Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Can global moderators see my location?

Quote Originally Posted by XSTARX View Post
    Apparently the world has the same IPs and not all routers have a different set of numbers upon purchasing it.
    True, but that doesn't happen often.

Okay, so an IP adress doesn't give out ones true location, the IP adress stays at the ISP (internet service provider) and is only responsible for your connection between the ISP and your router so you can access the internet

if you were to trace an IP, you would simply get the location of your ISP, not your home

it would be a worldwide desaster if you could find out where someone lives at by just tracing the IP

in order to find out ones location you would need special permission to get access to the isp's customer database

another thing would be GPS tracking, but i dont think that the forums or graal itself recieves any gps data so one could find your definite location

if you care about your privacy and want to absolutely reduce the risks to 0%, you should have not published your location information somewhere accessible (facebook, other social media)

on your phone, you are always asked if you want to share your location with whatever service youre trying to access, you can always say no (except for police and other related fellows)

so if someone tried to get your location, he would most likely redirect you to a phishing website and request a GPS signal from your phone, which you then can say no to, but since most people are retarded anyway, they just click "accept" or "yes" or "i agree" on everything either way, just like the 90% of people that have never read a Terms of Service before because its just too long.
    iEra IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
    iCla. IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
    iZone IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
    Ol'West IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)

I make graphics for money.
    Approach me to discuss business.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk View Post
    Okay, so an IP adress doesn't give out ones true location, the IP adress stays at the ISP (internet service provider) and is only responsible for your connection between the ISP and your router so you can access the internet

if you were to trace an IP, you would simply get the location of your ISP, not your home

it would be a worldwide desaster if you could find out where someone lives at by just tracing the IP

in order to find out ones location you would need special permission to get access to the isp's customer database

another thing would be GPS tracking, but i dont think that the forums or graal itself recieves any gps data so one could find your definite location

if you care about your privacy and want to absolutely reduce the risks to 0%, you should have not published your location information somewhere accessible (facebook, other social media)

on your phone, you are always asked if you want to share your location with whatever service youre trying to access, you can always say no (except for police and other related fellows)

so if someone tried to get your location, he would most likely redirect you to a phishing website and request a GPS signal from your phone, which you then can say no to, but since most people are retarded anyway, they just click "accept" or "yes" or "i agree" on everything either way, just like the 90% of people that have never read a Terms of Service before because its just too long.
    Simple solution, use a VPN, I'd recommend cyberghost personally.

Big Cheese Sottocapo
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk View Post

Yeah, I NEVER click "yes" for my location on apps or sites but I'm glad it's not easy to track me down because I was really scared. Now I won't worry nearly as much about online people finding me ^^ Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jahola View Post
    They can find your location through your IP address, HOWEVER if any member of staff (regardless of their rank) uses your IP to find your location then they are violating the law.
    Ehh, if they wanted to hurt me I don't think they would care about the law. But I'm glad they're not supposed to see my location.

I know you live somewhere in the world maybe even the universe!

What elk said
    Please message me here: http://www.era-go.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=79 if you have any questions or concerns!

Welcome to Era-Go, a way to better interact with the Era community!

Big Cheese Sottocapo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus View Post

What elk said
    Okay, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventus View Post

What elk said
    :O you live somewhere in the world? I know where you live!! I'm coming for you! >:-)