Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Option to Turn Off the Swear Filter

Quote Originally Posted by BiTzSam View Post
    I haven't looked at the responses but I don't see this ever happening. Regardless of freedom of expression or not, iEra has an app store rating it must uphold, and allowing this would be breaking that.
    I agree with Btzsam on this.
    I like the idea of being able to turn off the swear filter but unless they change rating from 12+ to 17+ its not going to happen.
    Who do we have to get through in order to change the app store rating?
    I don't have a clue.
    I like the idea but its pretty hard to get ideas through on Graal.
    Graal genrally doesn't have a good reputation on being customer focused.
    Most staff that makes the big decision doesn't even play the game.
    I'd vote for yes to turning off the swear filter, but having an election under a dictatorship wouldn't matter because no matter how little votes there are there can only be one winner.

Additionally this feature would make it a lot harder for PRs to do their job in being able to distinguish who does or doesn't have the filter turned on, and the feature itself would just encourage more toxic behaviour which iEra doesn't need anymore of.
    IMHO words in of itself are mere adjectives.
    Adjectives in of them selves are harmless, the problem is with the intention behind the words.
    Theres a difference between a cop saying ''put your F@cking hands up in the air'' & calling some one a f@cktard.
    The former being used as an emphasis to communicate the seriousness of the situation & the latter being used as a means to insult & hurt

The structure of the game is a dog eat dog world nature full of competitive kids with big egos & trying to show off as much as much as possible & act superior.

Banning the words won't change peoples nature & structure of the game.

They'll just find a different adjective to hurt people that isn't considered culturally explicit but when used in the right way acts in the same way as any other ''curse'' words.

EG
    Garbage/ balls/ trash as what it is & calling someone scrub garbage, trash no balls etc.

Maybe if your intention was finding out whos bypassing the swear filter eg @sshole but if you''re trying to stop toxic behaviour & saying the options encourages more toxic behaviour no chance.

Toxicity is part of the nature of the game like how much backstabbing & corporate drama there is office drama its not the words that hurt people its the actions & intentions & ill will of people that hurt & no amount of policing will increase or decrease the bad nature of people without addressing the structural built in issues.

We can dress up & give the illusion that it fixes something or we can start being honest with ourselves & just admit that swear filter is total BS & do away with it.

Blame the people & jail people who are harassing but don't block out the words which are harmless by themselves.

here's a list of things you should be able to do

- swear in conversation without filtration

here's a list of things you shouldn't be able to do

- use swear words with the intent of hurting others

issue withstanding that people will literally abuse anything, and if you give them the ability to swear in conversation without filtration, they won't be able to resist the ability to use swear words with the intent of hurting others -- era is an inherently competitive game and enough trash talk flies without actual malicious intent that introducing words that have any power to any portion of the playerbase just does more harm than good.

besides, i figure at this point, if you're comfortable enough swearing around anyone, you're probably close enough with them to just hop on discord and talk however you'd like.

my only gripe with the filter is that it catches words that aren't swear words as being part of a word on the blacklist.

here's an example of that

THE SCENE IS BASE BATTLE. FORTE, LOGIC AND BLAZER ARE LOSING TO A TEAM OF 800 GENETICALLY ENGINEERED BASE BATTLE ROBOTS, BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY WAY YOU'RE EVER GOING TO BEAT ANY OF US AT ANYTHING.
    FORTE: "hey, can you find blazer? he's been missing since the start"
    LOGIC: "i think i saw him lose a ton of health in the beginning"
    F: "oh, so he's hit?"

CUT

you might not've caught that, but the filter would've flagged my last message as being a swear word. oh, so he'S HIT?

i get the intent, but you could tone it down and just have a flag that sends a log of what a player says if they're evading filter to an RC tab and then have staff flip through that on occasion, then gag evaders. after 5 gags, enable a flag that re-enables the leapfrog filter.
    Founding member of the Divine Family.
    Former Era Legacy Weapons Admin, Senior Player Relations, Gang Admin, Development Admin & Manager (for 8 hours!).

