Thread: Grammar help. (Possession?)

Big Cheese Sottocapo

Grammar help. (Possession?)

Okay so with the name “Alex”,

should it be “Alex’s toy” or “Alex’ toy”?

I’m sorry that I’m so bad with grammar, but I unfortunately never got the proper treatment for my disabilities.

I'm a Cowboy Bay-Bee Sottocapo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopsticks View Post
    Okay so with the name “Alex”,

should it be “Alex’s toy” or “Alex’ toy”?

I’m sorry that I’m so bad with grammar, but I unfortunately never got the proper treatment for my disabilities.
    It's 'Alex's Toy'.

When you're trying to justify possession, it's with 's in most cases.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Big Cheese Sottocapo
    Quote Originally Posted by BL1NK View Post
    It's 'Alex's Toy'.

When you're trying to justify possession, it's with 's in most cases.

Hmm are you sure? I’m not necessarily doubting you, it’s just that my grandma (who had a not-so-great education) said that it’d be “Alex’”.
    Like, she said that if ended with an “S” sound like “James”, it’d just be James instead of James’s

I'm a Cowboy Bay-Bee Sottocapo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopsticks View Post
    Hmm are you sure? I’m not necessarily doubting you, it’s just that my grandma (who had a not-so-great education) said that it’d be “Alex’”.
    Like, she said that if ended with an “S” sound like “James”, it’d just be James instead of James’s
    It depends on how you're using it.

James's and James' are technically both proper, but personally, I prefer James's, just because it justifies possession better IMO.

Your grandmother's right, but this isn't the case for every word, only specific ones such as the one you noted.

You can use whichever if there's an 'S' at the end of the word, but if it's something like 'Alex', you have to add ('s) to justify possession.

Big Cheese Sottocapo
    Quote Originally Posted by BL1NK View Post
    It depends on how you're using it.

James's and James' are technically both proper, but personally, I prefer James's, just because it justifies possession better IMO.

Your grandmother's right, but this isn't the case for every word, only specific ones such as the one you noted.

You can use whichever if there's an 'S' at the end of the word, but if it's something like 'Alex', you have to add ('s) to justify possession.

Thank you for the grammar help!

Professor Blink

It has no actual meaning. The answer is Alex’s/
    The other part of your pharse where toy belong is actually interesting.
    Because it's hard to find a good toy, especially in SA. I would recommend this site https://www.minimaslim.com/.
    Last edited by bilandima; 10-22-2018 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Removed advertisement

So basically, AFAIK, you use the ' after names that end with an S. I think this is to avoid confusion.
    Jesus> Jesus'
    Alex> Alex's
    Socks (if you have a cat named socks)> Socks' (if it were sock's then that means it's name would be sock).

From Wikipedia:
    General principles for the possessive apostrophe
    Summary of rules for most situations
    Possessive personal pronouns, serving as either noun-equivalents or adjective-equivalents, do not use an apostrophe, even when they end in s. The complete list of those ending in the letter s or the corresponding sound /s/ or /z/ but not taking an apostrophe is ours, yours, his, hers, its, theirs, and whose.
    Other pronouns, singular nouns not ending in s, and plural nouns not ending in s all take 's in the possessive: e.g., someone's, a cat's toys, women's.
    Plural nouns already ending in s take only an apostrophe after the pre-existing s when the possessive is formed: e.g., three cats' toys.