Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Isn't this basically racism?

Quote Originally Posted by Zanygraal View Post
    I mean, it's not horrible. There's definitely much worse things that a player can call you (not to say there should be any name calling). I'm called an "Astro noob" every time I show up at events or am in a public area lol

A lot of players get bent out of shape when they're called things like a "noob", even though the meaning of that isn't really bad. Sometimes you need to grow thicker skin. But it all depends on the context it's being used in too.
    Well to be fair you do wear those astro noob glasses

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lyk12345 View Post
    But there should be at least some protection for those who will mind being called like that. Such as an option to censor these words. Etc

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk
    Call me a noob and I'll kick ur ***

Nous savons ce que nous sommes, mais savons pas ce que nous pouvons être.

William Shakespear

Malaysia, where the economy is worst than ever
    In reply to everyone who thinks I'm using the term 'racism' wrongly.
    Think again.

Eras players are considering people that hang out in Astro's 'Players that are out of the ordinary'. Basically saying they are of another race, of another kind.

Personally,i do feel the use of the term racism can apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostG View Post
    In reply to everyone who thinks I'm using the term 'racism' wrongly.
    Think again.

Eras players are considering people that hang out in Astro's 'Players that are out of the ordinary'. Basically saying they are of another race, of another kind.

Personally,i do feel the use of the term racism can apply here.
    Astro
    Isn't
    A
    Race
    Please
    Please

I'm a Cowboy Bay-Bee Sottocapo
    I really appreciate your response to this "astro noob" issue and yes I respect your stand.

However, some things I can accept and some I cannot tolerate. Things that I cannot tolerate include mocking someone's opinion (even though it may be intended as a joke) because this is a blatant disregard and disrespect to another's opinion. The person who started the thread may have used the wrong word, but the point raised by him was valid and it is something everyone ought to reflect on. And perhaps thing of ways to stop this.

I cannot tolerate a toxic environment, I doubt most players can too. So it's best if some things are clarified strictly. Some values and forum ettiqutte must be made clear and hence the serious stance on this matter.

You can't exactly censor "Astro Noob", and honestly, that'd make a great animation.
    If you dislike terms such as "Astro" or "Noob", either shut off your chat or leave the game. Simple.
    They're light words, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

racism kills

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkEra View Post
    You can't exactly censor "Astro Noob", and honestly, that'd make a great animation.
    If you dislike terms such as "Astro" or "Noob", either shut off your chat or leave the game. Simple.
    They're light words, and shouldn't be taken seriously.
    The issue here is that I don't have an issue with being called a noob. Or astro noob.

It's a group of players themselves who have issues with it. And if they have an issue with it, we ought to protect their interest and not do it the way we please.

Where have the crucial value of empathy gone in this community?

Its like religion. If you aren't a believer, then making comments on another's religion can cause the other to take it to issue. Similarly, calling someone an astro noob can make the other take it to offense.

We need to learn how to respect their decisions. Those players don't want to be called that. Why can't we just accord them the most basic of this respect? Or why can't we do something about it to protect them?

It's their right and freedom to take to issue with the word "astro noob" and we shall not infringe on it by letting it continue.

You can argue that it's the players right to say whatever they want or for players to joke, but it is not ethical and it is introducing negativity into the community. As I said earlier, what you interpret as a joke may not be the same as those those who are being called. They have the right to take such banter as an insult because it was really uncalled for.

Why can't we be empathetic? Have you lost your moral compass?

A TAX DOES THE BEST ATTACKS ON UNFAIRNESS.

I'm a Cowboy Bay-Bee Sottocapo
    The issue here is that I don't have an issue with being called a noob. Or astro noob.

It's a group of players themselves who have issues with it. And if they have an issue with it, we ought to protect their interest and not do it the way we please.

Where have the crucial value of empathy gone in this community?

Its like religion. If you aren't a believer, then making comments on another's religion can cause the other to take it to issue. Similarly, calling someone an astro noob can make the other take it to offense.

We need to learn how to respect their decisions. Those players don't want to be called that. Why can't we just accord them the most basic of this respect? Or why can't we do something about it to protect them?

It's their right and freedom to take to issue with the word "astro noob" and we shall not infringe on it by letting it continue.

You can argue that it's the players right to say whatever they want or for players to joke, but it is not ethical and it is introducing negativity into the community. As I said earlier, what you interpret as a joke may not be the same as those those who are being called. They have the right to take such banter as an insult because it was really uncalled for.

Why can't we be empathetic? Have you lost your moral compass?

If someone gets insulted easily, they can shut off public chat.
    You just compared the group that gets offended to light terms to religion, do you find nothing wrong with that?
    Don't take it seriously, literally, if you tell an admin that someone called you an "Astro Noob", they would tell you to not take it the wrong way.
    Moral compass-that's funny, I don't know if you've noticed but we're playing on the Internet, the Golden Rule doesn't exist here bud.

You can't fix the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkEra View Post
    If someone gets insulted easily, they can shut off public chat.
    You just compared the group that gets offended to light terms to religion, do you find nothing wrong with that?
    Don't take it seriously, literally, if you tell an admin that someone called you an "Astro Noob", they would tell you to not take it the wrong way.
    Moral compass-that's funny, I don't know if you've noticed but we're playing on the Internet, the Golden Rule doesn't exist here bud.

You can't fix the Internet.
    I think you are just too disrespectful to some of the player's decisions to not have the word used on them.

It's shortsighted to allow such words to be used. You don't see the bigger picture. And I doubt I can make you see it.

Just look at how toxic the environment become because of small acts like calling someone a "noob" or "astro noob".

Noob has evolved to astro noon, what else can we expect in its next reincarnation?

And it's because of this that's making the environment toxic. You are indifferent to such things and you have obviously underestimated it's consequences.

And suppressing all these words by hiding away public chat is as good as self deception. Let's stop lying to ourselves about this culture of calling people things like that and actually start changing it, rather than go with the flow to the detriment of the community.

Maybe you won't mind being called a noob, but others do. It actually time we spare a thought for others.

Hi, this is Esca. Esca is Astro noob. Esca gets bullied everyday. Esca gets called Astro noob by everyone.

Esca is a positive player. Esca doesn't rage. Esca understands jokes. Esca isn't immature. Esca is 12. Esca continue playing.

. . . . . . And life goes on . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by imaginary View Post

Hi, this is Esca. Esca is Astro noob. Esca gets bullied everyday. Esca gets called Astro noob by everyone.

Esca is a positive player. Esca doesn't rage. Esca understands jokes. Esca isn't immature. Esca is 12. Esca continue playing.

. . . . . . And life goes on . . . . . .
    Well, Let's not be deluded by such manipulative tactics.
    Just because of one case doesn't mean it is representative of the community.

Only people who lack foresight will believe in this.