View Poll Results: How shall brackets be done? (details below)

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Completely randomized brackets

36 37.89%
  • Respective Placement brackets

19 20.00%
  • Continually Intensify (see pic)

40 42.11%
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: GST2017: Brackets, Info, etc.

GST2017: Brackets, Info, etc.

Hello, and congratulations all teams who made it!

First off, the GST date has changed.

It was originally scheduled for Satuday, July 15, 2017.
    This was never really a good date for me, because it is finals week, and my daughter's birthday. I've had a couple players also tell me that it was finals week for them as well.

For this reason, I have pushed it back 1 week.

GST 2017 will now take place on Satuday, July 22, 2017, at 6:00 PM GMT (Which is 2:00 PM EST)

Secondly, I have been getting a lot of people asking about brackets.
    I've heard a couple recommendations of how this should be done, so I'm going to let the community decide between the top recommended methods.

You'll notice that this is a vote thread. Let me explain the three* options:

1) Completely randomized brackets. If this method is voted, I will turn a livestream on, and go to a randomizing website (such as http://challonge.com/tournament/bracket_generator). There, I will enter the 16 gang names, and it will generate a completely randomized bracket.

or

2) Respective Placement brackets. The BaseBattle qualified gangs will go against the GangSpar qualified gangs of their respective placement. For example, Tetris placed #1 in BaseBattle, and Wario placed #1 in GangSpar, so they will face one-another in their first round. #2 will face #2, and so on. And the auto-qualified gangs will face one-another for their first round.

or

3) Continually intensify the rounds. We would separate the teams into 'seeds':

Seed 1: GST2016 Finalists
    Seed 2: Qualifiers #1 and #2 (GS and BB)
    Seed 3: Qualifiers #3 and #4 (GS and BB)
    Seed 4: Qualifiers #5 and #6 (GS and BB)

Then the matches would then operate at opposite ends of the spectrum.
    Essentially, the first round would be the highest possible seeds versus the lowest possible seeds.

This would reward those gangs who placed in first in qualifiers (as well as those Prior-Year finalists), by giving them an easier time advancing.

Also, it would ensure that the matches continue to intensify as the tournament progresses.
    If we were to do it the original way I proposed (Option #2), the first or second rounds could knock out the effective competition, and the rest of the tournament would be cake.

So here's what it would look like, assuming that the gang on the left always wins:

I'm leaving this up to forum vote, =D

Voting ends on June 10, 2017.

For gangs who have qualified:
    The Gang Leader is to touch base with me in whatever way is convenient for you; I'm flexible, and I've provided three modes of contact(below).

Upon our meeting, I will request a few things:
    1. A list of what 12 people are going to be your "core" GST team.
    2. 3 people that will serve as "temporary" (or backup) members of your GST team, in case some core members cannot make it to a round.
    3. A date when I can run you guys through the GST 2017 map, so that you and your members can get a feel of it. Each team will only be given one opportunity to run for 5 minutes on the map. You are free to record our 5-minute session, whatever you need to do to prepare yourselves.

Discord: Meph#4530
    Kik: Winqton
    In-game: *Meph (Ragga)

Anero has opted to drop out of GST hosting because of creative differences.
    With this, a lot of the rules that he had previously held onto have been thrown out.

I have eliminated any previous "GST blacklist" that may have existed. I've never agreed with this, and I think it's silly. I don't know how extensive the list was, but it is my opinion that, if somebody is unjailed, they have served their time and have the right to play in this event.

I look forward to hosting and commentating the event, and I will be selecting a couple people to assist me in the commentary and general policing of the event.

Also, I will be bringing back the "behind the scenes" moments, and keep the camera rolling as we set up between each round.
    People seemed to like this back in 2015, and were disappointed that these moments were replaced by a bracket+music last year.

I will pan to the bracket periodically, but you guys will be able to see what is going on, and hear our commentary as we go through.
    We may have breaks in between, but will play this by ear (depending on how long the matches last; I know your time is imporant to you.)

Any feedback or suggestions for GST2017 can be posted here, or you can contact me through one of the contact mediums above.

General rules for GST:
    1. Have fun. It's a pretty big event here, and a lot of gangs worked hard to get here. Enjoy it!
    2. Just like last year, Multiplex guns will be the only guns used during this competition.
    3. There will be a ping limit enforced. While I know that lag is not typically the fault of the user, it does have a negative impact on those you are playing against, and for this reason, if you exceed the ping limit, you will be kicked from the event. I'm not entirely sure what the amount will be, but it will be reasonable and fair. I will let you know when I know =D
    4. Each player can only play for 1 team at a time. When the leaders send me their lists, I will cross-reference them with other gangs' lists to make sure that every body is on one team.

Any feedback or suggestions for GST2017 can be posted here, or you can contact me through one of the contact mediums above.

Oh, and if you missed the final results, they are posted below. Note that the top 6 in each category proceed to GST 2017 =D.

Green: Qualified
    Blue: Already qualified by another method
    Orange: May be qualifying; see details below.

BaseBattle: Top 10
    #1 - Tetris: Score: 1652; [Wins: 620, Losses: 104]
    #2 - MK: Score: 917; [Wins: 425, Losses: 179]
    #3 - Flushy: Score: 524; [Wins: 240, Losses: 98]
    #4 - NPG: Score: 440; [Wins: 220, Losses: 110]

#5 - FactioneX: Score: 363; [Wins: 163, Losses: 63]
    #6 - Fin: Score: 340; [Wins: 222, Losses: 163]

#7 - Meg0rb: Score: 121; [Wins: 65, Losses: 37]*
    #8 - Wario: Score: 117; [Wins: 63, Losses: 36]
    #9 - Shrekt: Score: 107; [Wins: 51, Losses: 23]
    #10 - illustrious: Score: 105; [Wins: 53, Losses: 27]

GangSpar: Top 10
    #1 - Wario: Score: 2170; [Wins: 816, Losses: 139]
    #2 - illustrious: Score: 1724; [Wins: 756, Losses: 272]
    #3 - Messiah: Score: 583; [Wins: 495, Losses: 451]
    #4 - TryHarder: Score: 501; [Wins: 355, Losses: 282]
    #5 - Pixl: Score: 284; [Wins: 238, Losses: 215]

#6 - Chat S Get Banged: Score: 165; [Wins: 61, Losses: 9]
    #7 - MK: Score: 154; [Wins: 88, Losses: 55]

#8 - Bling: Score: 113; [Wins: 91, Losses: 80]
    #9 - Shrekt: Score: 109; [Wins: 59, Losses: 34]
    #10 - Pan: Score: 76; [Wins: 48, Losses: 34]

Free Pass (GST 2016 Finalists)
    #1 - Shrekt
    #2 - iFreeze
    #3 - Magus4Lyfe
    #4 - Kartel

Okay, so you'll notice that Meg0rb is currently classified as "may be qualifying".

Their qualification hangs in the balance of how FactioneX is to be determined.

Up until the GST announcement this morning, FactioneX has been touted as "Magus" -- they even have access to Magus hideout.
    This announcement this morning listed them as separate, and Magus was treated as a separate gang.

This confused me, as I'm sure it did some of you.
    So we're currently working on discussing whether or not FactioneX and Magus are considered as the same gang.

If FactioneX is considered Magus, then they qualify with a "Free Pass", and thus their standing in BaseBattle is skipped, and Meg0rb is the #6 qualifier.
    If FactioneX is not considered Magus, then they qualify as #5 in BaseBattle, making Fin #6, and Meg0rb is not in the top 6.

I will let you know when this is cleared up, and what the outcome is.
    I just didn't want to leave people in the dark =D.

Update: GST Team Flags.

I've had a couple questions about the flags for the GST teams this year.

