Thread: Can't decide which gun is best?

Can't decide which gun is best?

I have developed two formulas that calculate's a gun's worth based on multiple factors. But before I get into the formulas, I would like to explain what makes a gun good.

IMPORTANT: Part of what makes a gun good is the player who is using it. Someone with a Starter Pistol could beat someone with a BAR in a sparring match (although highly unlikely). So while these formulas might tell you which gun is better than another, you have to realize that a large factor is a player's skill, which is not part of these formulas.

What makes a gun good?

LOW cost
    HIGH damage
    LOW freeze
    HIGH fire rate
    LOW or HIGH spread
    LOW reload freeze
    HIGH clip size

Obviously, there isn't a gun that has the best statistics in every category. If there were such a gun, everyone would use it and it would essentially render every other gun useless in the game.

What is the most important stat of a gun?

Well, it depends. If you are sparring, you would probably look for low freeze. If you are pking, you would probably look for high damage per second.

Formulas

Now, let's get into the formulas. Below is a guide of which formula you should use as well as what goes into the formula. Each formula yields a number. The higher the number, the better the gun. This way, you can compare two guns by comparing their numerical rating.

50 represents the player's health.
    R represents the Rating

IMPORTANT: Click on the images to see them in full size

Formula #1:
    (use this formula if the number of hits it takes to kill a player is less than or equal to the gun's clip size. For example, M4, BAR, Metalstorm)

CodeCogsEqn (1).png

Formula #2:
    (use this formula if the number of hits it takes to kill a player is greater than the gun's clip size. For example, Neo Rifle, Starter Pistol)

CodeCogsEqn (3).png

Examples / Evidence

Here is some evidence that my formula actually works and isn't just some arbitrary way of labeling guns:

Take the BAR and the Metalstorm for example. Both guns are great for sparring (at least in my opinion) and have good statistics. Below is an example of how the guns are comparable:

Note: We will be using formula 1 because both the BAR and the Metalstorm deal enough damage to kill a player with 50 health without using all bullets in their clips.

Formula #1:
    R1 = 1 / [((50 / Damage)(Rounded up))2 * FireRate * Freeze]

RBAR = 1 / [((50 / 9)(Rounded up))2 * 0.24 * 0.2] = 1 / (62 * 0.24 * 0.2) = 0.579

RMetalstorm = 1 / [((50 / 8)(Rounded up))2 * 0.235 * 0.16] = 1 / (72 * 0.235 * 0.16) = 0.543

As you can see, the BAR and the Metalstorm have relatively close ratings, which isn't surprising because they both have very good statistics. And they are both great sparring guns (in my opinion). But, the BAR does have a slightly higher rating, so therefore according to the formula it is better overall.

NOTE: I am still working on these formulas so they can include ALL statistics of a gun. Also let me know if I made any mistakes or if you have any suggestions/improvements. Also, feel free to post examples of guns being compared in this threads so that others can see which gun is better than the other (this may also help identify any flaws in the formulas).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well may be I'll reply to this thread. GOODJOB HAHA
    have a wonderful day!

Quote Originally Posted by HarlemPabaya View Post
    Well may be I'll reply to this thread. GOODJOB HAHA
    Haha thanks. Hopefully this thread is helpful for at least someone who is looking to find a good gun.

Banned Capo
    Wow, this thread made my head hurt cuz there's too much smart stuff in it :/ (I have an intellectual disability)

It's nice seeing someone take time to make a thread to help the community though, so good job

Quote Originally Posted by z7654321 View Post
    Wow, this thread made my head hurt cuz there's too much smart stuff in it :/ (I have an intellectual disability)

It's nice seeing someone take time to make a thread to help the community though, so good job
    Sorry if this thread was too complicated. I tried to keep the formulas as simple (and effective) as possible
    without using really high-level math, which wouldn't necessarily be needed. But anyway, thanks! It means
    a lot to have positive feedback on this thread, as it did take a long time to plan and make.

I'm actually surprised by the positive feedback so far, I was almost sure I would get negative feedback from
    someone, but so far I haven't which is good. I just hope more people take the time to read this thread fully
    so that they can post their feedback since I want to get as much feedback as possible (whether it's positive
    or negative).

