Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Option to Turn Off the Swear Filter

Option to Turn Off the Swear Filter

Basically, the idea is to add an option that let's you turn on and off the swear filter.

Please note that this is an option, so it is a choice for the player to turn the filter on and off.

Why should we add this?

Well first of all it's annoying to get jailed for cussing. Cussing shouldn't be considered a "crime". Everyone should have freedom of speech on this game. I've been playing this game since 2011, so I'm obviously not a kid anymore, I'm grown and wish to say what I want and still enjoy the game.

Second of all, the swear filter is flawed, there's so many normal words you can't say because the end and beginning of words spell out a cuss word. How many times have you seen this message or the "Do not try to evade to swear filter" one

Screenshot_2017-10-18-14-32-01-1.jpg

Graal Ol' West has the option to turn it off and that server works fine, so I think iEra should have it also.

"What about the kids?". If a kid turns the swear filter off well that's not our fault. That's the parents' responsibility to monitor what their kids are doing.

This option has also existed on the PC era server for years, but it's different from the Ol West one. On PC era you pick the severity of the swear filter depending on the player's age. The younger, the more curse words are censored.

I'm sure over 75% of jailings are because of swearing, so if some of those jailed players are kids, well obviously Graal didn't teach them those words. Admins could really focus on other more important problems than somebody using the f bomb that has no bad intentions.
    Screenshot_2017-10-18-14-38-27-1.jpg

Harassment/Hacking/Innapropriate gang pictures/staff impersonation/boosting should be the main focus.

I would of thought that after all these years, admins would of realized that people will always find a way to evade the swear filter no matter how many things they add to the swear filter. It's to a point where they are adding combination of letters that sound like swear words but aren't.

Please draw the line between cursing and harassment. These are two completely different things and are easy to differentiate.

By not having this option, Graal basically assumes that all of its players are kids, which is not true. A lot of younger players grew up with this game and are now older.

This wouldn't change the apple store rating, "online interactions" can not be rated.
    Screenshot_2017-10-18-13-18-08-1.jpg

ANSWERS TO COMPLAINTS

There have been many complaints throughout the thread, so I'll answer how to fix them all. I thought the answer to all of these would be pretty obvious, but it doesn't seem to be the case. So I'll go over them 1 by 1.

You have a mental disorder triggered by cuss words? Keep the swear filter on.

You get hurt by words easily or you are easily offended and don't want to see cuss words? Keep the swear filter on.

You have a PTSD triggered by cuss words? Keep the swear filter on

Somebody is saying things that offend you but doesn't contain cuss words? Block the player

A player is harassing you? Block the player and report him for harassment

You get easily offended by almost anything, even if it doesn't contain cuss words? Go to Options->Privacy Options->In-Game Chat Visibility and check "None" and then scroll up and check "Ignore All Private Messages (PMs)"
    Last edited by BEENDEAD; 10-19-2017 at 05:16 AM.

He has a really good point about the swear filter being flawed. + you can already say stuff like "sht" so I don't see why not just go ahead and let us have freedom of speech. Agree with this idea 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya but Ol' West admins are often jerks. Ol' West doesn't investigate reports, they jail based of how many people report you. I would never want Era learning anything from a ridiculous server like Ol' West. I'd rather see the filter get repaired, like an admin who has the job of fixing it. Also, these words are contagious and look bad on your reputation. They are cuss words for being taboo. The psychology isn't all that healthy. Other people use the N word and it makes me almost feel like saying it. Not to say I don't see where your coming from, but that's a thought I'd honestly have to disagree with.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

ESSKEETIT Sottocapo JungleJimmy's Avatar
    I find it more annoying that when you type an extremely long sentence over and over, it's filtered. So that's why I think this is a good idea. Plus, 90% of the Era community curses anyways...
    Youtube Channel: Jimmy Graal (RIP)

If you know me,
    And I don't know you,
    Then I guess I'm famous enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenshadow View Post
    He has a really good point about the swear filter being flawed. + you can already say stuff like "sht" so I don't see why not just go ahead and let us have freedom of speech. Agree with this idea 100%

What if I started cussing you out? Wouldn't it feel worse than being called a "noob" or "ez". It might not affect or matter for you, but there are a lot of people that would hurt worse who maybe believe in cussing but not being cussed out.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJimmy View Post
    I find it more annoying that when you type an extremely long sentence over and over, it's filtered. So that's why I think this is a good idea. Plus, 90% of the Era community curses anyways...
    Would it matter if the filter got fixed as an alternative? I think it would have a negative effect to enable cussing. Do you ever hear "f*** ya, I f***ing love you!!" No, you hear, "F*** you you f***ing n*****. Go s*ck a fat c***." Also, I think it will give bad people a higher chance of becoming an admin.

I agree on this we have our rights

Sent from my LGLS885 using Tapatalk
    Ninja[Thatboy]Zayzay_G6 Add me on era

Quote Originally Posted by PTNTLcloud View Post
    Would it matter if the filter got fixed as an alternative? I think it would have a negative effect to enable cussing. Do you ever hear "f*** ya, I f***ing love you!!" No, you hear, "F*** you you f***ing n*****. Go s*ck a fat c***." Also, I think it will give bad people a higher chance of becoming an admin.

Not rlly it has an on and off option so it wouldnt show when option off

Ninja[Thatboy]Zayzay_G6 Add me on era

Quote Originally Posted by Zayzay View Post
    Not rlly it has an on and off option so it wouldnt show when option off

I think so, I'd enable to get rid the filter flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by PTNTLcloud View Post
    What if I started cussing you out? Wouldn't it feel worse than being called a "noob" or "ez". It might not affect or matter for you, but there are a lot of people that would hurt worse who maybe believe in cussing but not being cussed out.

Well that's why the no filter would be an option. So for younger players, and for those who don't like swearing they can turn on the swear filter and not see the swear words.