If you want to do your own, you're more than welcome.
    Do keep in mind that this flag is a representation of your gang, and will be purchased and proudly demonstrated by your supporters.

With that, make sure it is something that you would be proud to display on behalf of your gang.

The rules for custom flag submissions are similar to the general upload rules for customs:
    1) No copyrighted material
    2) The viewer must be able to clearly identify your gang name by looking at the sign. This can include either your gang's name (for example, "Shrekt"), or your gang's initials (For example, last year Menace2Society had M 2 S).
    3) No profanity, drugs, animals, real-life pictures, or anything else that would traditionally be denied on a personal upload.

Submit your team's flag graphic to me directly, by June 20th (using one of the contact methods above), or let me know that you'd rather me get one generated for you.
    Any team flags not submitted by June 20th will automatically be generated by the staff team.

Here is the template for the flag. You are only to modify the flag itself (the white part):
    era_gstflag-template.png

Thank you =D
    Last edited by Meph; 06-04-2017 at 06:14 PM.
    Tune in for live streaming action from gang bases, events, and other iEra activities, with commentary!

Seems fair enough. Only thing I dislike is the "1st place GS plays 1st place BB and so on" I feel that higher placed gangs should play lower placed gangs.

For example this should be the placing.
    1st Place GS vs 4th Place BB
    2nd Place GS vs 3rd Place BB
    3rd Place GS vs 2nd Place BB
    4th Place GS vs 1st Place BB
    5th Place GS vs 6th Place BB
    6th Place GS vs 5th Place BB

This makes it so the first placed teams have more of an advantage, but the other teams still have a somewhat fair chance

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post

This was never really a good date for me, because it is finals week, and my daughter's birthday. I've had a couple players also tell me that it was finals week for them as well.

GST 2017 will now take place on Satuday, July 22, 2017, at 6:00 PM GMT (Which is 2:00 PM EST)

I've heard a couple recommendations of how this should be done, so I'm going to let the community decide between the top recommended methods.

You'll notice that this is a vote thread. Let me explain the two options:

1) Completely randomized brackets. If this method is voted, I will turn a livestream on, and go to a randomizing website (such as http://challonge.com/tournament/bracket_generator). There, I will enter the 16 gang names, and it will generate a completely randomized bracket.

or

2) Respective Placement brackets. The BaseBattle qualified gangs will go against the GangSpar qualified gangs of their respective placement. For example, Tetris placed #1 in BaseBattle, and Wario placed #1 in GangSpar, so they will face one-another in their first round. #2 will face #2, and so on. And the auto-qualified gangs will face one-another for their first round.

I'm leaving this up to forum vote; either way it seems fair to me =D.

The Gang Leader is to touch base with me in whatever way is convenient for you; I'm flexible, and I've provided three modes of contact(below).

2. 3 people that will serve as "temporary" (or backup) members of your GST team, in case some core members cannot make it to a round.
    3. A date when I can run you guys through the GST 2017 map, so that you and your members can get a feel of it. Each team will only be given one opportunity to run for 5 minutes on the map. You are free to record our 5-minute session, whatever you need to do to prepare yourselves.

With this, a lot of the rules that he had previously held onto have been thrown out.

I have eliminated any previous "GST blacklist" that may have existed. I've never agreed with this, and I think it's silly. I don't know how extensive the list was, but it is my opinion that, if somebody is unjailed, they have served their time and have the right to play in this event.

I look forward to hosting and commentating the event, and I will be selecting a couple people to assist me in the commentary and general policing of the event.

Also, I will be bringing back the "behind the scenes" moments, and keep the camera rolling as we set up between each round.
    People seemed to like this back in 2015, and were disappointed that these moments were replaced by a bracket+music last year.

I will pan to the bracket periodically, but you guys will be able to see what is going on, and hear our commentary as we go through.
    We may have breaks in between, but will play this by ear (depending on how long the matches last; I know your time is imporant to you.)