Also, for anyone wondering, formula 2 does work for all guns, but formula 1 does not. This is because formula 1 is a simplified version of formula 2 created to make certain calculations easier.
    Last edited by Datura; 08-01-2017 at 02:42 AM. Reason: additional information

It's nice you thought about this but it isn't very accurate as freeze, firerate and damage are only 3 of 10 variables a gun has which can change the outcome of its performance such as spread, how many bullets it fires at once, the freeze on the reload etc.

If you applied your formula to a gun like the shipka that has a high freeze and relatively higher firerate it would get a bad rating compared to other guns around its price as it doesn't factor that it fires two bullets at once.

Also for your example you used the old stats of the bar, if you used its current updated stats I don't believe your result would still yield a 'higher rating' with the bar compared to the metalstorm/gm4 despite it being better.
    If using the updated stats of the bar, using your forumla the bar would only get a 0.462 rating which puts it significantly below the metalstorm.

It isn't really possible to create a single numeric result that determines a guns hierarchical position which is why when comparing guns you need to compare the individual variables between the two guns
    Last edited by BiTzSam; 08-02-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BiTzSam View Post
    It's nice you thought about this but it isn't very accurate as freeze, firerate and damage are only 3 of 10 variables a gun has which can change the outcome of its performance such as spread, how many bullets it fires at once, the freeze on the reload etc.

If you applied your formula to a gun like the shipka that has a high freeze and relatively higher firerate it would get a bad rating compared to other guns around its price as it doesn't factor that it fires two bullets at once.

Also for your example you used the old stats of the bar, if you used its current updated stats I don't believe your result would still yield a 'higher rating' with the bar compared to the metalstorm/gm4 despite it being better.
    If using the updated stats of the bar, using your forumla the bar would only get a 0.462 rating which puts it significantly below the metalstorm.

It isn't really possible to create a single numeric result that determines a guns hierarchical position which is why when comparing guns you need to compare the individual variables between the two guns
    I do think comparing individual variables between two guns would be more beneficial than using this formula at this time, but I have to disagree with you on the idea that it isn't possible to create a numerical result that determines a gun's hierarchical position.

Somehow, some way, I do believe that there could be a formula that takes in all variables of a gun and combines them to yield a number similar to my formula. However, I have no idea how exactly this formula would be created. Chances are there would be many constants in the formula that would be related to code in the game, but Im not sure.

As for now, my formula is somewhat accurate because high tier guns such as the BAR and the M4 rank higher than guns such as Starter Pistols, which makes sense, since the BAR and M4 have pretty much all better statistics.

Anyway, my goal is to keep working on the formula to incorporate all variables of a gun, even the price, so that people can see which guns are worth purchasing. If you would like an explanation of how the formula works so far I could provide one.

Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    I do think comparing individual variables between two guns would be more beneficial than using this formula at this time, but I have to disagree with you on the idea that it isn't possible to create a numerical result that determines a gun's hierarchical position.

Somehow, some way, I do believe that there could be a formula that takes in all variables of a gun and combines them to yield a number similar to my formula. However, I have no idea how exactly this formula would be created. Chances are there would be many constants in the formula that would be related to code in the game, but Im not sure.

As for now, my formula is somewhat accurate because high tier guns such as the BAR and the M4 rank higher than guns such as Starter Pistols, which makes sense, since the BAR and M4 have pretty much all better statistics.

Anyway, my goal is to keep working on the formula to incorporate all variables of a gun, even the price, so that people can see which guns are worth purchasing. If you would like an explanation of how the formula works so far I could provide one.
    That isn't really based on your formula though, bar/ m4s results are 'better' than the starterpistols just because of the damage variable difference.

Just to prove my point further, using your calculations the starting ak47 worth only $1200 scores a 0.556 based on your formula. If someone was to use your formula to rate it then they would find its result to be better than the metalstorm, m4 and bar.
    Obviously the ak47 is not better than those guns which is why i'm saying a formula/ any other kind will not be able to accurately give value to a guns strength.
    Eg you have a gun with very low freeze but a high firerate, and a gun with a very high freeze but slow firerate. A formula would say that those guns are equal to each other based on an average when they serve different purposes and that's just 2 variables. Now try and do the same with 8 others, and that's excluding whether the guns have multiple modes/ attachments

Wow, too many words to read. But I'll try tho
    have a wonderful day!