Thread: Need Tips for Making a Video Game ...

God

Post Need Tips for Making a Video Game ...

Greetings comrades.

The title is self-explanatory. I'm currently indie developing a giant MMO (It's working so far... lol) and am confused on some things.

I have a lot of the elements assembled in writing, but I'm finally moving onto the engine building. I'm using UE4, nothing will change that. I also have the newest Photoshop and Blender, AND Crazybump for bump mapping.

So obviously I need textures. I know great realistic game creators buy the most expensive cameras and go out and take pictures of everything, but I'm not going that advanced. I was thinking of just using textures from sites and Google and making them seamless. If they're free, anyone can use them, so... they're there for a reason.

I also have Blender for making my 3D Models. This is where I am confused. Will Blender be where I spend many of my days, just making buildings, characters, models, etc. or am I supposed to use something else for making all these models that I will need. No, I'm not buying Maya. I'm assuming my process is - - -

Blender a model, apply texture (***also for this, is it easier to add texture in UE4 or Blender?***), put it into the game, make everything work together. I may be completely overthinking all of this, so that's why I am on the forums. I'll take any extra tips and stuff, and maybe you can answer my questions.
    MCMXCVV
    "I Think I'll Kill I Am."

Graphics Thread:

If you're good with blender or what not then use any type of textures for 3D models, though you should check what's trending theses days, these days 8bit games are the thing those old MMORPG 3D games are not downloaded much anymore like Celtic heroes or pocket legends... Try something like Pewdiepie's tuber simulator, or if you want to add 3D to it try something similiar to the style of Egg.inc, the success comes mostly from the creativity and originality, good luck.
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA

God
    Well it's supposed to be a very, very, very large PC MMO. I absolutely adore MMOs but things such as World of Warcraft and SWTOR seem to be dying except for their dedicated playerbase, mostly due to the subscription and well, age. Yeah yeah, you can't indie a giant PC game... well I am. There is no MMO that seems to share my ideas and plans...

I was just curious if there was another way you're supposed to use Blender, or if I'm just an idiot. The way I thought, was to create models and then ship them into the engine, either applying textures in the engine or Blender and then creating the world etc. Wasn't too sure though.
    MCMXCVV

Graphics Thread:

God
    Quote Originally Posted by RazFace View Post
    For video game creation, 3d tools wouldn't differ much use what ever you're comfortable with. The process of modeling, texturing, animating.. Etc for a video game is similar in all 3d programs. And blender can definitely do the job.
    Ah, alright. Thank you. Was just curious haha.
    MCMXCVV

Graphics Thread:

God
    Would you like to show some pictures of what you've done? Like the characters for example?
    I haven't really started yet. Like I said, I have most things written down, but I didn't want to start modelling in Blender or anything and find out that's what I'm NOT supposed to do. I'll probably make a new thread with game dev progress though.

And if you mean like, pencil drawings... I just use what comes to me. Haha.
    MCMXCVV

Graphics Thread:

God
    Oh, how great is your knowledge in :

Scripting? Or (Blueprints in UE4)

3d Design?
    I haven't done much in C++ yet... but I have been playing with blueprints and getting used to them.
    I also haven't done too much in 3D yet- mainly playing around with sculpting stuff. Haha I'm starting off fairly inexperienced.
    MCMXCVV

Graphics Thread:

God
    Oh, that's fine if you have the well to learn.

But you don't need to focus on visuals (textures and so on) in such early stage. Because it might not be as fun as you thought when you play the game.

So Focus on coding, gameplay and game testing, finding out which actions are more fun. Using Simple 3d designs.
    Really? I was gonna start with textures and models. I guess I'll just get the actual game mechanics working first... :P
    MCMXCVV

Graphics Thread:

Well this is interesting. Indie game makers have always gone for some kind of Retro games, with FnaF as an exception.
    You really don't need to work on the beauty as much if the storyline is great. It's basically your choice where you want to work. Either on blender making the character models, scripting your game, or constructing your storyline. However, you should always start with the storyline before constructing the levels and tiles. Trust me, it'll help.

I'll leave it at that, since I'm not so familiar with these kind of games. But in my uneducated opinion, I don't think indie game makers should be making MMOs.

Ex Player Relations, Ex Newspaper Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ItzTerry!
    In Terry we Trust

God
    Quote Originally Posted by ItzTerry View Post
    Well this is interesting. Indie game makers have always gone for some kind of Retro games, with FnaF as an exception.
    You really don't need to work on the beauty as much if the storyline is great. It's basically your choice where you want to work. Either on blender making the character models, scripting your game, or constructing your storyline. However, you should always start with the storyline before constructing the levels and tiles. Trust me, it'll help.

I'll leave it at that, since I'm not so familiar with these kind of games. But in my uneducated opinion, I don't think indie game makers should be making MMOs.
    Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I've known from the start that it's a bit of a stretch to indie develop for a genre that usually takes a huge work force. I eventually want to start up a Kickstart and get some backing... but I can't do much until I actually have content haha, or at least a playable game- that's usually where everybody starts, right?

I suppose I should insert an actual full fledged storyline instead of a rough story sketch first; that may help with designing the areas better. I'm debating where I SHOULD start though.

I like the idea of getting all the mechanics down first, but at the same time I feel that without actual models and an area to screw around in, I'd have a harder time setting up certain important mechanics. So I may just start with textures and some VERY basic Blender models, add mechanics, and then get into the huge amount of detail. My initial thoughts was to build from the ground (literally) up, but I may still stick with that idea.

We'll see I suppose.
    MCMXCVV

Graphics Thread: