View Poll Results: Should this rating system be implemented?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 25.00%
  • No

1 25.00%
  • Yes, but with changes

2 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rating System for Sparring

Rating System for Sparring

NOTE: This post is quite long and if you choose not to read the whole thing at least read the basics and the conclusion.

Basics
    I have developed a very simple rating system that uses a player's wins and losses to calculate a rating for a player. The higher the rating, the better the player should be. When a player goes into a sparring match, their rating would be displayed for everyone to see, similar to how a player's wins are displayed when they enter a sparring match.

Formula:
    Let W = number of wins
    Let L = number of Losses
    Let R = rating

If a player has 0 wins OR 0 losses:
    R = (W + 1)^2

Else
    R = (W + L) * (W / L)

Why Use This Rating System?
    There are several reasons why I think this rating system should be implemented.

1) It adds a new level of competition to the game (players with more wins would not be considered better than players with fewer wins necessarily). There could also be a whole new leaderboard based on players' ratings.
    2) You can calculate your chances of winning by comparing your rating to someone else's (see below for more information)
    3) Players could get a more accurate view of how good their opponent is in a spar.
    4) As far as I know, there are no rating systems (at least like this) implemented in Era as of now. It would be fun to have a rating system in my opinion.

How to Calculate Your Chances of Winning
    WARNING: This section involves a bit of mathematics and may confuse you. This section is only for people who want to understand how the rating system works.

By comparing your rating to another player's rating, you can calculate your chances of winning against another player using a simple formula.

Assume we have two players, Player A with rating 2300 and Player B with rating 9400.

Step 1) Find the rating quotient
    Let Q = rating quotient
    Let A = rating of Player A
    Let B = rating of Player B

Q = A / B

In this case Q = 2300/9400 = 0.2447

Step 2) Inverse Step
    If Q > 1, perform the following:
    Q = 1 / Q

In this example, this step is not needed. So Q still is equal to 0.2447

Step 3) Divide Q By 2
    Q = Q / 2

In this step Q = 0.2447 / 2 = 0.1223

Step 4) Multiply Q By 100
    Q = Q * 100

In this step Q = 0.1223 * 100 = 12.23

Step 5) Analysis
    Q is now the percent chance that Player A will win, and (100 - Q) is the percent chance that player B will win.
    However, if you had to perform Step 2, then 100 - Q is the percent chance that Player A will win and Q is the percent chance that Player B will win.

So, in this example, Player A has about a 12.23% chance of winning whereas Player B would have about an 87.77% chance of winning.

Conclusion
    Just so you guys know, this rating system is entirely created by me, ever bit of it. You will find nothing online about this rating system or find it in any other games. Anyway, I think Era would benefit from using this rating system. The only issue I see is players boosting to get a better rating. Are there any flaws in this rating system? In the formulas? Or would this rating system just be a bad idea to implement? Feedback is appreciated. Also, make sure to give suggestions if you have any. Thanks!

Oh, and don't forget to ask questions, because hopefully I will be able to answer them for you guys.

And the boosters? Where's their rating?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Every Pro Was Once A Noob.
    Every Expert Was Once An Amateur...
    Growing Bigger Is Just A Matter Of Time
    ATT-

Quote Originally Posted by iMagicBae View Post
    And the boosters? Where's their rating?

As always, there are going to be spar boosters who boost their stats. You can find a thread on boosting somewhere on this site if you don't know what it is. As for what their rating will be, it depends on how much they boost. Boosters should be banned as how they are banned currently, so if some player is climbing the leaderboards very quickly a moderator/admin could teleport to them and spectate them to see if they are actually boosting. Then they would get punished for it.

Ooooh, this system is being very interesting, well done ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    As always, there are going to be spar boosters who boost their stats. You can find a thread on boosting somewhere on this site if you don't know what it is. As for what their rating will be, it depends on how much they boost. Boosters should be banned as how they are banned currently, so if some player is climbing the leaderboards very quickly a moderator/admin could teleport to them and spectate them to see if they are actually boosting. Then they would get punished for it.
    I know what they are lmao, i have 26k wins.

Every Pro Was Once A Noob.
    Every Expert Was Once An Amateur...
    Growing Bigger Is Just A Matter Of Time
    ATT-

Quote Originally Posted by iMagicBae View Post
    I know what they are lmao, i have 26k wins.

Oh haha I wasn't sure what you meant at first.

ehhh, me don't know
    Ask me anything and ill try my best to answer

Your winning odds feel flawed

Let
    A = 9400
    B = 2300

Thus
    Q = 9400 / 2300
    Q = 4.087

As Q > 1
    Q = 1 / 4.087
    Q = 0.245

We divide Q by 2
    Q = 0.245/2
    Q = 0.123

We multiply Q by 100
    Q = 0.123 * 100
    Q = 12.3

Therefore by switching A and B, the higher rated person, A, now has the lower chance of winning.
    Author of EraAWSD: http://era-go.com/forum/showthread.p...l=1#post195094 (Updated 15-09-2015)

Just some music... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41Rrk_6rzs (Updated 02-20-2016)

So you mean make a K/D (kill death ratio) but for spar and turn it into percentage ?
    You're over complicating things
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA

Quote Originally Posted by Vacci View Post
    Your winning odds feel flawed

Let
    A = 9400
    B = 2300

Thus
    Q = 9400 / 2300
    Q = 4.087

As Q > 1
    Q = 1 / 4.087
    Q = 0.245

We divide Q by 2
    Q = 0.245/2
    Q = 0.123

We multiply Q by 100
    Q = 0.123 * 100
    Q = 12.3

Therefore by switching A and B, the higher rated person, A, now has the lower chance of winning.
    If you had to perform Step 2, then (100 - Q) is the chance that Player A will win, thus Player A would have about an 87% chance of winning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyaudi1 View Post
    So you mean make a K/D (kill death ratio) but for spar and turn it into percentage ?
    You're over complicating things
    The rating system is more than a KD for spar. This rating system is designed to give a numerical rating to players which serves as a way to indicate a player's relative skill level. This rating system relies on total number of games played and win-loss ratio in the belief that players acquire skill through experience in all games and how many wins they have per loss. This system encourages players to play more, and most of all, win.