Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandpa's Spar Guide!

Grandpa's Spar Guide!

After many requests of teaching spar lessons I have decided to share with all of you everything I know. I have given tips among a handful of posts, but haven't made a dedicated thread to sparring. On this thread I will take you on a journey to success, you will be provided with different techniques, shooting patterns, movement tips, Different types of sparrers. And my personal list of gun matchups. You don't need a high tier gun to be the best! Whaaat?! I know right. Even something simple as the f2000 tac can win a majority of spars. With these tips you'll learn how. And eventually you may see yourself at the top of the scoreboards!

So let's get started,

TYPES OF SPARRING:

There are actually many different ways you can be a successful sparrer. But if you want to be the best, you should practice them all regularly. First I will touch on the most common.

● Spamming:

Typically newer players to sparring will end up shooting many bullets. Firing blind shots and moving up and down the spar box. They will shoot nonstop in attempt to stop you from shooting back at them effectively. But not everyone new does this. You can spam with just about any gun. But not all of them are ideal. An ak47 for example if you do so prefer to use one. Should not be shot on full auto. The mobility you get out of it is very little, which is very bad for you. in a spar. The speed in which you can maneuver is just about everything. If you desire to spam. You might want to invest in about gun which has low freeze. Freeze is basically how long you can NOT move after firing about shot. The lower the better. the key to spamming is to watch the reload. If you are spammer, reload is your weakest moments. A simple reload can get you hurt pretty bad. So always be cautious of how many bullets are left in the clip. There isn't much to spamming. But you can be sure to come across it every few spars.

● Rushing:

A rushing style of sparring can be very effective either as a full on tactic or to save your life., many people will typically grab a high damaging weapon for this. And basically barrel stuff the opponents.. what this also does is give you the upper hand with hit timers in certain rooms. A hit timer is how long you have after hitting the opponent you are invincible. They are very brief. But not in all spars. Rushing the opponent , assuming you get the first hit. Can mean unloading all of your shots into the enemy without them even touching you. The downside to this is it goes 50/50. If they hit you first. You gotta get out of there and try again. Otherwise the rushing will backfire on you. I recommend this only as a last resort. As it can end pretty badly.

● Dodging:

My favorite of styles. In this style your main goal is to dodge the enemy bullets. And in between the openings you fire your shot. Very low freeze or accurate weapons are recommend for this style. Your biggest time to strike is during the enemies reload. From then forward you can take action and gain control. Reload can be your friend, or your enemy. And with the dodging tactic you'll be utilizing it to its full potential. Here's a small scenario. The enemy is spamming you with bullets. Possibly from the Ghost m4. And you are doing the best you can dodge. The moment for you to strike is when they reload. As soon as the reload happens you close in and fire all of your shots. Watching for your reload. Revert back to dodging when the clip is low. The gm4 is weak on the reload. Always be ready for your moment.

Once you know what you're up against. You're already one step ahead. It can prepare you for which style you need to follow. Dodge the spammers, Rush the Rushers. But I didn't exactly tell you HOW to dodge all those bullets.

MOVEMENT PATTERNS:

● Infinity Loop/Figure 8

That's right, an infinity loop. It doesn't matter which direction you go. But this style of movement is particularly effective when facing accurate weapons. (Bar/Sten/Gm4/Socom, etc)
    Weaving through the bullets gives you many chances of firing back at the opponent. And using the right shooting pattern. They will soon be running into all of your bullets.

But it's not the only. There is another shape I like to follow. And it's pretty self explanatory.

●Trapezoid Pattern

This pattern is particularly useful for high spread weapons. You don't need to follow the exact shape. but it is very effective not only against high spread. But also very effective to USE with high spread. Don't run around this shape in In a loop however. Confuse the enemy by frequently stopping and heading backwards the way you came.

●Rhombus/Diamond

This pattern can be very confusing for just about anyone. You won't be shooting vertically during this pattern. Instead you will focus on the horizontal shots. Shoot AHEAD of the opponent. They will be trying to follow you and therefore run into the bullets unintentionally.

And by now you should have an idea of how to move in a spar. Taking sharp diagonal lines. NEVER move in straight lines or obvious ones such as a circle or a square. Visualize these shapes while sparring. it won't only help you find a pattern. It will also confuse the enemy.

FIRING PATTERNS:

● Boxing:

Boxing is the attempt to trap the enemy into a corner by shooting vertically and horizontally very fast while closing in on the opponent. If you are being boxed in. The way to get out of this situation is quite simple. As the opponent shoots horizontally. Run towards that bullets direction to weave out of the way. The enemy will shoot vertically which leaves you a small gap to escape. To don't run when they fire their next shot. Run AS THEY SHOOT towards the direction they shot in.

