Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GST 2016: Thoughts

I'd be interested in commentating next year as well. I'm not a staff or anything fancy but I could view the matches from a spectators pov and address the twitch chat. As for this year's GST, I really enjoyed watching it even though it was lengthy. One thing I'd like to see changed is the amount of stand off areas. The outcome of matches usually tends to be whoever moves out of position at the wrong time and just gets flooded. I'd like to see more straight up player battles and less bullet spamming down a hallway praying that something hits. The commentary was pretty nice, not to be a suck up but your voice is pretty damn fresh Meph. Anyways, pretty good GST, can't wait till next year's.
    Message me if you ever need advice, I'm not the wisest person on the planet but I'll do my best to help you out.

You can find me in-game under the name "Tim Z." or by searching up "Zephlyn" in the gangs section.

Overall this GST was good, my only complaint is how dragged the matches were. They went on for way too long. I also agree with Ren that the best of 3 should be saved for the finals.
    :}
    Need help? Pm me here on the forums or in-game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D12* View Post
    Going to the positive things, this year livestream was awesome, I liked a lot how the made rosters for some of the gangs, and the livestream was very well organized in general, some little aspects that people were pointing out is that the livestream was too laggy, which that's a little detail to improve for the next time, but I completely understand to be laggy since you're making a livestream. Maybe for the next time, Meph should make more rosters for the gangs, since it was a very cool detail.
    The team line-up graphics already took me over 20 hours, and I was halfway through.
    If the teams were known weeks before, I could have probably made it.
    I had to search for the player's heads, their locations, place their flags - it looks like it's easy to make but it was really tiring.
    Overall, I invested over 100 hours into the livestream.. looking for music and buying licenses for a couple, making graphics, making 2D/3D animations..

BO3's happened because I wanted to see who was the best team. Best of 3's are better.
    Maybe, with a more open arena, it would've looked differently.

For next year, I'll try my best to get Meph's brother on here.
    Meph and Masa are the best possible duo in my eyes and I'd rather not have people who I do not trust, commentate. We don't want to hear the complaints from pre-2015 GST.

Quote Originally Posted by Anero View Post
    The team line-up graphics already took me over 20 hours, and I was halfway through.
    I had to search for the player's heads, their locations - it looks like it's easy to make but it was really tiring.
    Overall, I invested over 100 hours into the livestream.. looking for music and buying licenses for a couple, making graphics, making 2D/3D animations..

BO3's happened because I wanted to see who was the best team. Best of 3's are better.

Meph and Masa are the best possible duo in my eyes and I'd rather not have people who I do not trust, commentate. We don't want to hear the complaints from pre-2015 GST.
    When I read that "BO3" I was like "tf? Black ops 3?" Lel

League Of Legends Player
    Server: Eu West
    Name: SlapjackQ8
    Add me, everyone is welcome

I was in 2016 gst only lasted 1 round doe and it was a good gst tbh
    the commentating was great and the
    arena was good aswell but the bottom was the bad part it was practically never fought for somebody even got kicked for afking at bottom the water idea was good tho
    The matches took awhile cause after every match yall did a 5-10 min break
    Overall it Was Decent

Rodeo
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD MONEY View Post
    What the hell.. I miss it? I tho it was gonna be at 21st august..
    There's so many threads about it....
    Feel free to message me if you have questions or concerns

hwaryun
    Meph, you mentioned how the matches were dragged out, and I have a couple of ideas to throw around in consideration for GST 2017.

Move or Die (Yes, based on that one game)
    As you said, a majority of the matches were pretty much like a cold war, until a few pushers decide to rush and deal some damage before dying/ killing someone. Since no one moves, an idea that I have is to make it so that if a player does not move for x amount of seconds, x amount of damage is either dealt to them OR an effect, such as a stun or a knock-up will be dealt upon the player.

While this does make holding a tactical position challenging (which I do understand), this would prevent a gang from rushing a place that lets them spam infinitely without any danger. Also, this would add a variable that players have to take into account while fighting, which I hope, would help solve your problem of players endlessly spamming and encourage planned out movement to avoid dying from not moving and dodging bullets.

Stages
    I watched parts of your stream and (sorry to whoever designed the arena) the background was kinda harsh on your eyes (or I could have the eyes of an eighty year old man) and gets dull. Although blue is my favourite colour, I am sure people who were watching were probably getting bored of seeing it + watching extended fire fights with absolutely no change for minutes.

Hire the best and brightest GFX minds of this forum! I am sure they could whip up a few background designs here and there, put furniture that would serve as barricades instead of just solid black lines across the screen. Make it fun! Although GST is 90% players, 10% players watching the players compete, don't forget about the 10%! Make sure that GST is as inclusive as you can. A tropical background with palm trees and sand, an island map, where players would travel on water and fight on patches of land, etc!

Going off varieties of stages and my previous idea (above) we could mix in a few stage specific (possibly) fatalities here and there. The island map for example, could have piranhas that would snap at people's ankles if you stay in the water too long/ get shot while in the water. We could have a volcano map, where occasionally lava would shoot up, burning players, a skate park map, where players would have to switch between their guns and their skateboards to navigate, a labyrinth map, where the stage changes every couple of minutes and a spot where you could spam safely would suddenly be wide open. There are TONS of ideas that could come from this, and I think we could utilize it. I would like to see more interactive backgrounds, instead of the blue carpet.

Oh! I would also like to add that adding a variety of backgrounds for different stages of the tournament (ex. lava stage for 16 teams, island stage for 8 teams and so on) would prevent teams from immediately rushing to a familiar spot- they would have to try things out intuitively and play as they go, breaking a stalemate. Also, I would love to be a part of the commentary for you! It seems like so much fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anero View Post
    I had to search for the player's heads, their locations, place their flags - it looks like it's easy to make but it was really tiring.

Anero, maybe you could ask a couple of the GFX artists we have on forums. Many of them make amazing graphics and animations and I am sure they would have been happy to help.

Boring as hell to watch. Not because of you just because wasn't much happening at all.

Nous savons ce que nous sommes, mais savons pas ce que nous pouvons ĂȘtre.

William Shakespear

hwaryun
    Quote Originally Posted by Czar Misago View Post
    Boring as hell to watch. Not because of you just because wasn't much happening at all.
    Constructive criticism or helpful suggestions please.
    Also, your signature is missing an e at the end.

GST 2016 was hella fun to be honest and I really wanna thank you and Anero for hosting the event in such a moderated and organized fashion.
    Matches took very long like for example; against Magus both our matches combined took 46 minutes x.x

Anyways, we won and I would like to congratulate everybody else who participated for giving it a shot and making this event even better!

Good Game Messiah, Wario, Magus, and iFreeze