Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Incentive ideas?

Zany
    Quote Originally Posted by LYK08 View Post
    I don't recall having had any interaction with you over here or having done what you've alleged. And that's out of topic, moreover. PM me if there's any dispute about anything you are unhappy with.

If you are going to start a thread inviting responses that you are going to dismiss using ad hominem and "poisoning the well" logical fallacy, this forum has no place for you. I will say this seriously and I hope my language is not too difficult for you to comprehend.

You are trying to drive at a point in which it is morally worthy to support, but you have disregarded its impracticality and failed to conceive of its feasibility given its current administration. Your suggestion on this is ambitious, with little regard for its feasibility. Many schools are trying to curb this issue and if they can't I don't see why a game can. You do not consider the current administration in implementing your ideas, making this thread derived from pure narrow-mindedness, foolishness and impulsiveness.

Since you have refused to take some of ur responses pertaining to your topic seriously, I see no point in trying to argue with you. What I've pointed out are based on research and are based logically - you can believe it or not, its up to you. I find it absolutely disgusting of a user like you to start a thread only to treat your respondents in such a manner, its an utter disregard for their opinions (which you invited in the first place).

Many of your respondents are providing personal and insightful views on the matter raised and I definitely appreciate their discipline in doing so without any logical fallacy, unlike what you've taken in response to my reply. We are dealing with something serious that concerns the wellbeing of the Era Community and false allegations and logically-flaws arguments will only serve to derail the thread and render ineffective its ability in influencing the ways things are done. I sincerely hope you can take it with the same gravity about it as I do, if you are to continue posting in future.

You only choose to take on ad hominem arguments in dismissing opinions, well if that's the way, then I shall comment no further on this thread.
    I don?t appreciate you suggesting I?m treating respondents that way. In every single response I?ve written, including to yours, and not sarcastically, I?ve said thank you in some shape or form. I?m allowed to disagree with some responses but I?m accepting them nonetheless.

What I said in response to your post wasn?t bashing what you said, or disregarding it. I simply disagreed with some things, and agreed with others. I?m sorry you feel I?m inferior and disgusting to you, in no way did I mean to be such.

And I?m not trying to solve world peace. All I want is some garnered ideas on finding ways to encourage better behavior. I said ?I appreciate all responses nonetheless? in most recent post. I don?t disregard anything, and that assumption is insulting.

But you?re steering this off topic. If you want to argue over a respectful response, although you seem to think I?m being malicious, please privately contact me, and tell me what I said that you found as insulting as you did. Otherwise, I?m allowed to not agree but I always appreciate and think about the responses I get.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabipants View Post
    An MMO of Era's scale (4000+ active players) is bound to be toxic, and trying to filter out ideas isn't going to change anything. Blocking players is made extremely easy in Graal, so if someone says something you don't like, Block them and carry on. Nobody is going to stop and treat these reports of bad behavior on a case by case basis if there's more pressing reports to be had. You've signed up for the MMO experience with Era, and annoying rude people are unfortunately part of the package, Deal with it.

Amen

Making Era the most politically correct MMO where nobody can say anything bad about themselves is inherently limiting free speech. Take a look at Era PC back in the day, there was a lot of toxic behavior and rivalries in the small community, even death threats weren't uncommon, but because that community is mostly comprised of people in their 20s-30s who have been on the internet for a while, it doesn't bother them because they know they're baseless insults/threats.

TLR Grow some thick skin already, nobody wants to limit their free speech because a couple of sensitive people want to be in a safespace bubble. If you can't handle the fact that some people are bound to be annoying or rude, the Internet is not the place for you, and you'd be much better suited for a safe space tumblr blog.
    Thanks for the response and I understand what you?re saying. But in no shape or form is sending death threats, and being racist something that should be allowed and accepted as ?okay?. It?s not about growing thick skin because you have to realize every single person has different history and culture and handles things differently. A block may stop it but it can still bother someone. Someone is rude or annoying? Fine. But when someone is threatening, racist, and extremely over the top, they will be punished, and their freedom of speech will be limited as a result. It?s just how it is.

I was talking to someone about my disabled brother who is currently sick in the hospital with a friend, and someone decided to curse out me and my brother, saying he deserved to die. That?s a sensitive thing for me, like you?d never know, and I?m supposed to walk away like nothing happened? Maybe you can, I can't though. Even though I could?ve said it privately, that?s MY freedom of speech and that puts that persons horrendous actions on me.

