Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Option to Turn Off the Swear Filter

ESSKEETIT Sottocapo JungleJimmy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BEENDEAD View Post
    What? So if I drop the f bomb randomly I'm harassing somebody? That makes no sense. Have you seen somebody going to court for cursing in real life? No. For harassment? Yes. It's not that complicated. If i say "Oh I f***ing love this", I'm not harassing anybody. If I call someone a curse word, it's not harassment unless I do multiple times, then it is. But then again I could call someone a name which isn't a curse word repeatedly and that's going to be harassment too.
    You might not be harassing, but you still said the f word lol.
    Youtube Channel: Jimmy Graal (RIP)

If you know me,
    And I don't know you,
    Then I guess I'm famous enough!

Quote Originally Posted by BEENDEAD View Post
    What? So if I drop the f bomb randomly I'm harassing somebody? That makes no sense. Have you seen somebody going to court for cursing in real life? No. For harassment? Yes. It's not that complicated. If i say "Oh I f***ing love this", I'm not harassing anybody. If I call someone a curse word, it's not harassment unless I do multiple times, then it is. But then again I could call someone a name which isn't a curse word repeatedly and that's going to be harassment too. Stalking/spamming/following somebody is harassment.

Because two definition seem similar doesn't mean it's the same thing.

Let me give you another example. Two people get into an argument and these people use curse words while arguing? That means they were harassing eachother? No.

Certain words do not equal harassment. Certain repetitive actions equal harassment.

Like if I walk down the street and trip and fall and say "S**t!". Is a guy gonna show up and say "Woah dude you're harassing me right now, you need to stop"? No.
    Again why are you so focused on the repeating part? it never states that harassment is strictly repeating. Are you listening to what your saying? let me say once again because im getting tired of repeating a definition you choose to ignore time and time again.Geez,

"It is commonly understood as behavior that disturbs or upsets, and it is characteristically repetitive. In the legal sense, it is behavior that appears to be disturbing or threatening." (wikipedia)

Lets take a look at these three parts
    1)Behavior that is commonly understood as disturbing or upsetting,
    Would saying a cuss word multiple times to someone fall under this category? yes. How about saying it once towards somebody? Yes indeed so, if youd like to fact check feel free..

2)Characteristically repetitive
    (Now to make this one clear i took another definition from 2 other sources)

(dictionary.com)"the act or an instance of harassing, or disturbing, pestering, or troubling repeatedly; persecution:"
    (thefreedictionary.com)1. To subject (another) to hostile or prejudicial remarks or actions; pressure or intimidate.
    2. To irritate or torment persistently: His mind was harassed by doubts and misgivings.
    3. To make repeated attacks or raids on (an enemy, for example).

This would strengthen my previous argument that you are right Cursing is Not harassment but a form of it.(ie a part of it)
    So while you continue to say that it Simply is repetitive to be harassment, but that is wrong, as shown harassment while in most cases would be considered repetitive it is [B]not always stuck to being repetitive.

3) i have the same answer for #1 for this part because it also uses disturbing alongside threatening which both fit in with cursing/harassment.

-Your Examples-

For your first one: i repeat(yet again) that you are right, its not harassment. Its a form of it.After that you just listed forms of harassment...

Your second example : if two people are arguing and throwing curse words at each other that obviously means they want to hurt each other (i.e harassment)

Third one:"Certain words do not equal harassment. Certain repetitive actions equal harassment." Your right depending how you look at it. If i say certain non-offensive words like "hey, yo, yes, pizza" then yes. Same with certain repetitive actions(assuming you meant towards someone else).
    But if you say f***, B****, etc. to someone that would fall under harassment.

Finale : if you trip and fall and say s*** then there probably wont be a guy thinking your harassing him (unless hes a weirdo , or got the wrong idea).
    Most likely would be your blaming your luck, or the sidewalk,street.This meaning you were "harassing" the street(or our luck, etc.).You blamed something for making you fall so your s*** was directed towards it.Honestly no one would care because the street is a non-living thing so cursing at it does no one harm.(unless hes/she a weirdo , or has the wrong idea)

You should try to dive into the internet because 80% of this is what ive found,rather then what i know.

I end with once again stating Cursing can and is a form of harassment, not harassment itself.

- - - Updated - - -

#that was really long
    GangPromotion: Thatell Happen 2k (Ima sell out now ) #FreeEcComback

OK I actually skimmed through this suggestion and I conclude it as crap. Firstly, the filters are there to protect players and this must be the millionth time u r hearing this.

I know the freedom of expression right is being violated but the use of vulgarities do indeed cause the gameplay environment to be be affected negatively. Everyone wants to have a good gameplay experience and it should not be ruined by this option to filter etc because vulgarities shouldn't even be used in the first place.

It's a protective measure to prevent people from starting verbal forms of cyberbullying.

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk
    A TAX DOES THE BEST ATTACKS ON UNFAIRNESS.

Quote Originally Posted by LYK08 View Post
    OK I actually skimmed through this suggestion and I conclude it as crap. Firstly, the filters are there to protect players and this must be the millionth time u r hearing this.

I know the freedom of expression right is being violated but the use of vulgarities do indeed cause the gameplay environment to be be affected negatively. Everyone wants to have a good gameplay experience and it should not be ruined by this option to filter etc because vulgarities shouldn't even be used in the first place.