General rules for GST:
    1. Have fun. It's a pretty big event here, and a lot of gangs worked hard to get here. Enjoy it!
    2. Just like last year, Multiplex guns will be the only guns used during this competition.
    3. There will be a ping limit enforced. While I know that lag is not typically the fault of the user, it does have a negative impact on those you are playing against, and for this reason, if you exceed the ping limit, you will be kicked from the event. I'm not entirely sure what the amount will be, but it will be reasonable and fair. I will let you know when I know =D
    4. Each player can only play for 1 team at a time. When the leaders send me their lists, I will cross-reference them with other gangs' lists to make sure that every body is on one team.

Oh, and if you missed the final results, they are posted below. Note that the top 6 in each category proceed to GST 2017 =D.

#1 - Shrekt
    #2 - iFreeze
    #3 - Magus4Lyfe
    #4 - Kartel

Okay, so you'll notice that Meg0rb is currently classified as "may be qualifying".

Up until the GST announcement this morning, FactioneX has been touted as "Magus" -- they even have access to Magus hideout.
    This announcement this morning listed them as separate, and Magus was treated as a separate gang.

So we're currently working on discussing whether or not FactioneX and Magus are considered as the same gang.

If FactioneX is considered Magus, then they qualify with a "Free Pass", and thus their standing in BaseBattle is skipped, and Meg0rb is the #6 qualifier.
    If FactioneX is not considered Magus, then they qualify as #5 in BaseBattle, making Fin #6, and Meg0rb is not in the top 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post

You'll notice that this is a vote thread. Let me explain the two options:

or

I'm leaving this up to forum vote; either way it seems fair to me =D.

General rules for GST:

#1 - Shrekt
    #2 - iFreeze
    #3 - Magus4Lyfe
    #4 - Kartel

I vote for brackets to be chosen in Respective Placement Brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xur what do u have against Tryharder and NPG! Tryharder versus Tetris, Wario vs NPG are you kidding me?!1 I vote the 2nd option.

Meph how old are u

"What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
    Build anyway",-iTox

Quote Originally Posted by xur View Post
    seems fair enough. Only thing i dislike is the "1st place gs plays 1st place bb and so on" i feel that higher placed gangs should play lower placed gangs.

1st place gs vs 4th place bb
    2nd place gs vs 3rd place bb
    3rd place gs vs 2nd place bb
    4th place gs vs 1st place bb
    5th place gs vs 6th place bb
    6th place gs vs 5th place bb

this makes it so the first placed teams have more of an advantage, but the other teams still have a somewhat fair chance
    this!
    Retired Ol West Gfx Team

Have Any Graal Related Questions? Ask me
    2010-2021

Simple
    1st Place Base Battle vs 1st Place Gs
    2nd Place Base Battle vs 2nd Place GS

To be fair auto qualifiers go against each other.

GST2017: Brackets, Info, etc.

After i shuffled
    Tetris I wrote it wrong my bad will fix it soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Beo; 06-04-2017 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xur View Post
    Seems fair enough. Only thing I dislike is the "1st place GS plays 1st place BB and so on" I feel that higher placed gangs should play lower placed gangs.

1st Place GS vs 4th Place BB
    2nd Place GS vs 3rd Place BB
    3rd Place GS vs 2nd Place BB
    4th Place GS vs 1st Place BB
    5th Place GS vs 6th Place BB
    6th Place GS vs 5th Place BB

This makes it so the first placed teams have more of an advantage, but the other teams still have a somewhat fair chance
    Yeah, I'm trying not to give anybody an advantage though.
    The assumption is that, the gangs who placed in 6th are more equally matched to the other gangs who placed 6th; 5th with 5th, and so on.

Then it would provide the teams time to get acclimated to the feel of the map with somebody that is more at their level =D
    Tune in for live streaming action from gang bases, events, and other iEra activities, with commentary!