Thread: The Horror Genre, we need to talk about this. Videogames, TV Shows, Movies.

The Horror Genre, we need to talk about this. Videogames, TV Shows, Movies.

As a horror lover, I think that the genre is coming to an end.

At least as how we know it.

Horror is not what it used to be, it used to be a genre based on fear rather than one based on jump scares. Horror has literally become something without a passion and it is reflected on newer movies, specially the ones where people try to milk money out of them by releasing stupid sequels or prequels of movies who had a great following (Insidious, Annabelle, Paranormal Activity). These were all movies that were great when they came out, they offered something new. We are getting non-horror enthusiasts to direct this movies, they have no freaking clue on how beautiful and complex the horror genre is.

It is just a shame that the best movies I can think of that had somewhat good horror were It and Crimson Peak (Who btw was not even a horror film, it is a Goth Romance) and The Boy. There are probably more good ones that I probably have not seen, and would love too, so you can comment those below.

I mean, have you not noticed that almost all horror movies are literally the same? If any these should all have the same name and the genre should be renamed "Jump-Scare with little bits of blood" because that's what they literally are.

And this is the same with Videogaming as well as TV Shows, they all kind of relay on that Jump Scare factor.

Specially for indie-videogaming, yes I am talking about games like Outlast and ****ing FNAF. Outlast is fine I guess but FNAF should NOT be called a horror game, it is a suspense game, leave it at that. The only thing you're scared off is getting a jump scare, that's literally it. A good horror game makes you feel fear out of anything, story, gameplay, environment, music.

A good example of this is the not so popular series of Fatal Frame aka Project Zero. This games are the best horror I have ever played, I remember the first walkthrough (the third one specially) I could not play it more than an hour because I would be legitimately scared. I felt dread on every second. This was also the same for Resident Evil: Code Veronica, which is my favorite on the series.

I miss stuff like that, where it actually makes you feel fear.

I may leave it here because, I may go on forever...

What do you think? Do you think that the genre will at some point stop being horror? Do you know any good series, games, films that meet your criteria?

I'm not a fan of horror games, I've never been, but I do agree that most horror movies these days rely on jump scares rather than actual horror, last time I watched a good horror movie was around 5 years ago, I got sleep paralysis and started imagining the worst, that's how the movie affected me, after that I've watched and played a couple of horror games like Until Dawn and FNAF, these mostly rely on jump scares which didn't scare me much, just for 1 second and that's it
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA