Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GST 2016: Thoughts

GST 2016: Thoughts

So GST 2016 is behind us, and I just want to thank everybody for coming out-- viewers, those who played, and those who helped in the moderation on the Twitch chat.

Congratulations to Shrekt, for continuing their reign as champions!

To the other gangs who competed - better luck next time!
    I feel like everybody who participated this year benefited in some way.
    True, the achievement of a goal is a great thing, but never discount the value of pursuance.

It's great fun pursuing a goal -- the week leading up to GST, I joined Enigmatic during their training sessions, and went many rounds in BaseBattle as they went against one-another in their sub gang.
    I don't know about them, but I had a blast playing, and joining their voice chat Discord channel.
    There was also one night when I raided Neo Zone with a couple Club members-- again, I had a blast.

So if you're feeling down about the loss, remember the fun that you had in the pursuance of that goal.
    If you're anything like me, you'll have some nice moments to dwell upon.

At any rate, I've watched and listened to the YouTube upload twice this since its airing, and replayed a couple parts.
    Below is a couple things that I've noted; while the match was going on, and in hindsight as I watched the archived stream.

• My internet connection was choppy at certain parts.
      I apologize for this; I realized that I was lagging at certain points (and noted it in the commentary). Unfortunately, there wasn't much I could do during the event-- Next time I'll try and reset my modem and router prior to streaming; and maybe use an Ethernet connection versus WiFi.

• Matches were dragged out.
      Last year, we received complaints that the arena was too easy to exploit-- gangs only had to rush the bottom, and push their opponents upward. Our response to that was to fill the bottom with water, so that people would have an extreme vulnerability as they make their trek into enemy territory.
      Well it worked-- and in my opinion, it worked too well. Practically every match was a cold war-- everybody was holding their respective positions, and not much movement was being made. (Thank goodness for the pushers out there who took risks and made it interesting!)
      Moving forward, I want to revisit the arena layouts; and find a happy medium between last year and this year. I want some slight vulnerability, so that the matches don't last so long, but not too much vulnerability that the recipe to victory is clear-cut.

• I reportedly butchered some names.
      Hey- I'm not perfect =D!

• I was the only commentator.
      We planned on my brother joining us, but he couldn't make it that morning. No matter though - I've done commentary by myself for years. Going into this, I knew that I could talk forever, and I expected the matches to be as fast-paced as they were last year. That latter part, I couldn't have been more wrong. I didn't anticipate the arena discouraging offensive plays as much as it did.

It is a commentator's job to keep things interesting throughout the duration of the stream, even when nothing is going on. And for the most part, I feel that I do this very well and natural. I've been told that it is the on-the-spot nicknames that I give people, and the impromptu story lines behind them. Even when I'm not streaming, my brother and I have always done this -- I don't know about him, but this is how I commit people to memory.

At any rate, this is what keeps everybody(including myself) entertained when I'm the only commentator is on deck, and I can keep it up as long as there are things going on -- I don't like sounding redundant. I feel that I'm doing myself, and everybody else a disservice if I'm repeating myself.

I confess, the way the matches were dragging out this year, really made me wish I had somebody else on the microphone to bounce some conversation off of. Last year I had Zenthor+Casper, and it worked really well. It also allowed me to give some attention to the Twitch chat, because Zenthor was keeping me up to date on the happenings there.

So moving forward, I'm going to make sure I have at least 1 person commentating with me.

Post any comments you had on GST2016 - what you liked, what(or how) you think it could be improved moving forward, etc.

I do like the player response that we had, and I really had fun hosting it!

I think that, moving forward, I'm going to be doing some more commentary on smaller events
    (randomly sitting in on basing fights, gang spar battles, base battle, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
    Meph
    Tune in for live streaming action from gang bases, events, and other iEra activities, with commentary!

Honestly I didn't like the arena as it felt like every match was being fought using roughly the same tactics (though it'd be hard to create an arena that helped to make each match different, unless it were randomized)

Rodeo
    I didn't really like the mirror thing going on at the bottom, nor the T. I think the bottom of the map should be worked on more for next year.
    Feel free to message me if you have questions or concerns

Haven't been around fully see everyone in gst but it was good.
    The arena looked a little bit Empty, but what made it better is that most of the pushing was all depending on who won the top.
    Each player who had mid was locking it down and scared to push up in a fashion order.
    The Bottom was like a resting zone, and it seems as if shrekt had each player who got tired take a break while other gangs just stayed on going without rest.

Maybe i'm wrong? Maybe I'm not?
    Other then that, it was worth to come back to see what's going on.
    Ex iEra Lat
    Ex iZone Lat Admin.

Level Thread: http://www.era-go.com/forum/showthre...z-level-thread

Xbox User Name: Ask

Twitch User Name: BrokenJay
    https://www.twitch.tv/brokenjay

YouTube User Name:BrokenJay (Was Clueless)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzF...gBcXS1_0105hnw

Haiii.

I had a lot of fun during GST season, from the GST loggings in Base Battle to the event itself.

My thoughts on this GST is with two issues:

Narrow hallways
    I think the main issue with players not pushing much was due to the narrow hallways joining the two sides of the arena together, the top lane being the only exception. Having that lack of space to maneuver allowed players to trade bullet streams through those hallways but without having a good chance at pushing through them (which is also a big issue with bases too). The common result was a stalemate; waiting for one team to make minor mistakes and break down before the big push.

Originally, I was supposed to position myself at the top-middle lane (center), but during practices I was unable to play at my best due to the restrictive space I had to be confined in, along with the fact that I use a 10-freeze gun, thus maintaining a counterattack a bit difficult if I got caught in waves of bullets. Just hours before GST started, my position changed to starting at the top instead, and from there I felt more comfortable since I had plenty of space to work with. I noticed in GST a lot of yellow and orange guns, and those players came prepared for the hallways.

But if those hallways were more wider like the top, players would feel more confident and find more room in pushing to dodge bullet-storms when possible, and for defenders, they would have to relay more on their skills to dodge as well and push back the opponents. The top saw the most action since it provided the most spacious area for the two teams to meet. Even when one team had control of the top, the other still had a chance at pushing back -- good ol' peekaboo.

Best of 3 finals
    The best of 3 rounds starting at the semi-finals seemed to really drag it out for me, I feel it would be better to save that for the finals only. It keeps the last match-up of the GST more interesting.

Great work on the stream and commentary I really enjoyed that. A big thanks to the host Anero for toughing it out for 7+ hours as well and keeping GST organized.

Also, congratulations to Shrekt on winning GST a second time in a row!

Banned
    What the hell.. I miss it? I tho it was gonna be at 21st august..

Too much ec given out, I believe Freeze and Shrekt made over 50+ ec.
    If you have any questions or concerns towards era, be sure to send me a message.
     Spoiler
    Admins walking through start.

Quote Originally Posted by Zernov View Post
    Too much ec given out, I believe Freeze and Shrekt made over 50+ ec.
    I mean this is a hard event to win and it is deserving of such rewards.

Zephlyn
    I have a lot of things to say about this GST. This GST had a lot of positive aspects that I liked a lot, and it should be keep like that to the next GST's.

This GST was a innovating one, I had a lot of fun even though I only got to play 1 match, but it was everything intense, and that's a good thing, but even though this was a fun GST, this one had some minor things, some major, to be improved.

First of all, i'll point out the things that they did excellent. As Meph said before, the bottom was not the main focus this year, and that's really good, the arena was made for the action be at the top or the middle, and the arena was a main focus on that. Even though the arena was decided as the public wanted, I really felt that it was made for playing defensive, and that's why every match lasted about 30 mins, something that was not as usual as on the past GST's. And I felt really bored on watching all the matches being defensive, something that it comes to be really boring for everyone since it's way more fun a GST were you could take risk's and rush.

Talking more about the arena layout, I felt that this arena was too small, I saw other GST videos and this arena was too small compared to others, so instead of making small arenas, for the next time I would make it more bigger, and more aggressive, it's fun to watch some action happening and that will make the GST shorter.
    Adding the idea of making the arena more aggressive will have a important role on everyone too - it will make everyone have a important role in the GST.

Another thing to point out: the arenas on the next GST's should be tested before, since it can happen as it did on this year, to have changes when few days are left for the GST and make it harder to practice everything again.

Going to the positive things, this year livestream was awesome, I liked a lot how the made rosters for some of the gangs, and the livestream was very well organized in general, some little aspects that people were pointing out is that the livestream was too laggy, which that's a little detail to improve for the next time, but I completely understand to be laggy since you're making a livestream. Maybe for the next time, Meph should make more rosters for the gangs, since it was a very cool detail.

A thing that bothered me though, was the best of 3 at the semis, I don't see any reason of doing this since the livestream was taking too long, and making it to the best of 3 makes it even longer, also I think that this year gave out a lot of EC's, so adding the best of 3 would provoce people to get even more EC's. So maybe for the next year they should make it the best of 3 only in the finals, since the GST takes a lot of time.

Also, I liked a lot the change they made this year, of adding a new way to logging in into this tournament, and taking one that didn't require skill at all. Implementing Base Battle was a excellent idea, and it was very fun to log in by Base Battle, I had a lot of fun doing it. A change I would make for hte next time is to take the basing logging, since the GST now are based on Multiplex guns, a thing that basing doesn't use, and putting in the Gang TTS (not released yet) I would make it a fun way to qualify.

And the last thing, commentating this year was very good, I really like how Meph makes comments, but it would be more interesting to have someone else, I could think of Meph to be really tired. For the next time inviting someone else for the next GST will make it more fun, maybe inviting Anero wouldn't be a bad idea.

This year GST was very intense, and they did a lot of good things overall, thanks to all the staff's that got involved into this and made this thing happen!

I'd be more than happy to commentate with you. My friends often call me Radio Man, or the guy with a youtuber voice and I've been wanting to put it to use.
    Please message me here: http://www.era-go.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=79 if you have any questions or concerns!

Welcome to Era-Go, a way to better interact with the Era community!