● Grandpa Style:

I call this pattern Grandpa Style because this is my preferred way of firing. You shoot 2 shots 1 direction. And a 3rd the other. You can switch whether it's 2 vertical or 2 horizontal. Either way it is VERY effective while using the infinity loop pattern I have mentioned before. This prevents the enemy from being able to rush from above you. While still keeping control from the side.

● Tiger Claws

Very popular. I nicknamed this pattern Tiger Claws for the style in which this works. You shoot at a person in a downwards movement. And walk back up a ways. And start shooting down again. The lines represent the style in which this firing pattern works. Very effective for those who like to run into corners.

● Snake Style

Popular among spammers. The goal of this firing pattern is to have the enemy run into the all the bullets . It is effective for Those hugging along the bottom wall. Be wary of the reload. You'll empty clips fast this way.

GUN MATCHUPS:

so now you have all these fancy patterns, styles, and movements.

But what about the actual guns?

Well here they are! These matchups are meant for those who are on a budget and are up against higher grade weapons. These low tier versions will prove to be quite splendid in the spars.
    The following weapons on the left represent the opponents weapon. As the right will represent a nice alternative to compete.

● M4 vs. Makarov:

The Makarov is an excellent weapon . Not only does it hold a chance against an m4. It holds a chance against MANY. if you want a low budget gun for a good well rounded spar use. You can't go wrong with the makarov. For only 6k gralats, definitely a gun worth picking up.

● Sten Vs. F2000 Tac:

Wait.. WHAT?! yes, this very low cost gun DOES stand a chance. Don't let the Sten hold the bottom. Cause it holds a massive clip of 32 bullets. This weapon is a 7 dmg gun with a 12 clip. But only the cost of 2500$ . Excellent competitor against other accurate guns.

● M8a1, Pbp Auto, Tec-9 Vs. Tar21:

The Tar21 is an absolutely outstanding gun. If you are facing against high spread weapons. You can't go wrong with this choice. In fact. This gun can take you all the way to that vector. Decent fire rate. Nice spread. If you can only afford one gun. Buy the tar21. It will last you a long time among sparring.

● Bar Vs. Uzi:

Ok now we know grandpa lost his marbles now didn't we? WRONG!. The Uzi is a very versatile weapon in the spar complex. It can even take down a bar. Get 2 of these bad boys and watch your enemies fill with rage. Best part? Only 600$!

● Gm4 Vs Dual Desert eagles/ap7's:

Probably the toughest one to handle on this list. But can be done. If you focus on which arm is firing a shot. You can gain the upper hand. Pay attention to which side you are shooting from with these. It won't be easy. HOWEVER. That makarov can do quite nicely here too.

These weapons are the most popular among the sparring community. There are many others. However these are re most used. Every gun mentioned today is excellent in any sparring situation.

MISCELLANEOUS:

● Right Handed/Left Handed:

Some guns are held on the opposite side as most. The g36 tactical for example is held on the right side. NOT the left. Which gives the weapon advantages with close observation. Starting on the left side of a spar will give you an advantage on the bottom half. As well as if the enemy is above. Pay attention to what side your gun is on.

● Where to shoot:

Many players will say you "eat" if you become a good dodger. That's just because they aren't hitting you in the right places. For hits to be more effective and have a higher chance if actually hitting the person. Aim towards the feet. Being under the opponent ALWAYS has the advantage. That's just how it works. Bullet it under. Not over.

● Lagging:

If a player is lagging. Don't fret, pull out a Melee and chop em up. Lagging players can still be hurt by melee weapons.

● Wall Hugging:

If a player is hugging walls. The solution is simple. If they are on the bottom wall. Use a shotgun. If they are on the sides. Use something explosive like an artillery cannon.

● Numbers DONT MATTER:

No matter what you think or people say. Numbers do not matter. It does not determine skill. And most often can not be trusted. Stats can be very deceiving. So don't be afraid to push your limits. It's not about how many you beat. It's WHO you beat.

That about concludes this guide. I may add onto it in the future. And I hope this helps. Welcome to sparring. Glad to have you here.
    They want to see you do good.
    But never better than them.

Remember that.

That took ages to type xd

Remember that.

dude great advice

- - - Updated - - -

I actually. Use all of these

- - - Updated - - -

But 1 at a time

Wallhugging? Eating?

Lmaoo no wonder i quit sparring..

the "tiger claws" already have a name. It's called walling.
    http://maidendarkness.deviantart.com/art/Gin-Ichimaru-Signature-283794110
    Kamishini no yari

Quote Originally Posted by Cero View Post
    the "tiger claws" already have a name. It's called walling.
    Tiger Claws sounds so much more epic Tho

Remember that.

Giving the secrets away lol

All secrets are in this thread

Banned
    Great guide.

This should help a lot of new players!

I forgot to mention, time the hits. Weave through gaps. Don't go around. Go under. Be a snaaake. A sneaaky snaaake. Slithery snaaake. I'm a sthnaaaake

Remember that.