It's a protective measure to prevent people from starting verbal forms of cyberbullying.

idk why you people don't get that if you're fine with how it is now, and then we add this option and you hate it, turn the filter back. idk why that's so hard for you guys to process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenshadow View Post
    idk why you people don't get that if you're fine with how it is now, and then we add this option and you hate it, turn the filter back. idk why that's so hard for you guys to process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But going by this logic after its added back people will say since its been added before why not add it back again and if it's bad then we remove it

Rodeo
    Quote Originally Posted by PTNTLcloud View Post
    Ya but Ol' West admins are often jerks. Ol' West doesn't investigate reports, they jail based of how many people report you. I would never want Era learning anything from a ridiculous server like Ol' West. I'd rather see the filter get repaired, like an admin who has the job of fixing it. Also, these words are contagious and look bad on your reputation. They are cuss words for being taboo. The psychology isn't all that healthy. Other people use the N word and it makes me almost feel like saying it. Not to say I don't see where your coming from, but that's a thought I'd honestly have to disagree with.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
    What reputation lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJimmy View Post
    You might not be harassing, but you still said the f word lol.
    Lol if your immature and can't handle a word then maybe you shouldn't even be playing this game.
    Feel free to message me if you have questions or concerns

Quote Originally Posted by ReyR View Post
    What reputation lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Lol if your immature and can't handle a word then maybe you shouldn't even be playing this game.
    Other way around. Mature people aren't trying to hear it and immature people cant help themselves

Quote Originally Posted by PTNTLcloud View Post
    Other way around. Mature people aren't trying to hear it and immature people cant help themselves

It's not a matter of handling a word or two that are vulgar. It's how rampant people use it online that cuse excessive hurt. It could only be a word or two but if you use it excessively it can turn into harssment and insults. This spoils the safe environment for people to play.

These swearing can allow players to cause serious threat like saying they want to kill someone in very vulgar and unpleasant way. Is someone told you they'd want to kill you in a vulgar manner, you can tell he is very angry and you will be insecure, especially when its online you don't know who that person is and when he will be near you to cause harm.

Using vulgarities is well within the right to freedom of speech, but this is provided that it is used to convey and opinion. Apparently the players online don't just use it to express their views, they use it to swear, scold, degrade and take part in verbal assaults. These will lead to insults - maybe a player or two using it won't cause much hurt in your view, but research has found that other bystanders tend to support the bullies rather than the victim. So one or two using these words can influence others to do the same and it can become a group cyberbullying. I'm pretty sure you've seen cases whereby people commit suicide because they have been severely cyberbullied and most of thses cases involve the use of derogatory terms that the swear filter is attamepting to block, I'm sure it won't feel good for these words to be used on you to a point that it becomes emotionally damaging.

Plus, there are younger children playing so if you use these terms you influence them to do so, and this makes the whole game into a vulgar platform instead of a place to have fun.
    You can argue that these players can turn the filter on if they cannot take it, but verbal damage has been done. It's like saying I could let someone drink poison and then if the person feels unwell he can take medications and antitoxin to remove the poison, but the poison has already caused damage. Some of the damage caused by using these words can cause harm that lasts forever, especially when the players using them are very aggressive and take to insulting the parents of players using degrading terms.

And it becomes a never ending war whereby A scolds B with vulgarities, and then B scolds A and vice versa and it never ends. This ruins the whole environment.

You could also say using vulgarities among friends will be seen as a banter, yes it may be true. But once you allow players to use you will never know who will use it on a stranger, who will most likely take it to heart.

So the best way is not to allow these words at all. Every player should be willing to give off this freedom of speech right for a safe environment to play. Era should not be a platform for players to inflict emotional damage and the game has the responsibility to protect its clients from harm.

Quote Originally Posted by LYK08 View Post
    It's not a matter of handling a word or two that are vulgar. It's how rampant people use it online that cuse excessive hurt. It could only be a word or two but if you use it excessively it can turn into harssment and insults. This spoils the safe environment for people to play.

These swearing can allow players to cause serious threat like saying they want to kill someone in very vulgar and unpleasant way. Is someone told you they'd want to kill you in a vulgar manner, you can tell he is very angry and you will be insecure, especially when its online you don't know who that person is and when he will be near you to cause harm.

Using vulgarities is well within the right to freedom of speech, but this is provided that it is used to convey and opinion. Apparently the players online don't just use it to express their views, they use it to swear, scold, degrade and take part in verbal assaults. These will lead to insults - maybe a player or two using it won't cause much hurt in your view, but research has found that other bystanders tend to support the bullies rather than the victim. So one or two using these words can influence others to do the same and it can become a group cyberbullying. I'm pretty sure you've seen cases whereby people commit suicide because they have been severely cyberbullied and most of thses cases involve the use of derogatory terms that the swear filter is attamepting to block, I'm sure it won't feel good for these words to be used on you to a point that it becomes emotionally damaging.

Plus, there are younger children playing so if you use these terms you influence them to do so, and this makes the whole game into a vulgar platform instead of a place to have fun.
    You can argue that these players can turn the filter on if they cannot take it, but verbal damage has been done. It's like saying I could let someone drink poison and then if the person feels unwell he can take medications and antitoxin to remove the poison, but the poison has already caused damage. Some of the damage caused by using these words can cause harm that lasts forever, especially when the players using them are very aggressive and take to insulting the parents of players using degrading terms.

And it becomes a never ending war whereby A scolds B with vulgarities, and then B scolds A and vice versa and it never ends. This ruins the whole environment.

You could also say using vulgarities among friends will be seen as a banter, yes it may be true. But once you allow players to use you will never know who will use it on a stranger, who will most likely take it to heart.

So the best way is not to allow these words at all. Every player should be willing to give off this freedom of speech right for a safe environment to play. Era should not be a platform for players to inflict emotional damage and the game has the responsibility to protect its clients from harm.
    Well educated and well thought out. Very realistic.

I agree with Lyk
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA