Thread: Transparent pixel problem when making hat gifs?

Transparent pixel problem when making hat gifs?

Yesterday i decided to try and make a hat, so i start making a hat from ideas i've seen over the years and a few of my own. After making it, and shading it i'm ready to do an important gif on it. The gif is working with a few pixels to make them go from barely transparent to completely transparent. But my problem is gimp only shows the least transparent pixels and shows that for every frame and will not make them more transparent like they should on the other layers. If anyone has experience with transparency in gifs using Gimp, i'd appreciate a little help. Thanks.

Big Cheese Sottocapo
    You mean transparent pixels don't show when it's animated?

Quote Originally Posted by Esmeree View Post
    You mean transparent pixels don't show when it's animated?
    It kinda does i guess. Basically on the first frame i have a few pixels that are 97.4% transparent but you can still tell it's transparent. And then all the layers afterwards are 10% less transparent than the ones before. And it keeps going like that until the pixels are completely transparent. But when running the animation the pixels all stay the same as 97.4% transparent. So it's like each frame has 97.4% transparent pixels, but only 1 frame does. I hope that made sense.

So what you are saying is your hats animation does not appear to turn transparent while running but in idle it works? Make sure to check all the the frames to make sure you put the same transparent effect on all the parts of the hat.
    If you have any questions or concerns towards era, be sure to send me a message.
     Spoiler
    Admins walking through start.

Quote Originally Posted by Zernov View Post
    So what you are saying is your hats animation does not appear to turn transparent while running but in idle it works? Make sure to check all the the frames to make sure you put the same transparent effect on all the parts of the hat.
    Not quite, no. Basically in gimp you have multiple layers (Which is how you make animations) and on the first layer theres really dark pixels that are barely noticeably transparent. And every layer afterwards is more transparent than the one before. Ultimately creating a mask which goes from very dark (but still slightly transparent so yes you can barely see your face behind it) and when the animation runs it SHOULD turn the very dark mask to completely transparent so you'll see your beautiful avatar. The problem is when i test the animation in gimp the transparent pixels don't work as they should. They stay really dark, as if it's running the first frame over and over so basically nothing happens.

Maybe if you put “(replace)” on the layer name it’ll work. I haven’t tried this before and I don’t know if it’s possible. Just some insight tho, hats in game cannot be animated and transparent at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    Just some insight tho, hats in game cannot be animated and transparent at the same time.
    Well that alone makes my hat idea useless. Thank you for the information, i appreciate it.

You can't have transparent pixels in a gif since the transparent pixels will show as a solid color. Once the file becomes a gif it automatically turns the file into an indexed one.

However, you could go around this if you make it a GANI instead of a gif, i heard from a good source that you can GANI transparent objects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Every Pro Was Once A Noob.
    Every Expert Was Once An Amateur...
    Growing Bigger Is Just A Matter Of Time
    ATT-