Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Option to Turn Off the Swear Filter

Quote Originally Posted by XR View Post
    It's annoying at times, when you're not trying to swear, but it's necessary and won't be removed.

Players have found hundreds of slang words to use, different variations of curse words to use and people know what they mean, I'm not saying to go and find them, but they are out there. There are some annoying ones where you get the "Please don't use rude words", but it's only because of the filter.

For example:
    She talks about sports and school
    [She t]alks about sports and school
    ^^^ that combination is 1 letter off a curse word.

That minigame was the best!
    That mi[niga]me was the best!
    Again, small fractions of sentences that are considered curse words. These can be worked around as pretty much every word has many different variations that mean the same thing. Minigame and Activity mean the same thing pretty much.
    I'm sorry but that's not a good system at all then. First we type a long sentence and game doesn't allow us, that's annoying enough. Then we have to read the whole sentence and find where there might be a hidden curse word in our sentence and use a synonym of the word... Wut.. ?

If it detects stupid stuff like for example as you said above "Minigame" And "She talks" but doesn't detects words like "dik" and "nga" then it's a bad filter system.
    "Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours."

Let's face it. Having a filter system nowadays is useless. Everyone that plays this game is well corrupted lol. There's literally nobody that doesn't cuss, and most people use "Rude" words as expressions and being jailed for that is unfair. No matter if we have a filter system or not, there's always a way to cuss & every single "Child" that plays era knows more cuss words than you and I. Freedom of speech is needed. And if not at least improve the filter so it doesn't block out words like " if u can, she told,mini gun etc".

Spoiler
    liberalism is a mental disorder

Zany
    Imo, it's not a bad idea. But let's be very honest-- the basic only reason anyone in this game curses is in an offending way. Next to no one ever does it jokingly, plus it would pose an issue for staff. If some people that have the filter off were to use vulgarity in an offensive way, there would be a lot of arguing. Because even if you have the filter off, if you're harassing someone with vulgar words, you're getting warned for vulgarity. The excuse coming from players would be that their filter was off, but that doesn't justify anything.

And no matter what your age, it's common practice to not curse- game or not. It makes you sound immature, foolish and rude. I get it's a game and you want to have fun but after a certain point when every other message you send is filled with curse words, you have to draw the line. Considering this is an online game with a lot of young players, you really shouldn't have a reason to curse unless it's for an occasional joke; 99% of the time it's said out of anger, hatred or just being immature.

As for freedom of speech, lol.
    There's a fine line between exercising your freedom of speech and abusing it. That's not saying being vulgar is abusing it. I'm saying that once again considering that it is most commonly used in offensive ways, that's abusing your freedom. If you're harassing someone with vulgarity, that's not freedom of speech anymore. But I'm sure that wasn't your implication. I'm thinking out loud.

Nonetheless, it could be considered... but there's a lot of things to think about with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exter View Post
    I'm sorry but that's not a good system at all then. First we type a long sentence and game doesn't allow us, that's annoying enough. Then we have to read the whole sentence and find where there might be a hidden curse word in our sentence and use a synonym of the word... Wut.. ?

If it detects stupid stuff like for example as you said above "Minigame" And "She talks" but doesn't detects words like "dik" and "nga" then it's a bad filter system.
    It's not like you can program the system to identify when it is being used offensively and when it isn't. It's programmed to identify bad words when they're spelled differently to avoid the system. As for your two examples, that is a flaw; but as annoying it is to us all, you have to think about this realistically.

Big Cheese Sottocapo
    I've thought about this idea quite a lot, and I don't think it's a good idea. I mostly agree with what Zany said.

But then who wants to miss out? Not like 99% will use them, you froget they cuss more than any other age group on graal

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zany View Post
    Imo, it's not a bad idea. But let's be very honest-- the basic only reason anyone in this game curses is in an offending way. Next to no one ever does it jokingly, plus it would pose an issue for staff. If some people that have the filter off were to use vulgarity in an offensive way, there would be a lot of arguing. Because even if you have the filter off, if you're harassing someone with vulgar words, you're getting warned for vulgarity. The excuse coming from players would be that their filter was off, but that doesn't justify anything.

And no matter what your age, it's common practice to not curse- game or not. It makes you sound immature, foolish and rude. I get it's a game and you want to have fun but after a certain point when every other message you send is filled with curse words, you have to draw the line. Considering this is an online game with a lot of young players, you really shouldn't have a reason to curse unless it's for an occasional joke; 99% of the time it's said out of anger, hatred or just being immature.

There's a fine line between exercising your freedom of speech and abusing it. That's not saying being vulgar is abusing it. I'm saying that once again considering that it is most commonly used in offensive ways, that's abusing your freedom. If you're harassing someone with vulgarity, that's not freedom of speech anymore. But I'm sure that wasn't your implication. I'm thinking out loud.

