Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: English Lesson

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJimmy View Post
    True. But this is 1st grade English that even high school students find difficult to understand. And I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a question on a high school English test.
    Naaaaaaaaa here we have “what would u say in the following situations” question and there could be a similar answer

True. But this is 1st grade English that even high school students find difficult to understand. And I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a question on a high school English test.
    You maybe wouldn't be able to put on essays lol unless we are talking about quoting dialog from someone else.

Banned
    Partially correct. You are right."Are you going to the mall?" has no issues grammatically speaking. But really, there's nothing wrong with either. Like I said you're is you are. So switching you are with are you doesn't make "you're" wrong. Because if you were to say "You're going to the mall?", it's more like a reaction. So let's say a friend says out of the blue, "Hey, I'm going to the mall."
    Then someone would probably say "Wait, you're going to the mall?" I added wait because that's common. But it still contains you're, and still makes sense. You said "Are you going to the mall?" That's different. You see if someone said "Hey, I'm going to the mall.", it wouldn't make sense to say "Are you going to the mall?" Because you wouldn't ask that since you already know that your friend is going to the mall. You see what I mean? Basically what I'm saying is that "Are you going to the mall?" Is correct, and there's no grammatical issues there. BUT it has a different meaning.
    So here's one more example for "Are you".
    You don't know where your brother is when you are supposed to pick him up. You text him and you say "Are you here? I'm waiting outside." Because saying "You're/you are here?" doesn't really sound right. Then the brother could say "I'm already at home." Your response would be the reaction. "You're already at home?" Get it? You said "Are you here?" Because you don't know if your brother is there. And your response to him saying he's home wouldn't be "Are you already home?". It would be "You're already home?" Because again, you would already know that he is home, so there's no point in asking if he is home. Then you will go back and beat him up for wasting your time. Jk. I hope this made sense.
    You, my friend, have a lot of time.

What a paragraph!

ESSKEETIT Sottocapo JungleJimmy's Avatar
    Lesson 2:

To vs. Too

I also see this mistake a lot. Here's how it works.

To

Example: "Are we going to eat lunch?"
    The word to is usually used to indicate a goal or an objective.
    There's many ways you can use it.
    "Is he going to the mall?"
    "Can we go to the mall?"
    etc.

Too

Too is another way to say "also", "very", "as well", etc.
    Example: "That costs too much"
    Saying "That costs very much" isn't grammatically incorrect, but it isn't common for people to say that.
    Example 2: "Me too."
    A simple phrase but helpful.
    Because if you say "Me to", it's not a complete sentence. It wouldn't make sense. "Me to" would be in a sentence like, "Do you want me to buy some groceries?" Very simple.

I see people using "to" a lot, when it should be "too".
    So here's just one more example that shows the incorrect and correct way.

Incorrect: "Let's go too the mall." Can translate to "Let's go (very/also/as well) the mall." Sounds right? Nope.
    Correct: "Let's go to the mall." To is correct because it is stating a goal, which is to go to the mall.

This seems childish again. But, there are more people that use these words incorrectly than you think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anero View Post
    You, my friend, have a lot of time.

What a paragraph!
    Thanks. Every time I see a grammar error, I just have that urge to correct it. So I just decided to do that by making this thread!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by imaginary View Post
    Naaaaaaaaa here we have “what would u say in the following situations” question and there could be a similar answer
    Lol. I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a question asking what you would do if your friend told you he/she is going to the mall in high school.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just going to say one more thing that doesn't need an explanation.
    You might use this word "alot". But I hate to break it to you. Alot is not a word. It's "a lot" not "alot". No explanation needed.
    Youtube Channel: Jimmy Graal (RIP)

If you know me,
    And I don't know you,
    Then I guess I'm famous enough!

Shut up Jim lemeteed charakter

Quote Originally Posted by Wast View Post
    Lol finally! I see someone who cares about grammar. There are some dumbs that doesn't know these meanings ._.
    This is a joke right?

Ex Player Relations, Ex Newspaper Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ItzTerry!
    In Terry we Trust

Lesson 2:

To vs. Too

I also see this mistake a lot. Here's how it works.

To

Example: "Are we going to eat lunch?"
    The word to is usually used to indicate a goal or an objective.
    There's many ways you can use it.
    "Is he going to the mall?"
    "Can we go to the mall?"
    etc.

Too

Too is another way to say "also", "very", "as well", etc.
    Example: "That costs too much"
    Saying "That costs very much" isn't grammatically incorrect, but it isn't common for people to say that.
    Example 2: "Me too."
    A simple phrase but helpful.
    Because if you say "Me to", it's not a complete sentence. It wouldn't make sense. "Me to" would be in a sentence like, "Do you want me to buy some groceries?" Very simple.

I see people using "to" a lot, when it should be "too".
    So here's just one more example that shows the incorrect and correct way.

Incorrect: "Let's go too the mall." Can translate to "Let's go (very/also/as well) the mall." Sounds right? Nope.
    Correct: "Let's go to the mall." To is correct because it is stating a goal, which is to go to the mall.

This seems childish again. But, there are more people that use these words incorrectly than you think.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Every time I see a grammar error, I just have that urge to correct it. So I just decided to do that by making this thread!

- - - Updated - - -

Lol. I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a question asking what you would do if your friend told you he/she is going to the mall in high school.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just going to say one more thing that doesn't need an explanation.
    You might use this word "alot". But I hate to break it to you. Alot is not a word. It's "a lot" not "alot". No explanation needed.
    I have literally stopped caring at this point.Cut your losses and let us be "uneducated"

ESSKEETIT Sottocapo JungleJimmy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonForEc View Post
    I have literally stopped caring at this point.Cut your losses and let us be "uneducated"
    English one of the few subjects that I find to be engaging. It's just something that oddly seems distinctive to me. I think you might just be the epitome of someone that is so perfunctory when it comes to this kind of stuff. But since you have to be so harsh about it, I'll stop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItzTerry! View Post
    This is a joke right?
    This is a joke, right?
    --------------^
    Sorry. I just had to do it.
    Youtube Channel: Jimmy Graal (RIP)

If you know me,
    And I don't know you,
    Then I guess I'm famous enough!

Thanks Jimmy! Because of your lesson, I passed English class, got a few girlfriends, lost 75 pounds, and won the lottery! This program really works! I noticed a change within ONE week of trying out Jimmy's advice!

~Not a Paid Reviewer
    guess who's been unlinked

Big Cheese Sottocapo
    You're good with grammar