Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Option to Turn Off the Swear Filter

Support, 100% - Graal needs to know we are not kids anymore.
    Last edited by Clooft; 10-12-2017 at 05:05 PM. Reason: derp spelling
    Add me on Era - Clooft

I rather the chat like ol west tho

Sent from my LGLS885 using Tapatalk
    Ninja[Thatboy]Zayzay_G6 Add me on era

Zany
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazz View Post
    I agree with this idea 100%!! If you have the filter off you can swear and see others swearing, but if the filters on, you can't do either. Therefore if you have a problem with "getting your feelings hurt" just turn the filter on. I really see nothing wrong with this idea.
    It'll pose a problem for staff. No matter if you have the filter off or not, if you're cursing someone out or using vulgarity in a harassing way, you're getting jailed for vulgarity, whether you like it or not, because you're using vulgar words to demean and abuse another player. But the problem it would cause is players to back lash, likely saying, "I got jailed for vulgarity, but my filter was off! This game is so rigged!" So there's that. Just because the filter is off for you and others does NOT give you permission to curse another person out with an obvious intent of hurting said person.

Because guess what, whether the people in this game are still kids or not, it's still never justified to harass another person vulgarly. One person said that the players are not kids anymore, but wouldn't that mean you were more mature? Not to say this is a bad idea. But that statement isn't really true. There ARE still players that're kids, and the kicker is, THEY normally should be the ones that are cursing, not these 16-20 year olds doing it out of immaturity. Doing it jokingly is one thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zany View Post
    It'll pose a problem for staff. No matter if you have the filter off or not, if you're cursing someone out or using vulgarity in a harassing way, you're getting jailed for vulgarity, whether you like it or not, because you're using vulgar words to demean and abuse another player. But the problem it would cause is players to back lash, likely saying, "I got jailed for vulgarity, but my filter was off! This game is so rigged!" So there's that. Just because the filter is off for you and others does NOT give you permission to curse another person out with an obvious intent of hurting said person.

Because guess what, whether the people in this game are still kids or not, it's still never justified to harass another person vulgarly. One person said that the players are not kids anymore, but wouldn't that mean you were more mature? Not to say this is a bad idea. But that statement isn't really true. There ARE still players that're kids, and the kicker is, THEY normally should be the ones that are cursing, not these 16-20 year olds doing it out of immaturity. Doing it jokingly is one thing though.
    Harassment and cursing are two different things. Yes people can use curse words while harassing someone, but that just makes it harassment. If a player calls another player a name via pm, that is not harassment, but if he does it repeatedly then it is. The player turned off the swear filter himself so he should know what he's getting into.

You mention you'd get for jailed "vulgarity". I thought it was obvious that if we add this option that the "report for vulgarity" would get removed.

I've mentioned it multiple times now, harassment and the use of curse words are two separate things, please understand this.

Players would know what exactly it is they're getting into when they turn it off.

Honestly, Zany's points make sense, it would cause some complications. But on the other hand the filter system is pretty faulty and I'd be glad if it was removed or at least fixed a little, either way it won't affect me too much with what happens in the end. If they don't remove it that is fine too and we all will manage just fine as we have been for years of playing Era. In the end, I'd be more satisfied if it was removed but at the same time I know it might be a bad idea to do so.

As far as harassment goes, well you can always block specific people while keeping the filter off if you like.
    "Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours."

Option to Turn Off the Swear Filter

I said I was done but this is still rumbling so I figured I'd give a little more common sense.
    It seems like the biggest problem that people have with this idea is the fact that vulgarity is used in bad ways, and kids shouldn't be exposed to it.

So let's start off with people thinking curse words is ONLY used for harassment. BeenDead has an excellent point on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BEENDEAD View Post

I've mentioned it multiple times now, harassment and the use of curse words are two separate things, please understand this.
    Basically you can use curse words in many ways. Some good, some bad, some in between.
    But in the end I really don't get peoples problem with harassment. Before you get me confused, I DO think harassment is wrong but as I was saying I don't see why people have a big problem with it because one of my favorite quotes is "Words are only as powerful as you allow them to be"

Basically what this is saying if you don't understand is words are simply words. They mean absolutely nothing until you let them offend you. So when someone on the internet calls you an F'n noob with no skill and that you should commit suicide it's simply some mad person typing out meaningless words. If you don't want to be offended well that's your choice buddy.

Ok here's the fun part, kids being exposed to vulgarity. As I had said it's their choice to do so as this would be an OPTION in the settings to turn the language filter ON and OFF. Sadly I couldn't find the quote but I'm pretty sure someone posted on here that it's not our fault if they get exposed to vulgarity as the parent/guardian should be monitoring they're online activities.

So at the end of the day it's completely your choice to take offense from online harassment, and it's the kids and parent/guardian of the kids fault if a kid gets exposed to vulgarity. You can already say a few curse words and easily bypass the filter as it is so it's not like it's going to be completely different.

