Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: @FutureAndCurrentParents

  1. #11
    "Bdeesh" AliGamer911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by XSTARX View Post
    Have you never tried going against their will and doing the things you want? Normally their decisions would often soften up to yours as time goes.
    Trying to- just don't know when or how to make a stance.


    And bloody hell! No one should be forced to make a stance because of his parents! What's this? A civil war? There's no talking, just a straight "F U!"? Why does pride need to cause issues when there doesn't have to be?
    Last edited by AliGamer911; 02-08-2019 at 02:30 AM.
    Do you love the Union?
    Interviewed random Americans in Era about their viewpoint on the United States.
    I love America. 16
    I hate America. (traitors) 2
    To be honest, I really don't know. 1

  2. #12
    Pixels NaniRima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    949
    I agree with you, but I don't really blame your parents, nor you.

    But culture.

    I come from a place on earth where people have the same mentality that being a doctor or being an engineer is the best thing you can do; it is something your parents can "proudly" show off to other people as if it was something they earned. It is just the way people grow up, my mother grew up in a town where people are still very old school, so when I mentioned I wanted my major to be in the art field she had a really hard time understanding me and supporting me. Even till this day she still has a hard time.

    But I don't blame her for it, she grew up with different ideals and morals, she will think her way is the right way.

    I had a really hard time too, but I understand my happiness comes first and that sometimes relationships have to be sacrificed.

    If you don't want to be a doctor, you don't have to, only you know what makes you happy. I know it is hard to disobey your mom and dad, and it hurts when they say that you have disappointed them.

    But like I said, you want to make yourself happy first, and if you succeed with what you wanna do I am sure your parents will be just as proud. You don't have to do it all at once, and helping them understand that there are other opportunities out there is one of the first steps.

    This comes from someone who is still struggling with this, someone who also comes from a beat up country and came to the states, and someone who wants to be happy but understands that sometimes you have to go against what your parents tell you.

  3. #13
    Street Boss Jayden-Jair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    521
    So when will the trend end? Have you all ever met parents you wish you had? If not, then does that mean we will end up making the same conceptual mistakes as our parents have made?
    I haven’t met a dream family in my life. Maybe we could be the change for that. Or maybe we all stay hypocrites and live the vicious cycle once again. I believe that we can have a culture where we don’t have to have discrimination to those outside of it. Our issue is acceptance of difference but that’s pretty tough when power and greed come into play on a global scale. We as people really need to continue to remember. Not “kick the fan down the road” as previous generations have done. But for all I know, this is just a dream until we as the collectively knowledged people can bring awareness of humanities preventable faults.

  4. #14
    "Bdeesh" AliGamer911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,484
    Okay, damn, I didn't realize that this is an issue with so many people. I originally considered myself to be a lost cause, so I took it here to show how messed up it is to help stop people from walking down this hideous road. Didn't realize I'd get tons of motivational posts and understanding, but a sold "thank you" to everyone <3
    Quote Originally Posted by NaniRima View Post
    I come from a place on earth where people have the same mentality that being a doctor or being an engineer is the best thing you can do; it is something your parents can "proudly" show off to other people as if it was something they earned. It is just the way people grow up, my mother grew up in a town where people are still very old school, so when I mentioned I wanted my major to be in the art field she had a really hard time understanding me and supporting me. Even till this day she still has a hard time.
    What did you say to convince her, Rima?
    Do you love the Union?
    Interviewed random Americans in Era about their viewpoint on the United States.
    I love America. 16
    I hate America. (traitors) 2
    To be honest, I really don't know. 1

  5. #15
    Capo Dei Capi Sottocapo imaginary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Probably in your imagination only
    Posts
    11,672
    I think it’s because having a medical degree could easily get you a well paid job.
    What are you good at? What do you wanna be when you’re older

    - - - Updated - - -

    Btw I don’t agree w them. Speak to them rather than only obeying

  6. #16
    "Bdeesh" AliGamer911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginary View Post
    I think it’s because having a medical degree could easily get you a well paid job.
    What are you good at? What do you wanna be when you’re older

    - - - Updated - - -

    Btw I don’t agree w them. Speak to them rather than only obeying
    I'm not aiming an eye at anything specific, but I don't want to become a doctor, as becoming one is very demanding, and being one is also very demanding, it's basically a job where you must be always on your toes, something I'd rather avoid. Currently searching BLS.gov (random American website with info on tons of jobs) for some leads.
    Do you love the Union?
    Interviewed random Americans in Era about their viewpoint on the United States.
    I love America. 16
    I hate America. (traitors) 2
    To be honest, I really don't know. 1

  7. #17
    ESSKEETIT Sottocapo JungleJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    2,483
    I’m sorry to hear that. It’s quite similar for me. Pretty much my whole family is in the medical department and I’m the only one that chose not to. I want to be an actor not a nurse or doctor and they completely disagree because they say it’s too hard of a job. And I’m willing to do it because that’s what I want to do. Eventually they started supporting me though. Just follow your passion. I wouldn’t let anyone force me to do what they want. Good luck!
    Youtube Channel: Jimmy Graal (RIP)



    If you know me,
    And I don't know you,
    Then I guess I'm famous enough!


  8. #18
    Pixels NaniRima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by AliGamer911 View Post
    Okay, damn, I didn't realize that this is an issue with so many people. I originally considered myself to be a lost cause, so I took it here to show how messed up it is to help stop people from walking down this hideous road. Didn't realize I'd get tons of motivational posts and understanding, but a sold "thank you" to everyone <3


    What did you say to convince her, Rima?
    Oh I didn't convince her haha, I think that I have disobeyed so much that she now would rather try and understand what I am doing. Even though once in a while she will call and say how disappointed she is at me. But I am somewhat happy at where I am right now, yes I am still stressed but trying to do what I can on my own to show my mom that she can be proud of me without me having a super ridiculously hard career.

  9. #19
    Capo Dei Capi Sottocapo imaginary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Probably in your imagination only
    Posts
    11,672
    Quote Originally Posted by AliGamer911 View Post
    I'm not aiming an eye at anything specific, but I don't want to become a doctor, as becoming one is very demanding, and being one is also very demanding, it's basically a job where you must be always on your toes, something I'd rather avoid. Currently searching BLS.gov (random American website with info on tons of jobs) for some leads.
    You might like Computer engineering or computer science

  10. #20
    "Bdeesh" AliGamer911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,484
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginary View Post
    You might like Computer engineering or computer science
    Is that what you're doing? Lol

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by NaniRima View Post
    Oh I didn't convince her haha, I think that I have disobeyed so much that she now would rather try and understand what I am doing. Even though once in a while she will call and say how disappointed she is at me. But I am somewhat happy at where I am right now, yes I am still stressed but trying to do what I can on my own to show my mom that she can be proud of me without me having a super ridiculously hard career.
    Might try this ty m8
    Do you love the Union?
    Interviewed random Americans in Era about their viewpoint on the United States.
    I love America. 16
    I hate America. (traitors) 2
    To be honest, I really don't know. 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •