Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: English Lesson

ESSKEETIT Sottocapo JungleJimmy's Avatar

English Lesson

So this is off-topic so I'm going to post this because I really get triggered by the fact that people don't understand the concept of your and you're. And I'm thinking that people will purposely type a sentence wrong to trigger me, but for the sake of grammar, just pay attention. This can really help for people that don't understand the concept of your and you're.

Your
    Definition: Goes before another word. Most of the time it will be a noun or pronoun. It shows something that you have. Or something that belongs to you.

Example: "What is your name?"

You're

Definition: A contraction of you are.

Example: "You're going to the mall?"

How To Use Them

This is simple. For example, if you say, "What is you're name?" It would be "What is you are name?" Which doesn't make sense.
    And if you said "Your going to the mall?" It's saying that going to the mall belongs to you. Which again doesn't make sense. The biggest problem I see, though, is that people say your a lot. Your is used more than I see you're. So it's something that people should keep in mind of because this is something that we learned when we were mid elementary school. So please keep in mind of this. People might think, "Oh be quiet we already know all this." But actually, I've seen adults that don't really understand this. And I see it A LOT in Era. I hope some of you got help from this if you have been making this mistake.

There, Their, and They're

Same concept.

Their

Similar to your. Something that belongs to more than one person.
    So "Their house is nice.."

They're

A contraction of They are. Same concept as You're So for example "They're going to the mall?"

There
    Used for a location. So you wouldn't say "There house is nice." It would be something like "That house over there is nice."

It's really simple, honestly. Most of us should already understand this... But otherwise, fix your grammar, please!
    Last edited by JungleJimmy; 09-26-2017 at 07:19 PM.
    Youtube Channel: Jimmy Graal (RIP)

If you know me,
    And I don't know you,
    Then I guess I'm famous enough!

Lol finally! I see someone who cares about grammar. There are some dumbs that doesn't know these meanings ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Wast View Post
    Lol finally! I see someone who cares about grammar. There are some dumbs that doesn't know these meanings ._.
    They're not really "dumbs". Some people just don't get it lol.

If you know me,
    And I don't know you,

Nice
    Now teach us how to pronounce words properly

Wait...

"Example: 'You're going to the mall?'"

Isn't that still wrong grammar? lol because it is more like a slang use than formal use, or at least it would be affirming something rather than ask something. "Are you going to the mall?" would be the correct way to ask it.

But heck, I have only been speaking English for 7 years. Maybe I am wrong.
    Last edited by Rima Wasabi; 09-26-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NaniRima View Post
    Wait...

"Example: 'You're going to the mall?'"

Isn't that still wrong grammar? lol because it is more like a slang use than formal use, or at least it would be affirming something rather than ask something. "Are you going to the mall?" would be the correct way to ask it.

But heck, I have only been speaking English for 7 years. Maybe I am wrong.
    Partially correct. You are right."Are you going to the mall?" has no issues grammatically speaking. But really, there's nothing wrong with either. Like I said you're is you are. So switching you are with are you doesn't make "you're" wrong. Because if you were to say "You're going to the mall?", it's more like a reaction. So let's say a friend says out of the blue, "Hey, I'm going to the mall."
    Then someone would probably say "Wait, you're going to the mall?" I added wait because that's common. But it still contains you're, and still makes sense. You said "Are you going to the mall?" That's different. You see if someone said "Hey, I'm going to the mall.", it wouldn't make sense to say "Are you going to the mall?" Because you wouldn't ask that since you already know that your friend is going to the mall. You see what I mean? Basically what I'm saying is that "Are you going to the mall?" Is correct, and there's no grammatical issues there. BUT it has a different meaning.
    So here's one more example for "Are you".
    You don't know where your brother is when you are supposed to pick him up. You text him and you say "Are you here? I'm waiting outside." Because saying "You're/you are here?" doesn't really sound right. Then the brother could say "I'm already at home." Your response would be the reaction. "You're already at home?" Get it? You said "Are you here?" Because you don't know if your brother is there. And your response to him saying he's home wouldn't be "Are you already home?". It would be "You're already home?" Because again, you would already know that he is home, so there's no point in asking if he is home. Then you will go back and beat him up for wasting your time. Jk. I hope this made sense.

If you know me,
    And I don't know you,

Not Actually Banned Yet Bulletzone's Avatar
    You made a very nice thread. Will their be more or not?
    I hope you're thread gets noticed by everyone.

"A fool thinks they know everything but a wise person knows there's something to learn from everyone"
    -
    "Great leaders don't complain about the tools they are given. They work to sharpen them"

Yes this thread is very useful...their should be lots of people who find this helpful like I do (:

lmao..
    ~blub~

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJimmy View Post
    Partially correct. You are right."Are you going to the mall?" has no issues grammatically speaking. But really, there's nothing wrong with either. Like I said you're is you are. So switching you are with are you doesn't make "you're" wrong. Because if you were to say "You're going to the mall?", it's more like a reaction. So let's say a friend says out of the blue, "Hey, I'm going to the mall."
    Then someone would probably say "Wait, you're going to the mall?" I added wait because that's common. But it still contains you're, and still makes sense. You said "Are you going to the mall?" That's different. You see if someone said "Hey, I'm going to the mall.", it wouldn't make sense to say "Are you going to the mall?" Because you wouldn't ask that since you already know that your friend is going to the mall. You see what I mean? Basically what I'm saying is that "Are you going to the mall?" Is correct, and there's no grammatical issues there. BUT it has a different meaning.
    So here's one more example for "Are you".
    You don't know where your brother is when you are supposed to pick him up. You text him and you say "Are you here? I'm waiting outside." Because saying "You're/you are here?" doesn't really sound right. Then the brother could say "I'm already at home." Your response would be the reaction. "You're already at home?" Get it? You said "Are you here?" Because you don't know if your brother is there. And your response to him saying he's home wouldn't be "Are you already home?". It would be "You're already home?" Because again, you would already know that he is home, so there's no point in asking if he is home. Then you will go back and beat him up for wasting your time. Jk. I hope this made sense.
    Yea write “you’re going to the mall?” in ur English test and get 0

Quote Originally Posted by imaginary View Post
    Yea write “you’re going to the mall?” in ur English test and get 0
    True. But this is 1st grade English that even high school students find difficult to understand. And I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a question on a high school English test.

If you know me,
    And I don't know you,