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I agree with Btzsam on this.
    I like the idea of being able to turn off the swear filter but unless they change rating from 12+ to 17+ its not going to happen.
    Who do we have to get through in order to change the app store rating?
    I don't have a clue.
    I like the idea but its pretty hard to get ideas through on Graal.
    Graal genrally doesn't have a good reputation on being customer focused.
    Most staff that makes the big decision doesn't even play the game.
    I'd vote for yes to turning off the swear filter, but having an election under a dictatorship wouldn't matter because no matter how little votes there are there can only be one winner.

IMHO words in of itself are mere adjectives.
    Adjectives in of them selves are harmless, the problem is with the intention behind the words.
    Theres a difference between a cop saying ''put your F@cking hands up in the air'' & calling some one a f@cktard.
    The former being used as an emphasis to communicate the seriousness of the situation & the latter being used as a means to insult & hurt

The structure of the game is a dog eat dog world nature full of competitive kids with big egos & trying to show off as much as much as possible & act superior.

Banning the words won't change peoples nature & structure of the game.

They'll just find a different adjective to hurt people that isn't considered culturally explicit but when used in the right way acts in the same way as any other ''curse'' words.

EG
    Garbage/ balls/ trash as what it is & calling someone scrub garbage, trash no balls etc.

Maybe if your intention was finding out whos bypassing the swear filter eg @sshole but if you''re trying to stop toxic behaviour & saying the options encourages more toxic behaviour no chance.

Toxicity is part of the nature of the game like how much backstabbing & corporate drama there is office drama its not the words that hurt people its the actions & intentions & ill will of people that hurt & no amount of policing will increase or decrease the bad nature of people without addressing the structural built in issues.

We can dress up & give the illusion that it fixes something or we can start being honest with ourselves & just admit that swear filter is total BS & do away with it.

Blame the people & jail people who are harassing but don't block out the words which are harmless by themselves.
    i see your familiar with the nature part of humans, but you seemed to leave out the environment part...As in one who is by nature bad, or one who is turned bad by the environment(community,events,etc.)Furthermore the nature of a person can be influenced greatly by their environment.(especially in children).While im sure there are people who can be passed that point, many are not.

So the "illusion" you speak of is actually a very-helpful game mechanic.And it succeeds in limiting the "toxicity" of words or phrases that may affect someone negatively.

This game doesn't a toxic nature, it has a highly competitive one, its how players respond to this competitiveness that creates toxicity.Like if someone loses they could be like "oh well at least it was fun", "Gg" ,or they could scream(internally)and type "unfair,rigged,Stupid kid was lucky i lagged" . I myself try to stay on the 1st response 80%of the time , but the latter happens with a lot of players.

"They'll just find a different adjective to hurt people that isn't considered culturally explicit but when used in the right way acts in the same way as any other ''curse'' words."

IF they find a new abbreviation or made up "adjective" to use menacingly, 90% of graal players, Thats about 900, folks (used to be 3k+ ROFL) Would rather laugh at it or see it as a joke than take it seriously.(ie. "you bish", "shet","Mthfker" etc.)

I cant say much for the staff part, besides if thats true it would be really sad on their part.On the note of being "customer focused" id say we have around even-steven number of people supporting both sides, meaning its not the most popular with the the general graal community or it would be flooded with people,not the same ones arguing over and over.

Finally i assume you read my essays which each time i hoped to end it once and for all but *sigh* i guess not.It stated the meaning of said swearwords/cursewords.
    Believing that words which are being blocked out currently are harmless is baloney. its not far-fetched to say these words were shaped into something people use to express their hatred or dislike with something, or someone.Which in so they would be recognized as such.A mother wouldnt teach her baby to use a cussword every time they wanted cereal,or when they were tired,Because it carries a bad-meaning,or feeling even with them.

Another example would be if you were driving and saw a really long line of signs just calling you every curse, swear, name in the book.Im pretty sure you wouldnt go on with your happy self like nothing happened, you would form a thought, what this thought is im to bored typing this to explain, but it would be a response of some sort.

Hopefully this ends it but if not rip my time
    GangPromotion: Thatell Happen 2k (Ima sell out now ) #FreeEcComback

Zany
    I haven't looked at the responses but I don't see this ever happening. Regardless of freedom of expression or not, iEra has an app store rating it must uphold, and allowing this would be breaking that.
    Additionally this feature would make it a lot harder for PRs to do their job in being able to distinguish who does or doesn't have the filter turned on, and the feature itself would just encourage more toxic behaviour which iEra doesn't need anymore of.
    EXACTLY. Thank you. Literally what I said, minus the app store part.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonForEc View Post
    i see your familiar with the nature part of humans, but you seemed to leave out the environment part...As in one who is by nature bad, or one who is turned bad by the environment(community,events,etc.)Furthermore the nature of a person can be influenced greatly by their environment.(especially in children).While im sure there are people who can be passed that point, many are not.

So the "illusion" you speak of is actually a very-helpful game mechanic.And it succeeds in limiting the "toxicity" of words or phrases that may affect someone negatively.

This game doesn't a toxic nature, it has a highly competitive one, its how players respond to this competitiveness that creates toxicity.Like if someone loses they could be like "oh well at least it was fun", "Gg" ,or they could scream(internally)and type "unfair,rigged,Stupid kid was lucky i lagged" . I myself try to stay on the 1st response 80%of the time , but the latter happens with a lot of players.

"They'll just find a different adjective to hurt people that isn't considered culturally explicit but when used in the right way acts in the same way as any other ''curse'' words."

IF they find a new abbreviation or made up "adjective" to use menacingly, 90% of graal players, Thats about 900, folks (used to be 3k+ ROFL) Would rather laugh at it or see it as a joke than take it seriously.(ie. "you bish", "shet","Mthfker" etc.)

I cant say much for the staff part, besides if thats true it would be really sad on their part.On the note of being "customer focused" id say we have around even-steven number of people supporting both sides, meaning its not the most popular with the the general graal community or it would be flooded with people,not the same ones arguing over and over.

Finally i assume you read my essays which each time i hoped to end it once and for all but *sigh* i guess not.It stated the meaning of said swearwords/cursewords.
    Believing that words which are being blocked out currently are harmless is baloney. its not far-fetched to say these words were shaped into something people use to express their hatred or dislike with something, or someone.Which in so they would be recognized as such.A mother wouldnt teach her baby to use a cussword every time they wanted cereal,or when they were tired,Because it carries a bad-meaning,or feeling even with them.

Another example would be if you were driving and saw a really long line of signs just calling you every curse, swear, name in the book.Im pretty sure you wouldnt go on with your happy self like nothing happened, you would form a thought, what this thought is im to bored typing this to explain, but it would be a response of some sort.

Hopefully this ends it but if not rip my time
    Not sure what point you''re trying to make.
    If you hate people swearing why not just turn on your swear filter?
    Do you think the swear filter prevent people from trash talking each other?

Option to Turn Off the Swear Filter

Here's a solution... grow some? Stop being sensitive to people from the digital world? Commence the swear filter!

Big dogs eat! Little crying puppies stay on the porch!
    ~Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never gonna happen. Way too many kids play this game.
    Leaf - Founder of BTK

Discord - Leafy#2471

"I don't have no fear of death. My only fear is coming back reincarnated." - Tupac

Quote Originally Posted by LeafDynasty View Post
    Never gonna happen. Way too many kids play this game.
    90% of them swear

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Can you atleast remove ip bans for swearing/harassment etc? Kinda stupid considering some people play with people they know in real life and get booted into the jail for no reason.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That's true, but still. They'll never remove the swear filter. Just punish those who try to avoid it.
    Leaf - Founder of BTK

Discord - Leafy#2471

"I don't have no fear of death. My only fear is coming back reincarnated." - Tupac