Nonetheless, I do agree we shouldn?t limit all speech or something like that. I?m talking about extremes. Not curse words without direction and annoyances. The game is more diverse now, and with that needs change; if someone says things like that it can?t be accepted, hollow or not. I do see what you are saying though.

We have to keep in mind that even though ?words have as much power as you give them?, you have to be soulless to have absolutely nothing that is said to you affecting you.

- - - Updated - - -

Please keep this thread on topic, I don’t want it being closed. Thanks

Banned
    @Zany and @LYK08
    I feel like there's some confusion between the points the two of you are making. Zany is discussing what we as players can do to help decrease the toxicity in the community. LYK08 is discussing ways that the staff team needs to improve in order to decrease the toxicity. I believe both of you make valid points, and I believe they go hand in hand. As a community, we can all improve on our attitudes towards one another and be less toxic and rude and all that. The staff team can help with that, though it can be tricky finding that line between filtering out toxicity and over-policing the community.

I think that the most realistic way for us to make the community less toxic is to just set a good example and hope others follow suit. When you get harassed too much, block the person. I have had people tell me that they don’t want to block people because it gives the harasser the satisfaction of "winning". There is no winning in these situations, you just have to cut those people out and be done with it, there are no winners, no losers, you just block out that hate and let the person do their own thing being a jerk and all that. If there’s vulgarity, racism, and other serious things (like someone finding out what city you live in? That is scary stuff.), report the person so a PR can step in and do their thing. I think if we as a people start being more friendly towards each other then eventually our online personas will follow suit. This goes beyond Era, and I feel like society as a whole has been becoming less friendly than when I was younger.

@chocofly
    In regards to "Words are just words": I believe that words are much more than just that. Words are our main way of communicating, especially through the Internet. The saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is a gigantic lie. Words are extremely powerful and dictate how we think about not only others, but ourselves too. If people all around you are telling you things about yourself that aren’t true, eventually you might start to believe them. This is what drives a lot of people into doing things like school shootings or committing suicide or other things of that nature. Sure, it would be nice if nobody was bothered by anything other people say, but that isn’t really how the world works. Public shaming is a powerful social construct with words as the main tool. When you are young, and you misbehave or do something mean, people all around you say things like "That’s mean, don’t do that." or "No, that’s dangerous" and we learn not to do that thing. Words and communication shape the way we think and act, and they can be seriously dangerous when used to negatively influence someone.

@imaginary/margadosh/whateveryouwantmetocallyou
    Big fan of the way you made the quotes just a bunch of ^^^^^'s so we don’t have to see the whole quote again

Zany
    Quote Originally Posted by failure View Post
    @Zany and @LYK08
    I feel like there's some confusion between the points the two of you are making. Zany is discussing what we as players can do to help decrease the toxicity in the community. LYK08 is discussing ways that the staff team needs to improve in order to decrease the toxicity. I believe both of you make valid points, and I believe they go hand in hand. As a community, we can all improve on our attitudes towards one another and be less toxic and rude and all that. The staff team can help with that, though it can be tricky finding that line between filtering out toxicity and over-policing the community.

I think that the most realistic way for us to make the community less toxic is to just set a good example and hope others follow suit. When you get harassed too much, block the person. I have had people tell me that they don’t want to block people because it gives the harasser the satisfaction of "winning". There is no winning in these situations, you just have to cut those people out and be done with it, there are no winners, no losers, you just block out that hate and let the person do their own thing being a jerk and all that. If there’s vulgarity, racism, and other serious things (like someone finding out what city you live in? That is scary stuff.), report the person so a PR can step in and do their thing. I think if we as a people start being more friendly towards each other then eventually our online personas will follow suit. This goes beyond Era, and I feel like society as a whole has been becoming less friendly than when I was younger.

@chocofly
    In regards to "Words are just words": I believe that words are much more than just that. Words are our main way of communicating, especially through the Internet. The saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is a gigantic lie. Words are extremely powerful and dictate how we think about not only others, but ourselves too. If people all around you are telling you things about yourself that aren’t true, eventually you might start to believe them. This is what drives a lot of people into doing things like school shootings or committing suicide or other things of that nature. Sure, it would be nice if nobody was bothered by anything other people say, but that isn’t really how the world works. Public shaming is a powerful social construct with words as the main tool. When you are young, and you misbehave or do something mean, people all around you say things like "That’s mean, don’t do that." or "No, that’s dangerous" and we learn not to do that thing. Words and communication shape the way we think and act, and they can be seriously dangerous when used to negatively influence someone.

