Thread: Knight/Knave Paradox

Knight/Knave Paradox

There are two people on the island. They're categorized as knights and knaves. A knight always tells the truth, while a knave never tells the truth. Sylvester says that Carl is a knave, and carl says that Sylvester is a knight.

Who's a knight and who's a knave?
    The one and only

LEPTO

feel free to pm me

Special thanks to Froz for making my avatar

well I'm Marg

Both of them

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Link Co View Post
    Both of them

If both were knights, sylvester would be telling the truth, but then Carl would be lying (since silvester says he's a knave), so carl would be a knave. This would make Sylvester a knave, which makes Carl a knight because Carl would not be a knave. Then, Sylvester would be a knight, and the cycle continues.

If boh were knaves, Sylvester would be a knave (who says that Carl's a knave, which would be a lie because Sylvester's a knave), and so carl'd have to be a knight. This can't be true, otherwise Sylvester'd be a knight, and sylvester can't be a knight, otherwise Carl's a knave. Carl would then say that Sylvester's a knight, thus making him a knave since Carl's lying. Then, the cycle continues.

With the current amount of information, this can't be solved. Thus, why it's a paradox.

- - - Updated - - -

Both of them

If both were knights, sylvester would be telling the truth, but then Carl would be lying (since silvester says he's a knave), so carl would be a knave. This would make Sylvester a knave, which makes Carl a knight because Carl would not be a knave. Then, Sylvester would be a knight, and the cycle continues.

If boh were knaves, Sylvester would be a knave (who says that Carl's a knave, which would be a lie because Sylvester's a knave), and so carl'd have to be a knight. This can't be true, otherwise Sylvester'd be a knight, and sylvester can't be a knight, otherwise Carl's a knave. Carl would then say that Sylvester's a knight, thus making him a knave since Carl's lying. Then, the cycle continues.

With the current amount of information, this can't be solved. Thus, why it's a paradox.

- - - Updated - - -

Both of them

The one and only

LEPTO

feel free to pm me

O

knew it

People can change ok?
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA

Banned
    so carl said that sylvs a knight aka he lied so sylvs a knave

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyaudi1 View Post
    People can change ok?
    In the real world, yes. But in this fabricated dimension of knights and knaves, people are assigned to be knights and knaves from birth, and stay that way for the rest of their lives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graal Pro View Post
    so carl said that sylvs a knight aka he lied so sylvs a knave
    But if sylvester was a knave via carls suggestion, that would cause carl to be a knight, since sylvester would lie about carl being a knave
    The one and only

LEPTO

feel free to pm me