Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: repeal the old thread rule

Exclamation repeal the old thread rule

There's this rule that is enforced that bars bumping old threads. I disagree with this enforcement there are hardly any fixed time frame for us to consider whether a thread is old or not.

As such, I take this opportunity to ask that this old thread rule be abolished in the new revision of forum rules.

There are old threads that are many years or months old and are still being talked about yet I find it highly surprising that the moderators do not close these threads on the basis that is it old. Take for example, the thread "7 years ago" started by snk in the past. Its been more than a year, yet there are still people commenting on it, and it is not closed.

Closing old threads assumes falsely that the content of it is irrelevant when this is not true. This has caused many users to start and restart threads on the same topic again and again, again and again, again and again, again and again. Just look at Ask a Weapons Expert for example - how many threads are there about "Bar or Minigun" or " Bar or GM4". These threads are so repetitive as a result of this old thread rule. It has made searching for specific threads difficult because the search engine would say there are too many topics with they keyword.

Repeal this old thread rule, I reiterate again.

Again and again, again and again, again and again, again and again...
    Last edited by LYK08; 06-15-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    A TAX DOES THE BEST ATTACKS ON UNFAIRNESS.

Banned
    Have you never browsed other game forums before faintly giving an idea?

The new revision of forum rules? Is this some advertising attempt for your self-delusion?

Have you heard of the term necroposting? The Snk thread is still kept alive because nobody else ever makes a topic regarding it since it's an original content.
    You pointed out threads about guns but those are deemed to be repetitive because the answers can be found on the older thread rather than creating a new one.
    Mods don't just close a thread without issuing a link with answers the user seek so comparing a thread with its originality to one that can be made by others again is rather fruitless.

Quote Originally Posted by XSTARX View Post
    Have you never browsed other game forums before faintly giving an idea?

The new revision of forum rules? Is this some advertising attempt for your self-delusion?

Have you heard of the term necroposting? The Snk thread is still kept alive because nobody else ever makes a topic regarding it since it's an original content.
    You pointed out threads about guns but those are deemed to be repetitive because the answers can be found on the older thread rather than creating a new one.
    Mods don't just close a thread without issuing a link with answers the user seek so comparing a thread with its originality to one that can be made by others again is rather fruitless.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Nope im not selfdelusional. You're out of touch.

I'm talking about bumping old threads.

Precisely you pointed out that answers can be found in older threads when new threads are created. Isn't it repetitive and so makes the section so much more spammy? When there could just be one thread for one topic to be discussed?

Sent from my SM-J600G using Tapatalk

Star, I think you're missing Lyk's point in this, but Lyk is also missed your point... So, even then?

Lyk, old threads are usually closed, like GFX threads, when the owner of said thread is gone. For example, I remember someone bumped a GFX thread and the owner of the thread had been offline for two years.

Question threads are automatically closed when the question that the owner asked was answered. Nothing special here.
    Formerly known as "AliGamer911".

Quote Originally Posted by AliGamer911 View Post
    Star, I think you're missing Lyk's point in this, but Lyk is also missed your point... So, even then?

Lyk, old threads are usually closed, like GFX threads, when the owner of said thread is gone. For example, I remember someone bumped a GFX thread and the owner of the thread had been offline for two years.

Question threads are automatically closed when the question that the owner asked was answered. Nothing special here.
    But if the same quedtion is ask many times by different players i think it gets spammy. When gfx threads are closed when the owner is gone, it is justified considering the content shared by the thread starters are different.

Quote Originally Posted by LYK08 View Post
    But if the same quedtion is ask many times by different players i think it gets spammy. When gfx threads are closed when the owner is gone, it is justified considering the content shared by the thread starters are different.

That's true. It does, theoretically speaking, leave a possibility for the Forums to be crowded with threads asking the same question, but I don't think that'll make a difference, as players already create threads for the same purpose, even if the original thread is open.

I don't know if you caught this or not, but there were two threads roaming around about the Void Knife, despite the original thread being open. Players would rather create a thread to have their question answered, as it's easier to make a thread to get your answer than it is to search around the Forums for your answer.

Plus, closing the thread is a sure way to make sure that it isn't derailed from its original purpose, as no one can post in it anymore.

Banned
    I don't know if you caught this or not, but there were two threads roaming around about the Void Knife, despite the original thread being open. Players would rather create a thread to have their question answered, as it's easier to make a thread to get your answer than it is to search around the Forums for your answer.
    Those threads serve different purposes so they most likely are treated as 'unanswered' until someone is able to solve it. People hate others beating around the bush and thus forces an endless stream of thread to be produced in one day.
    There won't be an easy solution to ceasing the repetitive thread crisis because people will always spam the forum without searching the answers themselves.
    Like honestly, this community has a majority who seeks for easy-to-read posts regarding their issue while there's a 10-page long thread that contains a more descriptive point of view is disregarded.

Those threads serve different purposes so they most likely are treated as 'unanswered' until someone is able to solve it. People hate others beating around the bush and thus forces an endless stream of thread to be produced in one day.
    There won't be an easy solution to ceasing the repetitive thread crisis because people will always spam the forum without searching the answers themselves.
    Like honestly, this community has a majority who seeks for easy-to-read posts regarding their issue while there's a 10-page long thread that contains a more descriptive point of view is disregarded.
    Damn, Star, you're completely right, but you reminded me of something.

Do you remember when Ace had his Useful Links thread? (You were out for a while, but you can click here if you wanna see it)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think an updated version could help deal with spam, as many threads are created asking about upload rules. You get me?

(Side note: I doubt that we should worry about spam at the moment, as the Forums is kinda dead right now)

Banned
    Damn, Star, you're completely right, but you reminded me of something.

Do you remember when Ace had his Useful Links thread? (You were out for a while, but you can click here if you wanna see it)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think an updated version could help deal with spam, as many threads are created asking about upload rules. You get me?

(Side note: I doubt that we should worry about spam at the moment, as the Forums is kinda dead right now)
    Upload rules tend to get shifted about and have changes occur monthly, nothing we can do about it so just leave it to the ones in charge to settle it themselves.

The links Ace put up is indeed useful and serves a prominent purpose for the forums but, we aren’t too sure that it’ll ever be put to good use eternally. If a thread about a topic is made multiple times, it just shows people want a better answer because the existing ones are extremely vague even for us.

How can it be solved? We can’t at this moment due to lack of contribution and poor data analysis on the team so it’s better we don’t stick our noses into it. At most we could generate our own analysis on other issues that needs to be amended but then again like you said this forum is lacking community contribution.

Upload rules tend to get shifted about and have changes occur monthly, nothing we can do about it so just leave it to the ones in charge to settle it themselves.

The links Ace put up is indeed useful and serves a prominent purpose for the forums but, we aren’t too sure that it’ll ever be put to good use eternally. If a thread about a topic is made multiple times, it just shows people want a better answer because the existing ones are extremely vague even for us.

How can it be solved? We can’t at this moment due to lack of contribution and poor data analysis on the team so it’s better we don’t stick our noses into it. At most we could generate our own analysis on other issues that needs to be amended but then again like you said this forum is lacking community contribution.
    Poor data analysis? I doubt Mods get paid to do that, so holding them to it is a bit unfair, but I hope that you see my point on the rules part, as there's a decent amount of threads that are created for the sole purpose to fact-check some rules. The one that Ace posted is good, as you stated before, but it was made in 2016 for 2017, with links to posts made in 2014 and 2015.

So, I think that if it was updated, Lyk would have his solution.