Thread: @FutureAndCurrentParents

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

@FutureAndCurrentParents

This thread isn't exactly a happy thread, but I wish that you'd read it all and learn something.
     Spoiler
    So, we all know those parents, right?
    They come to America from the Middle East or Asia and say that America is the land of opportunity, and chances, and more crap that some random dude on the Internet told them. And, that may not be a lie, that isn't exactly the truth.

But that's not what I want to talk about. No, it's about parents. The type that I have and the type that said to me, "Become a doctor or else I'll disown you!" so loud that people in other cars started to look directly us to see what the bloody hell was going on.
    I'll provide some back story:

Both of my parents were born in Jordan, a country that isn't economically healthy and has its fair share of problems, so, my dad immigrated from the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to the United States of America around the early 1990s, and he's been living in the good ol' empire ever since, met my mom, and wa-la! Kiddies!

Which is pretty nice, isn't it? But that's where the problem begins. For some reason, my parents decided that every single last one of us would be a doctor. Period. No matter if we were good at something else or if we found something better to do, they wanted us to be doctors so they could gloat. Literally, they indirectly and directly said it to me. Which us messed up, considering that you want your child to work hard, have sleeplessness nights, and loose a social life, just so you could sit around, sleep, and show off.

Here's an example that has been engraved into my mind that happened last year to show their mindset:

It was the end of the first semester and grades had come in. Every mark on the report card was an A, which is pretty good in my opinion, but Spanish was an EXACT 89.2%. Now, me, not speaking Spanish and my teacher being horrible, it's good that I got a percentage that was almost an A, right? Not with my mom. She got angry that I got a B instead of an A and said how I was supposed to get a degree if I got a B, ignoring that everything else was an A and that you need a C of at least 70% to pass a class here, in America. I didn't say anything, but I'd to point out that she's in been in America for a while now and her English sucks to the point where I don't understand her and ask her to repeat what she said in Arabic. Language isn't easy.

Now since that's out of the way, I'd like to share a story that I don't want anyone to repeat with their kids. It's simple BTW:

We were at the story and saw an ad for an optometrist. I honestly don't want to be one as becoming one is tiresome and the staying one is very competitive. So, I just said "nah".

That was, apparently, the wrong answer.

As soon as I stepped in car, my mom started to scream at me how her sister got FOUR of her sons to be doctor, but she couldn't handle one. She said it as if I was an annoying bug that wouldn't go away. My dad supported her in this. I said that different people are good at different things, and that my cousins would only be competition. She didn't like that and whirled around, in her chair, to look at me and yelled at the top of her lungs...

"IF YOU DON'T BECOME A DOCTOR, I WON'T LOOK AT YOU, I WON'T SPEAK TO YOU, AND I WON'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE YOU!"

That's disownment.

My parents should have sat down with me and figured out what I'm good and what I'm not. Find out my strengths and weaknesses. I've tried to talk to them to do just that, but every conversation ends with, "Just be a doctor." I can't even talk to them about it without them going crazy.

This isn't a petty thread. I'm not asking for your support or comfort.

All I'm asking is that you never do this with your child. Help him, not stand against him, to find a job that he'll be good at and be happy with.

I know that this isn't my usual thread, as I'm usually the dumb, fun, joking one, but I wanted to write this.

The American Memes thread will resume shortly, BTW #Murica

TLDR: Don't threaten disown your child because he said that the job you want him to be may not be right for him.

- - - Updated - - -

(Ik its kinda weird that I'm posting this on era go, but I can't make a reddit acc without alerting 15 phones so I placed it here)
    Last edited by Abdullah1441; 02-05-2019 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Small wording errors
    Formerly known as "AliGamer911".