Nonetheless, it could be considered... but there's a lot of things to think about with it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not like you can program the system to identify when it is being used offensively and when it isn't. It's programmed to identify bad words when they're spelled differently to avoid the system. As for your two examples, that is a flaw; but as annoying it is to us all, you have to think about this realistically.
    When someone beat you to the punch....
    GangPromotion: Thatell Happen 2k (Ima sell out now ) #FreeEcComback

Quote Originally Posted by Zany View Post
    Imo, it's not a bad idea. But let's be very honest-- the basic only reason anyone in this game curses is in an offending way. Next to no one ever does it jokingly,

It makes you sound immature, foolish and rude. I get it's a game and you want to have fun but after a certain point when every other message you send is filled with curse words, you have to draw the line. Considering this is an online game with a lot of young players, you really shouldn't have a reason to curse unless it's for an occasional joke; 99% of the time it's said out of anger, hatred or just being immature.

There's a fine line between exercising your freedom of speech and abusing it. That's not saying being vulgar is abusing it. I'm saying that once again considering that it is most commonly used in offensive ways, that's abusing your freedom.
    Not sure who you hang out with but 80% of my friends joke around with curse words, and replace a curse word with a normal word just makes it that much less funny.

Cursing being immature, foolish, and rude is only your opinion I doubt many people agree with that in the gaming community.

And your statistics are based off of personal opinion, not data. People curse for many more reasons than to attack someone mentally, with that being said yes you're right people do attack one another with curse words often. But it's way less than 90% of the way curse words are used.

And for the younger kids, once again it'll be a damn option so if kids want to be exposed that's their choice, BUT they had the choice so if they start to become vulgar that's on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenshadow View Post
    Not sure who you hang out with but 80% of my friends joke around with curse words, and replace a curse word with a normal word just makes it that much less funny.

Cursing being immature, foolish, and rude is only your opinion I doubt many people agree with that in the gaming community.

And your statistics are based off of personal opinion, not data. People curse for many more reasons than to attack someone mentally, with that being said yes you're right people do attack one another with curse words often. But it's way less than 90% of the way curse words are used.

And for the younger kids, once again it'll be a damn option so if kids want to be exposed that's their choice, BUT they had the choice so if they start to become vulgar that's on them.

Not really, I find replacing curse words with normal ones pretty funny,This game isnt some Xbox live group chat, Its just texts, And back to my earlier remark, IT doesnt really matter, this whole argument is pretty pointless.I mean its supposed to be a (relatively) kid friendly game. If you dont like that, im sure there are plenty of other games you can curse out players to your hearts content. ^^

-Edit- And addressing the on/ off switch- Do you really think anyones gonna do that? Take a good look at kids today.They are eager to add to their "Bad words" collection.So who is this helping out? The long- term players who grew up?Or the new ones that want to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonForEc View Post
    Not really, I find replacing curse words with normal ones pretty funny,

.I mean its supposed to be a (relatively) kid friendly game. If you dont like that, im sure there are plenty of other games you can curse out players to your hearts content. ^^
    I'm sure you find Barney and spongebob funny too.

I don't see where it says rated E, or "Made for kids!".

And why are you assuming I love to curse everyone out?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenshadow View Post
    I'm sure you find Barney and spongebob funny too.

I don't see where it says rated E, or "Made for kids!".

And why are you assuming I love to curse everyone out?

Spongebob yes, I suppose you didnt have a childhood involving him.

Quote from the game rating itself "Based on information provided by the developer, the content of this application has material that is appropriate for most users. The app may include account creation, location detection, user generated content, advertisements, infrequent or mild references to violence, profanity, or crude themes, or other content not suitable for all ages."

If im not mistaken it says references, as in a round about way of doing.Example(You know what else is as big as squid wards nose?")Just because you brought spongebob up

And you seem to strongly want to say cusswords freely, or at least have the option to.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonForEc View Post
    Spongebob yes, I suppose you didnt have a childhood involving him.

Quote from the game rating itself "Based on information provided by the developer, the content of this application has material that is appropriate for most users. The app may include account creation, location detection, user generated content, advertisements, infrequent or mild references to violence, profanity, or crude themes, or other content not suitable for all ages."

If im not mistaken it says references, as in a round about way of doing.Example(You know what else is as big as squid wards nose?")Just because you brought spongebob up

And you seem to strongly want to say cusswords freely, or at least have the option to.
    No I never watched kid shows growing and still don't. Not even with my nieces, and nephew I don't watch them.

And clearly it's not meant for kids if it says "not suitable for all ages".

And yes I would like to have the ability to say as I please (besides racism). Although I try to not curse at other players, but it still happens on occasion nonetheless.