@imaginary/margadosh/whateveryouwantmetocallyou
    Big fan of the way you made the quotes just a bunch of ^^^^^'s so we don’t have to see the whole quote again
    I respect you quite a bit for a lot of your responses lately. And I couldn’t agree more on most of your points. Thank you for responding. And yea, I’ve been tracked down, and have gotten multiple death threats before, plus some players threatened and rioted against me as a staff (I was a staff for all of this and most made seperate accounts on continuum to continue) because of my young age, which was somehow leaked and spread.

My only thing about blocking, although I completely agree with what you said, is the effects of what someone says are still there. But blocking still is great for ending problems.

But yea, seriously, spot on man.

So many words to read, my eyes are tired now.
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA

Zany
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyaudi1 View Post
    So many words to read, my eyes are tired now.
    Sorry Joey <3

Quote Originally Posted by Zany View Post
    I don?t appreciate you suggesting I?m treating respondents that way. In every single response I?ve written, including to yours, and not sarcastically, I?ve said thank you in some shape or form. I?m allowed to disagree with some responses but I?m accepting them nonetheless.

What I said in response to your post wasn?t bashing what you said, or disregarding it. I simply disagreed with some things, and agreed with others. I?m sorry you feel I?m inferior and disgusting to you, in no way did I mean to be such.

And I?m not trying to solve world peace. All I want is some garnered ideas on finding ways to encourage better behavior. I said ?I appreciate all responses nonetheless? in most recent post. I don?t disregard anything, and that assumption is insulting.

But you?re steering this off topic. If you want to argue over a respectful response, although you seem to think I?m being malicious, please privately contact me, and tell me what I said that you found as insulting as you did. Otherwise, I?m allowed to not agree but I always appreciate and think about the responses I get.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the response and I understand what you?re saying. But in no shape or form is sending death threats, and being racist something that should be allowed and accepted as ?okay?. It?s not about growing thick skin because you have to realize every single person has different history and culture and handles things differently. A block may stop it but it can still bother someone. Someone is rude or annoying? Fine. But when someone is threatening, racist, and extremely over the top, they will be punished, and their freedom of speech will be limited as a result. It?s just how it is.

I was talking to someone about my disabled brother who is currently sick in the hospital with a friend, and someone decided to curse out me and my brother, saying he deserved to die. That?s a sensitive thing for me, like you?d never know, and I?m supposed to walk away like nothing happened? Maybe you can, I can't though. Even though I could?ve said it privately, that?s MY freedom of speech and that puts that persons horrendous actions on me.

Nonetheless, I do agree we shouldn?t limit all speech or something like that. I?m talking about extremes. Not curse words without direction and annoyances. The game is more diverse now, and with that needs change; if someone says things like that it can?t be accepted, hollow or not. I do see what you are saying though.

We have to keep in mind that even though ?words have as much power as you give them?, you have to be soulless to have absolutely nothing that is said to you affecting you.

- - - Updated - - -

Please keep this thread on topic, I don?t want it being closed. Thanks
    Well yes, you said you wanted ideas to improve the community and I was telling you straight the following
    1. The administration needs to change for ideas generated in the first place to work. (it's a fact to accept, is it that hard?)

2. Why some players choose to behave as what you said so that you can better understand what you're dealing with (but as you said u have difficulties taking it seriously, so this is just disregarding what I've mentioned, which I am obviously unhappy with because you asked for responses and I'm providing you with some)

3. You didnt make much emphasis on "death threats" in your first post. Who'd know you'd be referring to that?

I honestly don't know what's with the accusations and how has it got to do with incentive ideas in the first place. And I don't have a problem with you, which is why my first post was kept entirely neutral with no personal attacks whatsoever. And I didn't expect you to take offense with my first post.

You can obviously disagree with the admin part, but I think acknowledging that the current administration needs to change is prerequisite for any ideas generated to work in the first place. Case in point - the player count has fallen from 3-4k to 1-2k under the current administration and I think that goes to show a lot. Not that I'm hating the administration but I think we need to come to terms that this administration is not likely to make your ideas work.

Out of goodwill I'm helping by giving a response which you can obviously disagree with, but that doesn't make the intention less of a good one. So much for that.

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk
    A TAX DOES THE BEST ATTACKS ON UNFAIRNESS.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LYK08 View Post
    Well yes, you said you wanted ideas to improve the community and I was telling you straight the following
    1. The administration needs to change for ideas generated in the first place to work. (it's a fact to accept, is it that hard?)

2. Why some players choose to behave as what you said so that you can better understand what you're dealing with (but as you said u have difficulties taking it seriously, so this is just disregarding what I've mentioned, which I am obviously unhappy with because you asked for responses and I'm providing you with some)

3. You didnt make much emphasis on "death threats" in your first post. Who'd know you'd be referring to that?

I honestly don't know what's with the accusations and how has it got to do with incentive ideas in the first place. And I don't have a problem with you, which is why my first post was kept entirely neutral with no personal attacks whatsoever. And I didn't expect you to take offense with my first post.

You can obviously disagree with the admin part, but I think acknowledging that the current administration needs to change is prerequisite for any ideas generated to work in the first place. Case in point - the player count has fallen from 3-4k to 1-2k under the current administration and I think that goes to show a lot. Not that I'm hating the administration but I think we need to come to terms that this administration is not likely to make your ideas work.

Out of goodwill I'm helping by giving a response which you can obviously disagree with, but that doesn't make the intention less of a good one. So much for that.

How do you think the administration needs to change in order to decrease toxicity? What kinds of ideas do you have to decrease toxicity that the administration can help with? I’m sure the majority of us would do whatever we can to decrease the levels of toxicity.

- - - Updated - - -

I respect you quite a bit for a lot of your responses lately. And I couldn?t agree more on most of your points. Thank you for responding. And yea, I?ve been tracked down, and have gotten multiple death threats before, plus some players threatened and rioted against me as a staff (I was a staff for all of this and most made seperate accounts on continuum to continue) because of my young age, which was somehow leaked and spread.

My only thing about blocking, although I completely agree with what you said, is the effects of what someone says are still there. But blocking still is great for ending problems.

But yea, seriously, spot on man.
    Thanks. It?s true that blocking doesnt take away what was already said, but to be honest, nothing really will. It would be best to just try and avoid and prevent toxicity, but we all know that is not a reasonable goal.

Quote Originally Posted by failure View Post
    How do you think the administration needs to change in order to decrease toxicity? What kinds of ideas do you have to decrease toxicity that the administration can help with? I?m sure the majority of us would do whatever we can to decrease the levels of toxicity.
    Mind reading my first post?

1. I think the management needs to improve on its accountability especially to those unexplained permabans

2. The management needs to be more active on the forums. From what i could observe, snk was more active on the forums when he was manager and I think that's where ideas generated can actually be better communicated. If the manager only wants to depend on initiatives by staff who've seen the ideas, then this platform would be quite in effective in conveying ideas.

I think its important we know the limitations around which we are working it not regardless of how grand our ideas are we will only be self-deceptively reassuring ourselves at the prospect of our ideas working out but never see it implemented.

An idea would be to be more specific with the rules coz some players choose to disregard it due to its generic nature. They can argue that some status are not inappropriate without taking into account context in which it is applied to.

A clear warning about the punishment that will be given when one person has been gagged. Like eg how the hours will accumulate etc (next length of jail time etc)

An anti-spam system in place? If the same word word has been repeated over many times it will lead to auto gag. Prevents spamming and harassment?

Am outside rn I'll give an elaboration If needed when back.

A TAX DOES THE BEST ATTACKS ON UNFAIRNESS.

“An anti-spam system in place? If the same word word has been repeated over many times it will lead to auto gag. Prevents spamming and harassment? “
    No that’s a bad idea. We already have a bad filter system.
    Like I’d possibly be gagged for repeating the word “you”? No thx

It?s not about growing thick skin
    Yes it is.

A block may stop it but it can still bother someone.
    Are you really offended by something someone online has told you for the sole purpose of offending you? Welcome to the internet.

But when someone is threatening, racist, and extremely over the top, they will be punished, and their freedom of speech will be limited as a result. It?s just how it is.
    There are swear filters in place, which are fine for limiting foul language, but limiting ideas and thoughts for other people is very "Thought police" for an MMO for crying out loud.

Pretty wretched stuff said here, but clearly said for the sole purpose of trolling and trying to shock and offend. By having such strong reactions, you're feeding the trolls and giving them satisfaction. Instead, ignore them and block. It's that easy.

If someone says things like that it can?t be accepted, hollow or not. I do see what you are saying though.
    It's not about it being accepted, it's about ignoring it. It's inevitably going to happen whether a system to limit them is in place or not.

Click here for my Levels Thread

Join the fun on Era-go.com today