makes a successful PKer. Freestyle, man. Forget 'moves' and 'technique'. Don't watch those videos-- they're all jibber-jabber. Remember: you're not trying to perform a fatality on Mortal Kombat, you're PKing. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to do it, so don't let those videos limit your potential. Besides, the moves these guys are 'coming up with' and 'naming' were around at least 6 years before they started playing; we just weren't silly enough to create names for it.

No disrespect towards anybody creating these videos. It's commendable that they're trying to help people.
    However, I believe that practicing in your own right will produce much better results than to 'master' the 'techniques' in these videos.

In short, my advice is to not take advice.
    The only way to get better is by fighting a better opponent.
    When no such opponent exists, force yourself to be outnumbered.

Just get out there and PK. Make your own style, and perfect it. Practice, practice, practice.

Edit:
    And please don't let my old-school lingo throw you off.
    When I say "PK", I'm referring to anything involving you killing another player.
    This includes Sparring, basing, and overworld PK.
    The advice here applies to every one of those.

Meph is always right!