Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iMask's GS2 Tutorials

Big Cheese Captain

iMask's GS2 Tutorials

(If someone could sticky this, that would be great! <3)

I'm starting to create tutorial videos for those who want to learn GS2. I'm trying to explain these tutorials the simplest way I can so that you can understand.

If any of you think of some ways that I can improve my tutorial, leave a comment here or on youtube. If you have a question, just ask!

I will be updating this thread when new tutorials are uploaded.

Tutorial #1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6HPSHmVD_U
    Tutorial #2https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohwxrfCY7Y
    Tutorial #3https://youtu.be/Ni2hQfWHhhU
    Last edited by iMask; 08-14-2015 at 03:43 AM.
    iEra Developer / SFX Admin

Need help? Contact me:
    Email: [email protected]

"If you want to echo a number you do not need the quotations, because it is an integer". Well as you mentioned the quotations dignify a string, correct? Ok well if you wanted to echo a string output you could still put your "Integers" (numbers) in a string format. The only logical reason you would not want to use the quotes are if you are doing this.

PHP Code:
    //#CLIENTSIDE
    function onCreated()  {
        echo(
    10 20 1);

or for a timer
    PHP Code:
    setTimer(0.05
    It's just good to explain it in a way that does not make it seem that you cant simply do,

PHP Code:
    echo("10, 20, 50"); 
    Because you defiantly can.

Anyhow the quality of the video has improved mildly, and the formatting and explanations that you gave were excellent, I enjoyed watching and can see this being useful to beginners , Thanks for your help in the community and good job :=)

-Noof
    Noof was here.

Big Cheese Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Noofboy12 View Post
    "If you want to echo a number you do not need the quotations, because it is an integer". Well as you mentioned the quotations dignify a string, correct? Ok well if you wanted to echo a string output you could still put your "Integers" (numbers) in a string format. The only logical reason you would not want to use the quotes are if you are doing this.

PHP Code:
    //#CLIENTSIDE
    function onCreated()  {
        echo(
    10 20 1);

or for a timer
    PHP Code:
    setTimer(0.05
    It's just good to explain it in a way that does not make it seem that you cant simply do,

PHP Code:
    echo("10, 20, 50"); 
    Because you defiantly can.

Anyhow the quality of the video has improved mildly, and the formatting and explanations that you gave were excellent, I enjoyed watching and can see this being useful to beginners , Thanks for your help in the community and good job :=)

-Noof
    Thanks for the positive vibes! I'll mention what you said in my next video.

Need help? Contact me:

You are jumping way too quickly in the concept of functions. As a new comer I'd also expect a way to, let's say, see my code become alive.

Good job on what you're doing, though nevertheless, you'd probably need a bit more time to learn before you can go further into teaching. I already found lots and lots of false information given to the user, I can list them down if you want.

Also, why is this stickied?

Can I learn from this even if I don't have any clue what the commands or whatever are?
    Last edited by Cero; 03-23-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typo
    http://maidendarkness.deviantart.com/art/Gin-Ichimaru-Signature-283794110
    Kamishini no yari

Big Cheese Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You are jumping way too quickly in the concept of functions. As a new comer I'd also expect a way to, let's say, see my code become alive.

Good job on what you're doing, though nevertheless, you'd probably need a bit more time to learn before you can go further into teaching. I already found lots and lots of false information given to the user, I can list them down if you want.

Also, why is this stickied?
    I don't understand how I'm jumping into functions too quickly. That is the base of programming

Could you list the mistakes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cero View Post
    Can I learn from this even if I don't have any clue what the commands or whatever are?
    You will still be able to learn. I will explain everything in detail.

Need help? Contact me:

Big Cheese Captain
    Tutorial #2 is up! Check original post

Need help? Contact me:

Quote Originally Posted by iMask View Post
    Tutorial #2 is up! Check original post
    I like the second tutorial, less errors here. I also liked how you showed the results this time using RC.

Let me just fix some stuff up though:
    1. echo is not a statement, it's a function/method.
    2. "a" is not "equals" to 10, the value 10 is assigned to a. This is very important and confusing to newcomers. "=" is the character to assign the right to the left, "==" are the characters that check if left is equals to right, and in some programming languages, "===" checks if left has the same type/class as right.
    3. This may not be an error, but you haven't really explained what a variable is, and assigning a string to an integer would kind-of be a bad example at start. In other programming languages, you cannot assign a type to another unless you cast or stream them. (in C# though, this is made automatically).

Helpful advice would be include everything you need to teach about a certain topic (variables, methods etc.) in a single video, this will get the user that is trying to find it more comfortable and easier to learn.

Not a bad start though.
    -Johnaudi

Big Cheese Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    2. "a" is not "equals" to 10, the value 10 is assigned to a. This is very important and confusing to newcomers. "=" is the character to assign the right to the left
    I don't really understand what you mean. If you're making 10 the value of a, it's the same thing saying a is equal to 10.

Let's say I have a math problem that said "The value of x is 10". I would see it as making x equal to 10.

Need help? Contact me:

Quote Originally Posted by iMask View Post
    I don't really understand what you mean. If you're making 10 the value of a, it's the same thing saying a is equal to 10.

Let's say I have a math problem that said "The value of x is 10". I would see it as making x equal to 10.
    A single equal sign "=" can be thought of as assigning a value to a variable (i.e. varX = 5 means "varX is now equal to 5").

On the other hand, a double equals sign "==" is a check, like asking the program a question (i.e. varX == 5 means "is varX equal to 5?"). From there, the program behaves accordingly to whether that question is answered true or false.
    Author of EraAWSD: http://era-go.com/forum/showthread.p...l=1#post195094 (Updated 15-09-2015)

Just some music... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41Rrk_6rzs (Updated 02-20-2016)