Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why close threads without giving a reason?

We allow respectful debates, however the auction one wasn't one hence why it was closed. There were a few insults thrown around towards members of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Canavi View Post
    We allow respectful debates, however the auction one wasn't one hence why it was closed. There were a few insults thrown around towards members of the forums.
    What do you define respectful debate as?

"The world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people" -Mother Teresa
     Spoiler
    "Apple seeds average around 0.6mg hydrogen cyanide (HCN) per gram of dry seed. Since the lethal dose of HCN is estimated to be around 50mg, you will need around 85 grams of dry seeds. This is around half a cup... it requires a lot of apples."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackandWhite View Post
    What do you define respectful debate as?
    A debate has to have both parties respectfully telling their opinions without belittling eachother with name calling which did happen in the thread. It only went downhill and started to stray off topic after that point.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz210 View Post
    I don't know much about the CNY melee thread thing, but for the worst auction 2019 thread there was definitely a reason. The creator did not know how auctions nor exotic items worked and he was degrading the fact that only one room hosted. Just an overall pretty rude response he gave when I gave a response explaining everything he had said.
    This is my understanding, if someone does indeed express an offensive and/or erroneous idea, I find an open discussion infinitely more productive in ridiculing and destroying such ideas than a closed one. If your heart is truly set on explaining the creator’s opinions, then why not allow the flowing exchange of ideas so that the OP beliefs be opened to challenge and perhaps for their misunderstanding to be resolved or at least for them to understand where the opponent is coming from. An abrupt thread closure provides no opportunity.

Now referring specifically to your post, I don’t find having a misunderstanding or criticising certain happenings as an inherent reason to close a thread. No less expressing a “pretty rude response” (if you can even account “kiddo” and believing that “era hasn’t been doing hard work” as so damaging).

Quote Originally Posted by NaniRima View Post
    The one about auctions was someone debating on misinformation, and the Falchion one was turning into an argument rather than a respectful debate and was also going off-topic. (Did not close them by the way).
    Not elaborating what you define argument as, seems pretty disingenuous. If you define argument as “reason or reasons why you support or oppose an idea or suggestion, or the process of explaining these reasons,” then that would be a joke of a cause to close a thread. If you define argument as, “an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one,” then I do no find a heated discourse as an inherent sin, as it would be a characteristic of a passionate and dear debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Minho View Post
    yup this is the answer both threads were either getting off-topic or it was just starting to bring up arguements from left and right
    By nature of discourse, it may and perhaps will deviate from its intended course. In those specific threads, as long as the core essence of the title is maintained or continuity of some capacity is preserved throughout the thread, then I find no issue.

Observe the example: my (this) thread was concerning (within my original intentions) the lack of transparent reasons for specific thread closure and the rationale for doing so. Interesting enough, people have deviated to speculating why the ‘Chinese Falchion' and 'Worst auction hosted 2019' thread were closed. And so am I advocating for my (this) thread to be closed? No. I understand that what I said previously follows the spirit of discourse.

A dynamic debate shouldn’t be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Canavi View Post
    If I was part of the “members of the forums,” so damaged by terms like, “kiddo,” I would find it incredibly patronising being told you no longer need to suffer from such ‘horrendous torture’ because the thread will be closed. As if thought of as an incapable sensitive child.
    Last edited by BlackandWhite; 02-16-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Fixing bad grammar

"The world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people" -Mother Teresa
     Spoiler
    "Apple seeds average around 0.6mg hydrogen cyanide (HCN) per gram of dry seed. Since the lethal dose of HCN is estimated to be around 50mg, you will need around 85 grams of dry seeds. This is around half a cup... it requires a lot of apples."

I am absolutely devastated that no one has responded I dont think people realise the amount of effort i put into these posts and if no one says anything Im gonna cry. If you think I'm just spouting bs, then why not contest me? I want to be proven wrong

Spoiler

Banned
    I am absolutely devastated that no one has responded I don't think people realise the amount of effort I put into these posts and if no one says anything I'm gonna cry. If you think I'm just spouting bs, then why not contest me? I want to be proven wrong
    It's not that you're entirely wrong. It's just that this world lacks the content knowledge and people have gotten dubious towards responding to such a case that has gained public attention.

I am absolutely devastated that no one has responded I dont think people realise the amount of effort i put into these posts and if no one says anything Im gonna cry. If you think I'm just spouting bs, then why not contest me? I want to be proven wrong
    You post with the intention of being proven wrong?
    Formerly known as "AliGamer911".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AliGamer911 View Post
    You post with the intention of being proven wrong?
    If that was the case then he wouldn’t have created this thread in the first place.
    Knowing that nobody has even replied to his previous post just proves something about how far low the standards of this community has gotten honestly.

I’m not being the white knight here but there’s truth I definitely seek in this thread.
    But then again one of us is either going to get bashed for reciting our opinions because that’s what a forum is about in this century.

Banned
    Okay, I know it's late, but here's how I view the situations.

For the auction thread, there is a lot of miscommunication on both sides. The original post was angry and was essentially making a hate thread while not being open to any other side of the story. I do believe that staff members should have interjected and tried to explain more - how not every staff member is able to host auctions, how things came up and only one person who could host was able to be on, how not every room has to be open. I see how the responses could be considered rude or unprofessional, but I also see that it is extremely aggravating when someone essentially makes a thread to bash an entire group of people based on incomplete knowledge, with no reception to input and also attacking anyone trying to give input.

As for the closing of the thread, I don't believe it should have been closed outright like that. There should always be a reason provided by a forum moderator, and preferably also a warning to get back on track before the thread is actually closed. However, the thread will not be reopened because things were escalating and arguments were erupting.

For the chinese falchion thread, personal arguments were also beginning, causing very off topic chat. People were talking or arguing with each other with little mention of the original post, derailing to personal arguments and unnecessary comments based on the arguments and off topic discussion. Again, I don't agree that it should have been closed without a warning to get back on topic and not make things personal, but it won't be reopened because it was going wildly off topic and full of unnecessary discussion.

I do plan on discussing with the moderating team about leaving reminders and warnings when things start to stray off topic, and there should always be a reason provided.

As for what I consider to be a respectful debate - people calmly presenting their opinions and others presenting counterpoints and other opinions with constructive arguments without attacking people, people's character, or past actions. People should be able to talk about what they think about issues, why they think those things, and make counter points to others who may not think the same by explaining their ways of thinking instead of resorting to personal attacks. This was not done in either thread, but reason still should have been immediately provided by the moderators that closed the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by XSTARX View Post
    If that was the case then he wouldn’t have created this thread in the first place.
    Knowing that nobody has even replied to his previous post just proves something about how far low the standards of this community has gotten honestly.
    What do you mean by "standards"?
    Formerly known as "AliGamer911".