Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Point of Gas Launchers?

hwaryun

What's the Point of Gas Launchers?

For a weapon that costs 100 event coins, which is a sizeable amount regardless of how much event coins you have earned during your gameplay, one thing that I have always had a problem with was the overall purpose of gas launchers.

I don't actually hate the design of gas launchers. In fact, I actually love the overall idea of being able to shoot gas of your choosing (confusion, burning, poison) but nowadays I feel like it's moot.

While the gas launcher was released for as long as I can remember, the fact of the matter is that the gas launcher's efficiency and use was doomed from the start. Back then, not only were there less people on era but less people also owned gas mask/ didn't realize the significance of gas masks.

Fast forward to now and all you see are those "hardcore" sparrers that strut around with their 12.5k, 20k or whatever gas masks as a result of sparring at the spar complex. You can even get gas masks from MPX (which even though it requires lower wins, it is offset by the fact that there are comparatively less people in MPX than in complex) and as a reward from pking a certain amount of people. Of course, the option of buying a mask still remains. (Also wanted to note that since the value of a gralat has massively decreased as this game progressed post- bar, gas masks are actually pretty easy to obtain with gralats as well.)

With the prevalence of gas masks, even if a pker enters a base and gets killed by a gas launcher user, he/ she can always put their handy dandy gas masks and pretty much destroy 90% of a gas launcher's purpose.

From my understanding, there is a grenade mode for the gas launcher. While I personally like this mode as well, I feel like GA's need to do something that focuses on the "gas" aspect of the launcher, not just try and accommodate problems by sticking on new and alternate modes for a gun that has the word "gas" in it.

One suggestion is to let gas masks filter out the gas that you can place down but let the gas from a gas launcher affect someone wearing a mask.

Of course, this would mean that alternate descriptions/ gasses would have to be made to justify this. (Ex. "Enhanced gas" or even a different type of gas)

Another suggestion is to make it so that the gas launcher has x% chance of penetrating the mask and make the wearer suffer the effects.

Anyways, I am curious as to how owners of the gas launchers use it themselves. Do you guys actually bother using the gas mode or do you primarily use it to attack people across walls?

Food for thought.

~thyme
    Last edited by hwaryun; 01-25-2017 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Was being an idiot and didn't spell check.

cat supremacist Lieutenant
    From what I've seen, people only use the grenade function for basing.
    The gas is in start for trolling or trolling in general.
    Last edited by leaf me alone; 01-25-2017 at 01:58 AM.

only basers no whats its used for. let me explain what the point of it is. The grenade does 15 damage which is useful in pking forts, for basing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Asian From Australia, 2 years till Uni
    Pm 'Costo' for any questions
    I like BLACKPINK cause korean girls are cute
    Kpop is generally taking over the world, if you like kpop we can be friends
    #Erasince2014

hwaryun
    Quote Originally Posted by Kos2o179 View Post
    only basers no whats its used for. let me explain what the point of it is. The grenade does 15 damage which is useful in pking forts, for basing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See, this is what I am talking about. The only thing you mentioned here was the function of the grenade, which I am aware of. I am also aware that the grenade is actually pretty good if you can use it properly.

But my point is that if people are going to use the gas launcher for grenade purposes, you can a). Call it grenade launcher 2.0 or b). Find a way to make the gas launcher used as a way to put gas down, like the name suggests.

Of course that doesn't mean that the grenade function would be taken away- it would just mean that GA's would need to find a way to make it so that more people use the gas launcher for gas purposes.

Gas launchers aren't underpowered, flamethrower is just overpowered.

Regardless of the reduced effectiveness of the gas, the grenade mode is still extremely strong in taking certain bases from over a all. using it to help block entrances from a safe position etc. It kills anyone over a wall who is afk for just a second. There is already enough of an issue with the grenade/ explosive spam in bases, adding more effective gas from the launcher is just going to make it worse.

It's a gas launcher, it shoots gas. It doesn't need to have the grenade effect removed just because it's more effective.
    If that was to happen then I may aswell remove the explosive mode from the Chemical gun, as the slime bomb mode is the chemical part of the gun yet isn't used by players as the primary.

hwaryun
    Quote Originally Posted by BiTzSam View Post
    Gas launchers aren't underpowered, flamethrower is just overpowered.

Regardless of the reduced effectiveness of the gas, the grenade mode is still extremely strong in taking certain bases from over a all. using it to help block entrances from a safe position etc. It kills anyone over a wall who is afk for just a second. There is already enough of an issue with the grenade/ explosive spam in bases, adding more effective gas from the launcher is just going to make it worse.

It's a gas launcher, it shoots gas. It doesn't need to have the grenade effect removed just because it's more effective.
    If that was to happen then I may aswell remove the explosive mode from the Chemical gun, as the slime bomb mode is the chemical part of the gun yet isn't used by players as the primary.
    I mean I am fine with the grenade aspect of the gas launcher. All I am asking is do you have any ideas as to how to make the gas aspect relevant for use also?
    I didn't mention the flamethrower in this thread D:.

I know you didn't mention flame I just pointed it out before someone else did "Gas launcher is same price as flame but flame is way better".
    The gas or flame debate has come up multiple times before

hwaryun
    Quote Originally Posted by BiTzSam View Post
    I know you didn't mention flame I just pointed it out before someone else did "Gas launcher is same price as flame but flame is way better".
    The gas or flame debate has come up multiple times before
    Ah, I can see how people would say that...

Anyways, quick question. How do you use the gas launcher? Also, in what way do you think that the gas launcher differentiates itself from the grenade launcher besides the range?

Thyme let me teach you something, if Ace or BiTzSam says no it's not gonna happen....

They basically have all of iEra at their knees
    Formerly known as "AliGamer911".

Newcomer
    I like the idea of 'Enhanced gas'.