Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Option to Turn Off the Swear Filter

Quote Originally Posted by BEENDEAD View Post
    Attachment 31819

This pulled straight from the ESRB website, the company that gives games ratings

Attachment 31820

This is the Ol' West rating, and it has the option to turn on and off the swear filter.
    you cant pull one rating and expect it to be the best. I can tell you there is atleast 4 different ratings depending where you look
    GangPromotion: Thatell Happen 2k (Ima sell out now ) #FreeEcComback

As a person who has been jailed several times for vulgar language I say no

Just by filtering these curse words you're just giving it more power, and there are curse words that are used so frequently that it lost it's meaning lol. The choice to remove the filter should be available. If you are one who gets offended by these words, enable the filter. In the end, if you get offended by these words and leave the filter disabled, it's really your fault. And there is a difference between cussing and harassment.
    Hi

#FightForOurRightsto

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    Ninja[Thatboy]Zayzay_G6 Add me on era

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsi View Post
    Just by filtering these curse words you're just giving it more power, and there are curse words that are used so frequently that it lost it's meaning lol. The choice to remove the filter should be available. If you are one who gets offended by these words, enable the filter. In the end, if you get offended by these words and leave the filter disabled, it's really your fault. And there is a difference between cussing and harassment.
    cussing is a form of harassment, harassment-(taken from wikipedia)"It is commonly understood as behavior that disturbs or upsets, and it is characteristically repetitive. In the legal sense, it is behavior that appears to be disturbing or threatening."

if you search up the right word for cussing/ swearing(took me a few tries) you can get the same meaning for harrasment. ie- a way to wishing bad upon someone, a way to wanting to hurt them vs. hurting someone , doing them wrong.
    (like a specififc form of a general term basically)

Quote Originally Posted by MasonForEc View Post
    cussing is a form of harassment, harassment-(taken from wikipedia)"It is commonly understood as behavior that disturbs or upsets, and it is characteristically repetitive. In the legal sense, it is behavior that appears to be disturbing or threatening."

if you search up the right word for cussing/ swearing(took me a few tries) you can get the same meaning for harrasment. ie- a way to wishing bad upon someone, a way to wanting to hurt them vs. hurting someone , doing them wrong.
    (like a specififc form of a general term basically)
    Harassment involves repetition and it can easily be avoided by blocking. The key word in the Wikipedia definition you posted is "repetitive".

Cursing/cussing/swearing is the action of using "offensive" words. Now this is very vague because what's offensive and what's not is subjective.

That's why in the report section "Vulgarity" and "Harassment" are two different things.

You can use curse words while harassing someone, yes. But cursing/swearing is not harassment.

Harassment involves repetition and it can easily be avoided by blocking. The key word in the Wikipedia definition you posted is "repetitive".

Cursing/cussing/swearing is the action of using "offensive" words. Now this is very vague because what's offensive and what's not is subjective.

That's why in the report section "Vulgarity" and "Harassment" are two different things.

You can use curse words while harassing someone, yes. But cursing/swearing is not harassment.
    I'm sorry but I don't want to be blocking 3/4 of the people that are cursing at me?
    Also how will the system work? If I have the filter on and you have it off, you send a message using a curse word, either I don't receive the message at all, or the curse word gets replaced by * or anything, it still shows that you intended to use a curse word at me which is basically the same thing, again, as the previous posts stated, everyone knows all the curse words, so what's the use of turning it on? What about the people that don't want curse words then? You can't just tell them to suck it up as it is their right to play a game peacefully too.
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA

ESSKEETIT Sottocapo JungleJimmy's Avatar
    Well I just thought of this. Vulgarity is one of the most thing people are jailed for. If cursing is not a problem, then what's the point of vulgarity if it's allowed? It could twist up the rules a little bit tbh.
    Youtube Channel: Jimmy Graal (RIP)

If you know me,
    And I don't know you,
    Then I guess I'm famous enough!

Now youve focused only on repetition, and as i say again there isnt one definition for every word.Since you didnt remember the last time i pulled the swearing/cursing definition ill do it one more time.(taken from dictionary.com)
    Nouns
    the expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall a person, group, etc.
    a formula or charm intended to cause such misfortune to another.
    the act of reciting such a formula.
    a profane oath; curse word.
    an evil that has been invoked upon one.
    the cause of evil, misfortune, or trouble.
    something accursed.

verb (used with object), cursed or curst, cursing.
    to wish or invoke evil, calamity, injury, or destruction upon.
    to swear at.
    to blaspheme.
    to afflict with great evil.
    to excommunicate.
    verb (used without object), cursed or curst, cursing.
    to utter curses; swear profanely.
    and i suppose you frogot about what i found in the harassment definition :" It is commonly understood as behavior that disturbs or upsets,"
    Doesn't take a exters Avatar to know what this chalks up to.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonForEc View Post
    Now youve focused only on repetition, and as i say again there isnt one definition for every word.Since you didnt remember the last time i pulled the swearing/cursing definition ill do it one more time.(taken from dictionary.com)
    Nouns
    the expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall a person, group, etc.
    a formula or charm intended to cause such misfortune to another.
    the act of reciting such a formula.
    a profane oath; curse word.
    an evil that has been invoked upon one.
    the cause of evil, misfortune, or trouble.
    something accursed.

verb (used with object), cursed or curst, cursing.
    to wish or invoke evil, calamity, injury, or destruction upon.
    to swear at.
    to blaspheme.
    to afflict with great evil.
    to excommunicate.
    verb (used without object), cursed or curst, cursing.
    to utter curses; swear profanely.
    and i suppose you frogot about what i found in the harassment definition :" It is commonly understood as behavior that disturbs or upsets,"
    Doesn't take a exters Avatar to know what this chalks up to.
    What? So if I drop the f bomb randomly I'm harassing somebody? That makes no sense. Have you seen somebody going to court for cursing in real life? No. For harassment? Yes. It's not that complicated. If i say "Oh I f***ing love this", I'm not harassing anybody. If I call someone a curse word, it's not harassment unless I do multiple times, then it is. But then again I could call someone a name which isn't a curse word repeatedly and that's going to be harassment too. Stalking/spamming/following somebody is harassment.

Because two definition seem similar doesn't mean it's the same thing.

Let me give you another example. Two people get into an argument and these people use curse words while arguing? That means they were harassing eachother? No.

Certain words do not equal harassment. Certain repetitive actions equal harassment.

Like if I walk down the street and trip and fall and say "S**t!". Is a guy gonna show up and say "Woah dude you're harassing me right now, you need to stop"? No.
    Last edited by BEENDEAD; 10-20-2017 at 08:47 PM.