Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Era's Situation, Where We Stand And How We Can Fix It

Banned

Exclamation Era's Situation, Where We Stand And How We Can Fix It

Hello everyone, many of you know me and many of you do not. For those that do know me, you know I've been around since the beginning of IOS Era in 2010. It's been seven long years since then, and we've had numerous changes since launch. Despite this however, I think it's safe to say we all know that Era is in a bit of a tough spot right now, whether it be the drama thats been unfolding on the forums as of late or the mass resignation of some of our oldest staff.

PLEASE READ BEFORE GOING FORWARD: As a fair warning this post will be long, so if you do not intend to read the whole thing I suggest you stop here. I would also like to say for the all staff and moderators who do read this, please realize this is not a bashing on the management or anyone else, but is instead constructive criticism. With all of that out of the way lets get into the topic at hand.

One of the biggest complaints that players have had recently is the fact that our voices have not been heard or taken into consideration, this includes myself. While it's fine to manage a game as you see fit, it's important to note that this game is community driven. What truly makes Era and Graal Online so special in the first place is the fact there is really no other online game like it. The way the community acts, and the diversity this game has in terms of who plays it is immense. This game truly is a melting pot of different cultures, races, and ethnicities. Despite this fact however, we've been mostly kept in the dark about everything. The staff and the community should be working together to make this game meet its maximum potential, yet it isn't happening. Compared to older players and staff such as Andrew(snk), Reno, or Meph the new staff team isn't as engaging as they used to be. From what I can understand and have been told, staff are actually encouraged not to engage too much with the players, and this in and of itself is one of the biggest issues I see. The role of PRs, SPRs, or even PRAs are not to just answer our questions, if it was that straightforward the role would be named Question Relations. But it isn't named that, it's titled Player Relations because you are supposed to act as the bridge between us and other staff. You are supposed to relate to the players and engage the community, not hide and only show up when it's time to punish people. You started as a player in this community, don't forget your roots.

Another huge issue is the lack of catering taken towards the competitive community. Part of what gives a game --especially online ones-- replay value is its competitive or engaging activities. This game really doesn't have much of that as it gets stale, and most of the activities that are available have been executed poorly. A perfect example of this is the basing system as well as the gang system, something that has always had a problem but has taken years to finally address. I really do think the work Bitzsam has done so far is great in terms of trying to bring back that competitive spirit, but quite honestly it really isn't enough. For that reason I have come up with some suggestions for you to consider.

1.) Overhaul base levels completely: One of the biggest problems Era has with its bases is the fact they are far too narrow. Some examples include Mafia, Tachi, and BBZ. There are chokepoints in all of these bases that are basically made almost impossible to get through when attacking because of the fact people use their unbalanced weapons and explosives to wall the entire pathway, creating little to no opportunity for any skill based play. A way to fix this is simply overhauling the designs of the bases by making them much larger and spacious. There should be several rooms that lead to the flag room rather than just one, as it then breaks the unhealthy gameplay strategy of standing and spamming straight down the hallway. Some bases that already do this well to a degree are Box Factory, Guerre, and Neo. If more bases were like this, there would not be a need to ban guns such as the Chemical Gun from bases, as it would no longer be feasible to bunker down and spam.

2.) Diversify base objectives: Neo offers the most unique and skill based wars out of all the bases without a doubt. Flag rushing is quite boring and really only needs sheer numbers to get taken down. That being said there should be more bases that are redesigned (at least one or two) that have the same functionality and similar set ups to Neo zone. This allows for more skill based play and reignites the competitiveness that Era originally had.

3.) Create more activities for players: While GraalOnline Zone is a fairly dead game now, some of the ideas and public events they had are among the best I've ever seen for a Graal game. Era should recognize some of these strong points and attempt to implement them in the future. An example of this is the public event known as showdown. This event is a free for all battle royale that warped players to a somewhat decently sized battleground. Each player would only have one life, and there were one use health-kits spread sparingly about the map. The event would continue until there are two players left, who would then be warped to an area about the size of a spar arena. The winner of the event would receive Gralats, and after completed the event would occur again after a cool down period. This event is extremely engaging as well as fun, and would be an amazing addition if it was implemented on Era.

