Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PSA: "Hacking"/Account Theft

Ex. Player Relations Admi RenoDorvay's Avatar

PSA: "Hacking"/Account Theft

We've been getting an awful lot of letters and complaints about people losing their account. These situations are difficult.

Toonslab limits the authority of everyone but snk on Era. What do I mean by this? People that are not the Manager of Era can not search for offline accounts and generally have limited authority, we can't change your password and we can't search for people who are offline.

Generally speaking most of the people who come to us about "hacking" issues are people who have willingly given their account away, or shared their account with someone did who, and in some cases a malicious sibling or friend helps people access their accounts.

People who are not the Manager can only change e-mails in the case of a person losing their e-mail due to it being a temporary e-mail address, i.e. a school e-mail that will expire soon or a work e-mail etc.

Yes there has been exceptions to this case, but often it was snk that was involved in the event and not the normal Era staff. Just because X had their account returned to them does not mean we can give you your account, in many cases we could not actually return your account to you even if we really wanted to because we don't have the authority to do so.

How can you avoid getting your account hijacked (or as it's called now "hacked"):

DO NOT EVER SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION, E-MAIL INFORMATION, OR ANY REAL-LIFE INFORMATION WITH PLAYERS. There will always be players who want to steal your items and ruin your account. This is a fact of life. If it's too good to be true it probably is. Do not trust your friends, your family, your gang mates, or even Graal staff with your e-mail password. No-one needs it but you.

THERE ARE NO EASY MONEY/ITEM HACK PROGRAMS FOR ERA. They do not exist. If you download one, you have downloaded a key-logger or Trojan. If it's too good to be true it probably is.

ADMINS WILL NEVER ASK FOR YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION. Admins do not need to ask you for your e-mail address, we can see it already. Legitimate Era staff will have a gold tag that we can show you that has our staff position. There should also be (Admin) in our profile.

If you use GMAIL enable 2-factor authentication. Look here for more information. I can't stress this enough.

If you don't use GMAIL try and find out if your e-mail provider has 2-factor authentication functionality. This makes it a piece of cake to retrieve your account in the event of a "hacking", or hijacking.

I routinely get told that someone can't get their account back because a "hacker" has changed the password of their e-mail. We can not help in this situation. The decision to change the e-mail is solely up to snk, and even then I'm sure he's bound to guidelines. As far as I'm concerned (and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh) any issues about e-mail addresses have nothing to do with us, it's between the victim and their e-mail provider.

TO SUM UP: Do not give your account info out, trust no-one. Do not download Graal hack programs. Use 2-factor authentication on your e-mail if you can.
    Legal threats should go through the support center.

Ex. iEra Player Relations Admin - Oceania/Asia. 2011-2017.
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.” — Mark Twain

Street Boss
    I don't understand why people share their e-mail passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoDorvay View Post

If you use GMAIL enable 2-factor authentication. Look here for more information. I can't stress this enough.

If you don't use GMAIL try and find out if your e-mail provider has 2-factor authentication functionality. This makes it a piece of cake to retrieve your account in the event of a "hacking", or hijacking.
    This is very useful, thanks.
    Resigned the staff team- Thanks for all the good times =)

In general, since people will continue to share accounts, and you will continually receive hot-headed emails and pms on the matter, I would recommend adding some sort of feature that allows players to lock certain items and stats when you give access to another person/player. Since I most commonly hear about people that allowed another person on their account that, for example spent their ec, this feature would allow you to "lock" ec, which means you wouldn't be able to spend them unless it is "unlocked." This could be used for other items in your inventory, Or your spar stats, which when locked, can not be reset.

Just a quick idea I had that could help in preventing this type of issue.

a lock with a passcode?
    Yogy Nelo (Navy)

Navy Founder, Graphics Artist, That One Guy With 3 Lightsabers, 2011-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Collin Rosato Magus View Post
    In general, since people will continue to share accounts, and you will continually receive hot-headed emails and pms on the matter, I would recommend adding some sort of feature that allows players to lock certain items and stats when you give access to another person/player. Since I most commonly hear about people that allowed another person on their account that, for example spent their ec, this feature would allow you to "lock" ec, which means you wouldn't be able to spend them unless it is "unlocked." This could be used for other items in your inventory, Or your spar stats, which when locked, can not be reset.

Just a quick idea I had that could help in preventing this type of issue.
    That wouldn't be an issue if they don't give their info out in the first place. A lock system is like "in case you give away your account..." and we shouldn't have that mindset because that should not happen from the start.
    Global Moderator Feb 21, 2014 - Oct 10, 2014 (8 months)
    iEra Player Relations April 10, 2014 - Oct 10, 2014 (6 months)
    iEra Communications Support Oct 10, 2014 - Feb 9, 2015 (4 months)
    Ol West Communications Admin Nov 15, 2014 - Resigned (9 months)
    iEra Communications Admin Feb 9, 2015 - April 10, 2016 (15 months)
    iEra Player Relations Admin April 10, 2016 - Current
    Retired from Toonslab Support
    Toonslab FAQ [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    That wouldn't be an issue if they don't give their info out in the first place. A lock system is like "in case you give away your account..." and we shouldn't have that mindset because that should not happen from the start.
    Whether it should happen or not, it will continue to happen. The more preventative measures you take, the better it is.

There should be a PIN option for your inventory, or a folder where you could put items in but only accessible if you input a PIN. This is where I think a bank is a good idea, input items you don't want in your inventory and put a PIN so they are safe unless you give out your PIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaki View Post
    There should be a PIN option for your inventory, or a folder where you could put items in but only accessible if you input a PIN. This is where I think a bank is a good idea, input items you don't want in your inventory and put a PIN so they are safe unless you give out your PIN.
    Yes, that is similar to what I had in mind. It would also be great to lock up things like spar stats, so they can't be reset with out inputting some sort of code.

sticky this and close it