Thread: Two Recommendations for Next Year's Cinco De Mayo

Two Recommendations for Next Year's Cinco De Mayo

This year's Cinco de Mayo was over the top (in a good way) just as the years prior however, as a citizen of Los Angeles who has seen many Cinco De Mayos, I feel that some key details where missing and perhaps should be added for next year's.

But first before I go off ranting, I think I should first explain what Cinco de Mayo really is:
     Spoiler
    Cinco de Mayo, contrary to popular belief, is not Mexico's Independence day nor day mayonnaise was created. But back in 1862, was the day the Mexican militia was able to stall the French naval ships from invaded Puebla. France, however, was able to win the war and occupied Mexico until 1867 when Mexico, along with the assistance of the United States, basically kicked France out.

Fast forwarding to the 1960s, the date was later picked to celebrate and honor Mexican American culture.

Now that we're on the same page, I only recommend two things:

Mexican and American flags
    Since Cinco de Mayo honors Mexican American culture, it makes no sense why the American flag won't be shown beside the Mexican flag on this day.

On the streets
    Cinco de Mayo is usually celebrated on the streets with outdoor diners, bands, and etc.

That's basically all that's needed to make Cinco de Mayo feel more realistic, in my opinion. You can add to this if you want.

(Note: Yes, I know I left some details in the text explaining Cinco de Mayo, like why the French invaded or why exactly did America come in after the French occupied Mexico why not before, and etc., but eeeehhhhhhh. That info can be found on Google and I'm lazy)
    Formerly known as "AliGamer911".

a street type setup would be cool, like the lunar new year street
    Player Relations 2016 - 2017
    Senior Player Relations 2017 - 2018
    Player Relations again lol 2018 - 2018
    Player Relations again lol 2020

Quote Originally Posted by AliGamer911 View Post
    This year's Cinco de Mayo was over the top (in a good way) just as the years prior however, as a citizen of Los Angeles who has seen many Cinco De Mayos, I feel that some key details where missing and perhaps should be added for next year's.

But first before I go off ranting, I think I should first explain what Cinco de Mayo really is:
     Spoiler
    Cinco de Mayo, contrary to popular belief, is not Mexico's Independence day nor day mayonnaise was created. But back in 1862, was the day the Mexican militia was able to stall the French naval ships from invaded Puebla. France, however, was able to win the war and occupied Mexico until 1867 when Mexico, along with the assistance of the United States, basically kicked France out.

Fast forwarding to the 1960s, the date was later picked to celebrate and honor Mexican American culture.

Now that we're on the same page, I only recommend two things:

Mexican and American flags
    Since Cinco de Mayo honors Mexican American culture, it makes no sense why the American flag won't be shown beside the Mexican flag on this day.

On the streets
    Cinco de Mayo is usually celebrated on the streets with outdoor diners, bands, and etc.

That's basically all that's needed to make Cinco de Mayo feel more realistic, in my opinion. You can add to this if you want.

(Note: Yes, I know I left some details in the text explaining Cinco de Mayo, like why the French invaded or why exactly did America come in after the French occupied Mexico why not before, and etc., but eeeehhhhhhh. That info can be found on Google and I'm lazy)
    I agree that cinco de mayo should be taken to the streets, maybe even have an NPC walking the streets of era dropping goodies and emitting music towards players nearby.
    But it is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's unlikely victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862 (Wiki) and since the US the holiday changed a bit with celebrating mexica-american culture, so that means that the US only celebrates that Bond, as for mexico it celebrates the event itself as a tradition, although the US helped it does not mean that the event rotates also around it, which is totally logical since we've seen many countries with similiar celebrations but I do not see the flags of the countries that helps (which is quite a shame actually) but it is the way it is.
    in Lebanon ( my country) after continuous wars and help from France and the US and the UK to defeat the Ottomans, I don't see any of their flags when we celebrate those events. it's because we're celebrating the country's victory.
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyaudi1 View Post
    I agree that cinco de mayo should be taken to the streets, maybe even have an NPC walking the streets of era dropping goodies and emitting music towards players nearby.
    But it is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's unlikely victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862 (Wiki) and since the US the holiday changed a bit with celebrating mexica-american culture, so that means that the US only celebrates that Bond, as for mexico it celebrates the event itself as a tradition, although the US helped it does not mean that the event rotates also around it, which is totally logical since we've seen many countries with similiar celebrations but I do not see the flags of the countries that helps (which is quite a shame actually) but it is the way it is.
    in Lebanon ( my country) after continuous wars and help from France and the US and the UK to defeat the Ottomans, I don't see any of their flags when we celebrate those events. it's because we're celebrating the country's victory.
    True, but as you yourself states, Cinco de Mayo in the United States honors Mexican-American culture while in Mexico it represents the victory the Mexican armed forces were able to acquire.

But even if we took the two ways Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in each country (Mexico and America), it still does not match up the way Era's celebrating Cinco de Mayo, which is the point I'm trying to make.

For example, if we choose the celebrate CDM the way Mexico's celebrating it, there should be something to honor general Zaragroza, but if we choose to celebrate CDM in Era the way America's celebrating it, there should be something to honor Mexican-American culture.

Quote Originally Posted by AliGamer911 View Post
    True, but as you yourself states, Cinco de Mayo in the United States honors Mexican-American culture while in Mexico it represents the victory the Mexican armed forces were able to acquire.

But even if we took the two ways Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in each country (Mexico and America), it still does not match up the way Era's celebrating Cinco de Mayo, which is the point I'm trying to make.

For example, if we choose the celebrate CDM the way Mexico's celebrating it, there should be something to honor general Zaragroza, but if we choose to celebrate CDM in Era the way America's celebrating it, there should be something to honor Mexican-American culture.
    I guess then we should add something for general zaragroza
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyaudi1 View Post
    I guess then we should add something for general zaragroza
    Are you sure, Joey? As Cinco de Mayo is more widely celebrated in the United States than it is in Mexico, so in my opinion, we should probably celebrate it the American way.
    Last edited by Abdullah1441; 05-06-2018 at 10:17 PM.

If I’m honest I dislike the way that 5 de mayo is celenbrated lol not on Graal, just in general.

But then again I was raised in Mexico.

If I am honesty I would rather have it go towards the actual roots of 5 de mayo rather than the Mexican American way.

Mexican-Americans and Mexicans are different cultures, even though we all come from the same country.