This is only some of the things I've come up with, but as for now this is how the post will remain. As time goes on I may edit and update it, so with that in mind remember that thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Update: Tachi, Mafia, and BBZ now have additional doorways, are wider, and have wider entryways!
    Last edited by Tasim; 01-21-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Manager
    Hii. Just some comments on the topics.
    1. Yeah i agree, some base choke points are a little too narrow, hence prohibit skill based play and encourage spamming. I like the layout of Neo zone however.
    2. Also agree, although i'm not much of a baser anymore, so i can't comment on it all that much. I know we're trying to make some changes, especially in regards to basing.
    3. This one 100%. I actually brought up this subject with staff a while back since i found it frustrating how such a huge project (Italy) was just deserted after a couple weeks by players, the cause of which was pretty quickly determined (not a huge amount to do, so why go there? In addition the entrance is non-optimal) and now we're shifting our focus towards activities and fun stuff to do, instead of creating levels for the sake of creating levels, i'm working on something myself, however i can't comment on that much until there's something more finished haha.

Also as a side note, yeah, there's nothing wrong with interacting with players, i do it all the time, however some staff choose not to as some parts of the player base can be a little un-friendly towards them on the sole basis of being staff, which is unfortunate.

Sadly, this thread might end up being ignored, just like the rest
    Formerly known as "AliGamer911".

yea dude how many times do you think I've tried doing smth like this on Future Improvements section? Do you they were adopted? NO.
    A TAX DOES THE BEST ATTACKS ON UNFAIRNESS.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LYK08 View Post
    yea dude how many times do you think I've tried doing smth like this on Future Improvements section? Do you they were adopted? NO.
    I can understand your frustrations, that's why you continue to push the discussion forward. Being heard is important which is why you keep it alive, change can be made if you work hard enough. I believe that with enough time and enough support an idea can become a reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by junz View Post
    Hii. Just some comments on the topics.
    1. Yeah i agree, some base choke points are a little too narrow, hence prohibit skill based play and encourage spamming. I like the layout of Neo zone however.
    2. Also agree, although i'm not much of a baser anymore, so i can't comment on it all that much. I know we're trying to make some changes, especially in regards to basing.
    3. This one 100%. I actually brought up this subject with staff a while back since i found it frustrating how such a huge project (Italy) was just deserted after a couple weeks by players, the cause of which was pretty quickly determined (not a huge amount to do, so why go there? In addition the entrance is non-optimal) and now we're shifting our focus towards activities and fun stuff to do, instead of creating levels for the sake of creating levels, i'm working on something myself, however i can't comment on that much until there's something more finished haha.

Also as a side note, yeah, there's nothing wrong with interacting with players, i do it all the time, however some staff choose not to as some parts of the player base can be a little un-friendly towards them on the sole basis of being staff, which is unfortunate.
    Hey Junz, thanks for your reply! I can completely understand the reasoning for avoiding un-friendly players, and personally I think no side is solely to blame for this. Overall however, I'm hoping that staff regardless of their roles can eventually find it in themselves to be encouraged to engage the community, personally I find communication and understanding each other to be some of the most important things, especially in dialogues such as these. Change cannot occur solely by one party. That's why I'm hoping we can all work together to make this game as great as it can and should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasim View Post
    Hello everyone, many of you know me and many of you do not. For those that do know me, you know I've been around since the beginning of IOS Era in 2010. It's been seven long years since then, and we've had numerous changes since launch. Despite this however, I think it's safe to say we all know that Era is in a bit of a tough spot right now, whether it be the drama thats been unfolding on the forums as of late or the mass resignation of some of our oldest staff.

PLEASE READ BEFORE GOING FORWARD: As a fair warning this post will be long, so if you do not intend to read the whole thing I suggest you stop here. I would also like to say for the all staff and moderators who do read this, please realize this is not a bashing on the management or anyone else, but is instead constructive criticism. With all of that out of the way lets get into the topic at hand.

One of the biggest complaints that players have had recently is the fact that our voices have not been heard or taken into consideration, this includes myself. While it's fine to manage a game as you see fit, it's important to note that this game is community driven. What truly makes Era and Graal Online so special in the first place is the fact there is really no other online game like it. The way the community acts, and the diversity this game has in terms of who plays it is immense. This game truly is a melting pot of different cultures, races, and ethnicities. Despite this fact however, we've been mostly kept in the dark about everything. The staff and the community should be working together to make this game meet its maximum potential, yet it isn't happening. Compared to older players and staff such as Andrew(snk), Reno, or Meph the new staff team isn't as engaging as they used to be. From what I can understand and have been told, staff are actually encouraged not to engage too much with the players, and this in and of itself is one of the biggest issues I see. The role of PRs, SPRs, or even PRAs are not to just answer our questions, if it was that straightforward the role would be named Question Relations. But it isn't named that, it's titled Player Relations because you are supposed to act as the bridge between us and other staff. You are supposed to relate to the players and engage the community, not hide and only show up when it's time to punish people. You started as a player in this community, don't forget your roots.

Another huge issue is the lack of catering taken towards the competitive community. Part of what gives a game --especially online ones-- replay value is its competitive or engaging activities. This game really doesn't have much of that as it gets stale, and most of the activities that are available have been executed poorly. A perfect example of this is the basing system as well as the gang system, something that has always had a problem but has taken years to finally address. I really do think the work Bitzsam has done so far is great in terms of trying to bring back that competitive spirit, but quite honestly it really isn't enough. For that reason I have come up with some suggestions for you to consider.

1.) Overhaul base levels completely: One of the biggest problems Era has with its bases is the fact they are far too narrow. Some examples include Mafia, Tachi, and BBZ. There are chokepoints in all of these bases that are basically made almost impossible to get through when attacking because of the fact people use their unbalanced weapons and explosives to wall the entire pathway, creating little to no opportunity for any skill based play. A way to fix this is simply overhauling the designs of the bases by making them much larger and spacious. There should be several rooms that lead to the flag room rather than just one, as it then breaks the unhealthy gameplay strategy of standing and spamming straight down the hallway. Some bases that already do this well to a degree are Box Factory, Guerre, and Neo. If more bases were like this, there would not be a need to ban guns such as the Chemical Gun from bases, as it would no longer be feasible to bunker down and spam.

2.) Diversify base objectives: Neo offers the most unique and skill based wars out of all the bases without a doubt. Flag rushing is quite boring and really only needs sheer numbers to get taken down. That being said there should be more bases that are redesigned (at least one or two) that have the same functionality and similar set ups to Neo zone. This allows for more skill based play and reignites the competitiveness that Era originally had.

3.) Create more activities for players: While GraalOnline Zone is a fairly dead game now, some of the ideas and public events they had are among the best I've ever seen for a Graal game. Era should recognize some of these strong points and attempt to implement them in the future. An example of this is the public event known as showdown. This event is a free for all battle royale that warped players to a somewhat decently sized battleground. Each player would only have one life, and there were one use health-kits spread sparingly about the map. The event would continue until there are two players left, who would then be warped to an area about the size of a spar arena. The winner of the event would receive Gralats, and after completed the event would occur again after a cool down period. This event is extremely engaging as well as fun, and would be an amazing addition if it was implemented on Era.

This is only some of the things I've come up with, but as for now this is how the post will remain. As time goes on I may edit and update it, so with that in mind remember that thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Thanks for reading!
    >removes thread
    Hey...

I'm a Cowboy Bay-Bee Sottocapo
    I agree with every point made in this thread.

Basing seems too easy, it's almost as if I've seen the same gangs harvest hours over and over again because they're not given the competition to prevent them from continuously driving. However, they are changing this soon, BitzSam has mentioned that following the release of the base fortress (which shouldn't be too long from now, a few months at most), base layouts will be changed on a regular basis + top gangs above 10k hours will not be allowed to base in the regular bases.

Granted, I think this'll solve a lot of issues when it comes to these top-tier gangs having to harvest hours, but I think we'll still be back at square one when it comes to figuring out how to not get these stronger low-tier gangs to harvest them. Basing is practically dead and unless you're a gang that has 1k+ hours at this point or a bunch of good players as friends, it's impractical that you'll suffice.

-----------------

There does need to be better 'fun' events in Era. I love playing on Zone because of the Showdown rounds. I'm enamored with how Era managed to implement the PK arena, I have a lot of fun there.
    I think that there should be some input on this part, mostly because I simply can't think of them off of the top of my head, and it's hard to think of one without going off of Era's theme.

Ok well I made changes to those 3 bases you listed and widened doorways/ opened up areas/ added more entrances

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BiTzSam View Post
    Ok well I made changes to those 3 bases you listed and widened doorways/ opened up areas/ added more entrances
    Thanks for that, I love the new look of them, lots of room and so far alot of the people I’ve talked to are really happy with it. I'm glad you’re listening to community input!

Don't get ur hopes too much. Even if the fortress is going to be made there's still a chance that it could be dead. A example would be towering in classic. It was ruined and players are still waiting for the new system to appear. It's been years since it happened. I'm just saying we need other ways to take basing to another level.

You want breakfast? You gotta catch it!