Thread: I want to help. Where do I start?

I want to help. Where do I start?

TLDR: Id like to learn how to code and script for graal in general. Where do I start learning?

Hey everyone its been a LONG while since I've played graal let alone posted around these parts.

I've got that itch for graal again and era will always have a special place in my heart so now I'd like to learn how the scripts and the real "behind the scenes" of the game works.

What's the best way of going about learning everything? I find the fact that there's alot of information very daunting so all I really need is a STARTING point.

I believe I have the gear and basic "know how" to learn what makes this game tick and I HOPE to eventually contribute back to the community given the opportunity.

Baby steps for now tho. Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

P.S
    I'm aware of player world and the entire pc version of graal but idk where to start there because it's not the most user friendly software.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

try to get access to the testbed on player worlds, or someone’s server on playerworlds. there should really be some tutorials or actual information about gs2. but there’s not sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSven View Post
    try to get access to the testbed on player worlds, or someone’s server on playerworlds. there should really be some tutorials or actual information about gs2. but there’s not sadly

Yea that was the issue I was running into with GS2. It seems the info that is out there on it isnt always correct either so I'm scared of learning the wrong thing.

Will try get access to a test bed or something tho. Might have to pester some older players that I recognize from back in the day and see if they'll throw me a bone haha

Quote Originally Posted by elcrazyteeno View Post
    Yea that was the issue I was running into with GS2. It seems the info that is out there on it isnt always correct either so I'm scared of learning the wrong thing.

Will try get access to a test bed or something tho. Might have to pester some older players that I recognize from back in the day and see if they'll throw me a bone haha

do what you gotta do to learn. hopefully one day information like that won’t be behind locked doors.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Grief Hero's Avatar
    I'm not entirely sure if Testbed is still open, but if it is, you can follow this link to apply to be added.

One of the best places to actually start, is to learn JavaScript because of the similarities in logic and syntax with GS2. It's not required but it can definitely give you a jump start.

For function lists, you can go here, as well as here (which is what I personally use cause it's easy to search for whatever I'm looking for).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSven View Post
    do what you gotta do to learn. hopefully one day information like that won’t be behind locked doors.

Most development info is readily available with a quick Google search (ie on websites like the GraalOnline forums in the scripting archive section and GraalOnline.net). However, it is poorly documented which is one of the major issues of GS2.

I saw. I conquered. I came.

Leveler
    I have a lot of links to helpful gs2 sites, forum posts, etc. If ya want them, then lmkkk
    Feel free to ask any question!

iZone Levels Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Grief Hero View Post
    I'm not entirely sure if Testbed is still open, but if it is, you can follow this link to apply to be added.

One of the best places to actually start, is to learn JavaScript because of the similarities in logic and syntax with GS2. It's not required but it can definitely give you a jump start.

For function lists, you can go here, as well as here (which is what I personally use cause it's easy to search for whatever I'm looking for).

Most development info is readily available with a quick Google search (ie on websites like the GraalOnline forums in the scripting archive section and GraalOnline.net). However, it is poorly documented which is one of the major issues of GS2.
    Thanks for the advice! I've actually very recently tried creating mods and servers for minecraft so I'm fairly comfortable with java (obviously MC isn't the most amazing way to learn java but I got the basics down) I'll keep reading everything I can find until I manage to get on a world or testbed of sorts. Would it be more viable to attempt to start my own player world for me to mess around with?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Grief Hero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elcrazyteeno View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I've actually very recently tried creating mods and servers for minecraft so I'm fairly comfortable with java (obviously MC isn't the most amazing way to learn java but I got the basics down) I'll keep reading everything I can find until I manage to get on a world or testbed of sorts. Would it be more viable to attempt to start my own player world for me to mess around with?

Honestly, buying your own server wouldn't be ideal just to learn GS2 when there are other ways around it.

Also, JavaScript isn't the same as Java, but they're both OOP and should still help you with GS2.

I saw. I conquered. I came.