One last thing is some forum admin edited my post because I said " f..k...n..." without the periods, I get that the admin was trying doing they're job but the fact that was removed is absurd. It sucks that I don't have my freedom of speech to say 3 letters is disgusting, due to me actually not spelling the world completely or blanking out one or two letters with a * means I didn't even cuss so admins and learn how to do your job correctly e.e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Frozenshadow; 10-13-2017 at 01:20 PM.

It's true that most players know all the curse words, so what're they hiding?
    Would you curse at a business meeting?
    At kindergarten class to the teachers there?
    It's just basic respect as a human being, we get it, it's a game you want to have fun, but you're turning into those Minecraft kids on Xbox that suddenly know your mother. I want the filter off too, trust me, but if it goes that way then you just allowed kids to express themselves wrongfully and not punish them for that.
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA

I'm cringing so much on the people in this thread who keep asking for "Freedom of Speech" for being allowed to be cursing in a game or a forum -.-
    "Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours."

Zany
    First off, never did I say vulgarity and harassment were the same, and never did I say that all vulgarity is only used to harass others. But the two go hand and hand and are used as such more times than not.

This I'll say, and I'll leave it at this.

The only way I'll get on board with this fully and agree with the statement a person said about "Graal needs to know we aren't kids anymore" is if people grow up. Whether you like it or not, a good amount of the players in this game are immature, rude, and think everyone who disagrees with them is wrong. I've dealt with these people on a daily basis before, and it honestly has always bothered me how comfortable everyone is about acting like this. (Before people get defensive, this DOES NOT go for everyone. I said a good amount. Not every single person. Because I know at least one person is going to reshape my words.) I don't care if it's an online game or not. Words HURT others. One person tried to prove a point of saying words only hurt if you let them. That is no justification, and every single individual handles situations differently. Some people have mental health issues that prevent them from letting these words not bother them. I get that calling someone a noob is one thing. If you get bothered by that, you need to grow thicker skin. But when you tell people to kill themselves, threaten others (Which I got on continuum as a staff in sometimes almost dangerous ways), curse others out, whatever, you can not tell others to not let it bother them, and you have no right telling them that if they can't handle it, they can't be online. That's basically saying that people can harass others and if you don't like it, screw off.

There's a fine line between people being too sensitive and others being too harsh. The common excuse is people are too sensitive, which is ridiculous, because some of the crap people say online is horrifying. I've seen some crap that has made me just gasp. It's insane.

If you want Era to treat you like you aren't kids anymore, maybe you should stop acting like kids. This isn't to everyone here, most of the people on the forums are respectful and other, I meant that statement in GENERAL. In all seriousness though, on a daily basis still, I see people that are 16, 17, 18 that act like they're 12. "Having fun" in a game does not mean you have to be a complete brat to everyone else. We don't need to baby proof the game, but hell, people still should act their age.

People have to learn to see from multiple POVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zany View Post
    First off, never did I say vulgarity and harassment were the same, and never did I say that all vulgarity is only used to harass others. But the two go hand and hand and are used as such more times than not.

This I'll say, and I'll leave it at this.

The only way I'll get on board with this fully and agree with the statement a person said about "Graal needs to know we aren't kids anymore" is if people grow up. Whether you like it or not, a good amount of the players in this game are immature, rude, and think everyone who disagrees with them is wrong. I've dealt with these people on a daily basis before, and it honestly has always bothered me how comfortable everyone is about acting like this. (Before people get defensive, this DOES NOT go for everyone. I said a good amount. Not every single person. Because I know at least one person is going to reshape my words.) I don't care if it's an online game or not. Words HURT others. One person tried to prove a point of saying words only hurt if you let them. That is no justification, and every single individual handles situations differently. Some people have mental health issues that prevent them from letting these words not bother them. I get that calling someone a noob is one thing. If you get bothered by that, you need to grow thicker skin. But when you tell people to kill themselves, threaten others (Which I got on continuum as a staff in sometimes almost dangerous ways), curse others out, whatever, you can not tell others to not let it bother them, and you have no right telling them that if they can't handle it, they can't be online. That's basically saying that people can harass others and if you don't like it, screw off.

If you want Era to treat you like you aren't kids anymore, maybe you should start by stopping acting like kids. This isn't to everyone here, most of the people on the forums are respectful and other, I meant that statement in GENERAL. In all seriousness though, on a daily basis still, I see people that are 16, 17, 18 that act like they're 12. "Having fun" in a game does not mean you have to be a complete brat to everyone else. We don't need to baby proof the game, but hell, people still should act their age.
    I was that "person" that said words have no power, appreciate you taking 10 seconds to see who wrote that and use their name. Anyways here's the thing, you can tell someone to not let it bother them. They control their mind they can block it out. So if someone can't handle some 14 year old kid saying "kys" then it sounds like they shouldn't be on the internet. They need to stop being a mommies baby and learn how to fight for themselves. And if they're mentally depressed then why the hell are they even playing graal? I'm sorry if this offends anyone but for real you little scared *** kids need to learn how to take crap to the face and deal with it like a grownup instead of begging an admin to ban someone because you got called trash. Also this post is not pointed directly at anyone, it's meant for whoever can't defend themselves from meaningless words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk