View Poll Results: What do you think should be done?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old Censor filter

11 39.29%
  • Remove it entirely

16 57.14%
  • Other (Post)

3 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Swear Filter

Quote Originally Posted by Zany View Post
    Sorry in advance for the long post. I know I talk a lot lol

Typically, what'll happen is the filter is programmed to censor the short cut versions of curse words. This is why you'll be saying something normal and it'll tell you to "stop using rude words"; an example would be anything ending in "-ing" followed by "a". It, being a system that is only as smart as what it is programmed to do, only sees the "...ng a" and that's that. There's dozens of examples extremely similar to that for any assortment of curse words. I'm for the idea of censoring just the word rather than the entire message but I don't think that the solution should be deleting is completely.

I get that more than half the players are old enough to understand and not care about vulgar words, and say them all the time. I think the main thing is the fact that Era is a universal game, meaning that players from many countries, many religions, and many cultures play. While to you, your entire gang, all your buds, whatever excuse it is, it is perfectly okay with calling each other the homophobic/racist slurs or cursing, there may be people of certain communities that consider it extremely offensive. You can't assume that every single person finds it okay, and the community has a lot more people than you think that are part of said "certain communities" that find those words against what they believe in.

Although some (which I'm sure some of you will voice) may find that silly or unfair, it's just as unfair to completely dis-consider those who really find those words offensive. Quite often there's the argument of "first amendment rights", however if you using your first amendment right limits another person's rights or freedoms, that's when things become weird, although I completely understand the point of that argument. I think that it's also very contextual; if you're using curse words in a light way, or without using it to directly offend another person, that's one thing. However, if you're saying them in order to insult, degrade, or talk about somebody else or something else - whether you realize it or not - , that's a whole other story (and generally, those who curse freely as is typically won't shy away from their colorful language when angry or when they have ill-intentions).

I don't mind, but it's a personal thing, and we need to be a bit less "it's my right, and I'm going to do whatever I want, and I don't care what anybody says, and everybody else can screw off" and more considerate of everybody who plays the game, whether you know those who are affected by the words you say or not. Most the time, they won't speak up about it, because they risk getting full out attacked and harassed for being offended. The intention isn't to limit people, rather protect the entire base in a way that doesn't hurt anybody (I know that it "hurts" when your pm gets cut off because the filter is messed up, I mean generally speaking, and not with our current system).

TL;DR: I'm all for censoring individual words the system picks up. Let's be nice woo
    Yes, besides, there are admins that can help keep Era clean from harrassment and vulgarity.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Development Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief Hero View Post
    This is against what I believe in and I want it censored.
    Can't tell if sarcasm or real.

If real, pls justify why. :^D
    Open spoiler to see Selena Gomez eating paper

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Zany View Post
    Sorry in advance for the long post. I know I talk a lot lol

Typically, what'll happen is the filter is programmed to censor the short cut versions of curse words. This is why you'll be saying something normal and it'll tell you to "stop using rude words"; an example would be anything ending in "-ing" followed by "a". It, being a system that is only as smart as what it is programmed to do, only sees the "...ng a" and that's that. There's dozens of examples extremely similar to that for any assortment of curse words. I'm for the idea of censoring just the word rather than the entire message but I don't think that the solution should be deleting is completely.

I get that more than half the players are old enough to understand and not care about vulgar words, and say them all the time. I think the main thing is the fact that Era is a universal game, meaning that players from many countries, many religions, and many cultures play. While to you, your entire gang, all your buds, whatever excuse it is, it is perfectly okay with calling each other the homophobic/racist slurs or cursing, there may be people of certain communities that consider it extremely offensive. You can't assume that every single person finds it okay, and the community has a lot more people than you think that are part of said "certain communities" that find those words against what they believe in.

Although some (which I'm sure some of you will voice) may find that silly or unfair, it's just as unfair to completely dis-consider those who really find those words offensive. Quite often there's the argument of "first amendment rights", however if you using your first amendment right limits another person's rights or freedoms, that's when things become weird, although I completely understand the point of that argument. I think that it's also very contextual; if you're using curse words in a light way, or without using it to directly offend another person, that's one thing. However, if you're saying them in order to insult, degrade, or talk about somebody else or something else - whether you realize it or not - , that's a whole other story (and generally, those who curse freely as is typically won't shy away from their colorful language when angry or when they have ill-intentions).

I don't mind, but it's a personal thing, and we need to be a bit less "it's my right, and I'm going to do whatever I want, and I don't care what anybody says, and everybody else can screw off" and more considerate of everybody who plays the game, whether you know those who are affected by the words you say or not. Most the time, they won't speak up about it, because they risk getting full out attacked and harassed for being offended. The intention isn't to limit people, rather protect the entire base in a way that doesn't hurt anybody (I know that it "hurts" when your pm gets cut off because the filter is messed up, I mean generally speaking, and not with our current system).

TL;DR: I'm all for censoring individual words the system picks up. Let's be nice woo
    Wow this is so offensive for me!!!

"The world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people" -Mother Teresa
     Spoiler
    "Apple seeds average around 0.6mg hydrogen cyanide (HCN) per gram of dry seed. Since the lethal dose of HCN is estimated to be around 50mg, you will need around 85 grams of dry seeds. This is around half a cup... it requires a lot of apples."

Development Team
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackandWhite View Post
    Wow this is so offensive for me!!!
    Can you guys actually take this serious? Pls thx.

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Can you guys actually take this serious? Pls thx.
    Not sure what you are talking about. I think it is an interesting question about what exactly is offensive or inconsiderate, especially considering its subjective nature.

"The world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people" -Mother Teresa
     Spoiler
    "Apple seeds average around 0.6mg hydrogen cyanide (HCN) per gram of dry seed. Since the lethal dose of HCN is estimated to be around 50mg, you will need around 85 grams of dry seeds. This is around half a cup... it requires a lot of apples."

Manager
    Hey hey.

I agree, the swear filter currently has far too many false positives.

Provide me with a list of common sentences that are filterered out due to being mistaken for vulgar terms and I'll make sure the filter doesn't incorrectly block them out.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by junz View Post
    Hey hey.

Provide me with a list of common sentences that are filterered out due to being mistaken for vulgar terms and I'll make sure the filter doesn't incorrectly block them out.

Thanks!
    Woah thaks! I will make sure to get you a list!

Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahfixCloud View Post
    Woah thaks! I will make sure to get you a list!

No worries, I appreciate it!

can I be honest I think at this point remove but also keep young kids know all the bad stuff for this generation, also it is late to actually do something about filtering people are cursing anyways and ppl will always find loop holes .-. and if I am being honest even I curse all the time maybe you guys remove it but when people report you should jail them also I think you should also keep it for cyberbullying but then like I said people will find loop holes. Maybe you higher a bunch of staff or ppl under cover with powers for bullying situations. I just think there is a limit to doing stuff and there is taking it to far. If the kids are under age they have higher chance of hurting themselves versus young adults 18 + because they know to ignore it. I don't know. I am willing to message you more information or more on it but yah ...

Development Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Junz View Post
    Hey hey.

Thanks!
    Sounds good, will conjure up a list.

Spoiler