Thread: Zen's GFX Journal

Zen's GFX Journal

Hey everyone. Just to introduce myself, I used to be a classic player when it came out, played a bit of PC Graal as well (back in middle school iirc), and after a 6 or so yr break decided to come back and relive some nostalgia.

Anyway, I'm fairly experienced with level design and feel that I'm fairly proficient with GS2. That said, I've always been absolutely terrible with GFX, and have never really made an attempt to improve. Hoping to change that however with this thread!

For each work I make, I'd like to track lesson's I've learned to improve my skillset and obviously share what I've made. Kicking this off, I've made a simple hammer which can be found below.

Hammer.png

What I predominantly improved on with this was shading. Typically, I use a large set of colors when I should realistically just be using a few, especially for shading. This frequently leads to an overly shaded object which ends up looking rounded, and just off.

I've limited my grey palette to just four colors for shading, and I'd been working on shading the hammer such that it looked a bit like mjolnir. The primary challenge here for me was in creating defined edges through my shading, rather than just making an object look rounded.

Of course, feedback is always more than welcome as I'm just looking to improve; my skillset is currently extremely weak when it comes to GFX. As a side note, I'm currently looking to built a set of useful tools for anyone learning GS2, or building a server, so I'll be posting a thread of scripting work as well soon enough. Currently looking to release an instance system, though need to rework it to support multilevel instances and gmaps. Been pretty busy with school lately so this work has been on the backburner.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another weapon I just made, this time an axe. What I did here was first, improve my ability to select a palette. I chose a palette beforehand, and after a little modification, it worked well! Also arranged it non-linearly, which unsurprisingly helped when making the axe as well. Other things I got some practice with were shading once again, this time with more rounded edges for the blade, etc. Once again, always appreciate feedback. Would like to try a gun, or piece of furniture next. Something that is really out of my comfort zone.

Edit: Added hue to the grey colors.

Axe.png
    Last edited by Zenzile; 05-01-2019 at 07:36 AM.

Not bad lad!
    Discord Me:
    jaala#0029

Quote Originally Posted by Minho View Post
    Not bad lad!
    Thanks!

WIP below, been working for ~1 hr on this. Mainly wanted to do an actual scene with perspective and a light source. Concerned that I'll be really weak when i move to objects with a larger pixel density. Would like to try doing a glass or something, always found glass to be confusing. Though I tried to work with glass here, it ended up being much smaller than anticipated.

WIP.png

Oh wow, you did really good with the perspective
    Graalonline Era iPhone since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Blu_ View Post
    Oh wow, you did really good with the perspective
    Thank you!!

Well the wall is sort of boring, but think I'm done with the above.

room_and_table.png