Thread: Cosmetic Rewards for Miners

Cosmetic Rewards for Miners

Hey there,

I would like to suggest an idea that has been requested a few times before; mining rewards. I've looked through past threads and noticed that quite a few users wanted this idea to be implemented. Most of these users asked for hats and/or drill skins. https://www.era-go.com/forum/showthr...=mining+drills Additionally we had someone who made a couple hats and drill skins which I believe he/she tried to submit but to no avail despite having users supporting his/her work. I was a little surprised that he/she was unsuccessful as these were no run-of-the-mill graphics, the person actually put effort into them. https://www.era-go.com/forum/showthr...ining+graphics By now I was quite on-board with this whole "mining rewards" idea and so I decided to look a bit more to possibly find a post/thread which tells us of future plans to implement something like this and, lo and behold, I did find something. https://www.era-go.com/forum/showthr...t=mining+skins The post made by Vendhin wasn't official or anything but it seemed like a guaranteed update nonetheless. He mentioned that "We had updates planned for mining but they've been pushed back.", now that's fair enough but this post was made around 3-4 years ago and as far as I can tell nothing like that has happened yet which leads me to believe that said updates were either cancelled or never planned in the first place. Now the reason why I'm quoting and linking these past threads/posts isn't to unnecessarily throw negative comments at staff like "updates were promised but were never delivered, devs don't listen to their player base, the staff is terrible, etc." I'm definitely not trying to do this, what I'm trying to do is remind you that this concept has been requested many a time and that an update like this would genuinely be appreciated by many players.

Now that you've read my quick summary (half of which you probably skipped), I would like to get into a bit more detail in regards to what sort of cosmetic rewards might be cool to see in-game. Please note that the following graphics which I've "made" are very basic re-skins of existing graphics. I am not trying to steal the original graphics nor am I saying that these should be the exact graphics implemented into the game. These graphics are only here to help visualize the concept.

The "Default" Skin
    drill_preview_stock.png
    This is the standard skin which players initially own (Unlocked at Mining Level 0).

The "Bronze" Skin
    drill_preview_r1_bronze.png
    This is the first medal themed skin (Unlocked at Mining Level 25). Yes I know that the skin looks more like brass or copper but as I said before this is just a guide to help visualize.

The "Silver" Skin
    drill_preview_r2_silver.png
    This is the second medal themed skin (Unlocked at Mining Level 50). The silver texture looks different to that of the silver ore but I will come back to that later.

The "Gold" Skin
    drill_preview_r3_gold.png
    This is the third medal themed skin (Unlocked at Mining Level 75). The gold texture looks different to that of the gold ore but I will come back to that later.

The "Obsidian" Skin
    drill_preview_r4_obsidian.png
    Although not medal themed, this skin is part of the previous set of skins (Unlocked at Mining Level 99). I chose obsidian to be the most valuable skin because diamond will be part of another set and no other materials come to mind (except for platinum but that's too similar to silver.)

The "Sapphire" Skin
    drill_preview_b1_sapphire.png
    This is a bonus skin which the player can unlock after collecting/selling* X amount of sapphires. The sapphire texture looks different to that of the sapphire gemstone but I will come back to that later.

The "Ruby" Skin
    drill_preview_b2_ruby.png
    This is a bonus skin which the player can unlock after collecting/selling* X amount of rubies. The ruby texture looks different to that of the ruby gemstone but I will come back to that later.

The "Emerald" Skin
    drill_preview_b3_emerald.png
    This is a bonus skin which the player can unlock after collecting/selling* X amount of emeralds. The emerald texture looks different to that of the emerald gemstone but I will come back to that later.

The "Diamond" Skin
    drill_preview_b4_diamond.png
    This is a bonus skin which the player can unlock after collecting/selling* X amount of diamonds. There are two different diamond related textures in-game, one looks white-ish (for the BAR and Minigun for example) and the other looks cyan-ish (the actual gemstone that you can get). I picked the gemstone texture because it seems more appropriate.

*Using the value of gemstones "collected" rather than gemstones "sold" would be preferred though I think it might be a little harder to code.

Okay so the reason why the skins' textures look different to the textures of the current ores/gemstones which they appear to be based on is because (whilst we're on the subject of re-skins) I believe that perhaps the ores/gemstones should be remade as well. This is more of a personal preference so it's not as important as the request for "drill skins." I made a couple of re-skins which use the lead ore as the base template. Again, these are just ideas and are not something that have to be implemented into the game exactly as they are: ore_preview.png

I have much more to add but I reckon I've bored you enough. If you've made it all the way to the end and managed to read the whole post, props to you. If you could take these ideas into account and leave any feedback, that'd be great. Seriously any feedback would be appreciated. Agree with what I've written down here? Awesome. Want to tell me that I came up with very stupid ideas and that I should go die in a hole? Let me know. Alright that's it, have a great day.

these skins look sexy

huge fan of these skins though its actually very pretty and i would enjoy mining much more with these bad boys

Development Team
    I had thought about this idea before, I'm not a huge fan of the skins. I think they need something else rather than just recolours to pique more interest.
    Open spoiler to see Selena Gomez eating paper

Spoiler