Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will the digging system be reverted after the update?

Related to Players

Will the digging system be reverted after the update?

Listen, I love double shells as much as the next person. But to make a long post short, I'm wondering whether or not digging will be reverted once the event is over. Not having shells show up when you dig them and not being able to grab them is really bothersome for some reason, also I've noticed that the rate of shells you dig up has also decreased (though that could just be because it's double.)

I've been told that it was done to reduce lag and that it may end up staying this way. Personally I'd be against that, it would make digging a lot weirder and a readjustment. Also while it may reduce lag, it'd cause more players to be in one area at once (ultimately causing a similar amount of lag) and takes away the urgency of finding a "good digging spot."

Then again who knows I'm probably tripping. Let me know what you guys think about shells being invisible.
    Watch Mr. Robot on Prime Video.

It's probably better to be like this except for the fact that you get less crab shells per hour. (Unless you count the shells gained from the holes along those you get from killing crabs yourself)

Even though the rate of shells appearing has decreased, I've noticed we are making a higher profit off digging. The only bad thing in my opinion is that that little message in the bottom of you screen saying the shovel is about to break simply... dissapeared.

Related to Players
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmY1809 View Post
    Even though the rate of shells appearing has decreased, I've noticed we are making a higher profit off digging. The only bad thing in my opinion is that that little message in the bottom of you screen saying the shovel is about to break simply... dissapeared.
    The rate of shells appearing disappeared, not decreased. The higher profit is being made because it's double shells, an incentive to what is I assume the rate of actually digging shells being decreased. You also have to take into account the possible shells you're getting from crab holes (if you're doing them.)

The message for breaking a shovel was there for a day, I don't know why it disappeared.

DolanTheCookie04
    Hopefully not, I personally prefer the ability to dig without having to pick up the shells or having them stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki View Post
    The rate of shells appearing disappeared, not decreased. The higher profit is being made because it's double shells, an incentive to what is I assume the rate of actually digging shells being decreased.
    Well that's what I meant.

Related to Players
    Quote Originally Posted by DolanTheCookie04 View Post
    Hopefully not, I personally prefer the ability to dig without having to pick up the shells or having them stolen.
    Shells being stolen wasn't big enough of an issue to be fixed the countless times it's been brought up, so we can only assume it was intended to be like that.

Don't know man there's just something so off about not being able to pick up your shells. The whole idea of shells showing up has been a staple for years and I feel really maladroit when doing it now.

Also P.S. hope you caught that guy at the Classic House Wiki never forgets

Related to Players
    You also have to realize that taking away the risk of getting your shells stolen, having to pick them up and getting rid of crabs, you've ultimately made a job easier than mining for macroers to abuse. Set up a back and forth path for digging and your on your way to paradise.

Big Boss
    We plan to change the digging system back to basically how it was before the event. We had to do a lot of quick optimization on the shovel when there were suddenly hundreds of people digging instead of the usual couple dozen. Spawning hundreds of shells and holes, as well as dozens of crabs per second took a heavy toll on the server. All of the temporary changes were ways to reduce the amount of work the server had to do when players used the shovel. The temporary shovel scripts could see a bit of temporary use again in the future if we run similar events, but none of the gameplay changes are likely to stick around after the end of the crab event.

Related to Players
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    We plan to change the digging system back to basically how it was before the event. We had to do a lot of quick optimization on the shovel when there were suddenly hundreds of people digging instead of the usual couple dozen. Spawning hundreds of shells and holes, as well as dozens of crabs per second took a heavy toll on the server. All of the temporary changes were ways to reduce the amount of work the server had to do when players used the shovel. The temporary shovel scripts could see a bit of temporary use again in the future if we run similar events, but none of the gameplay changes are likely to stick around after the end of the crab event.
    That's good to hear. Thank you Hoyt.