Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Player Retention

very informative

- - - Updated - - -

informative

Very well said. A major problem with Era in its current state for me is the *massive* amounts of different items. I remember the era where the only melee everyone used was the machete, later the event coin got introduced.

By the way, can we talk about how the event coin got ruined? I remember when it was introduced and it felt amazing when you got an EC. They weren't only from events, I remember the staff interacting with the players and e.g. a staff would walk around with 10K HP and the person to kill him would get an EC. Then under snk the EC piece got added to achievements which were... OK, it still felt good receiving an EC after completing an achievement, though the achievement system is very limited and awards mostly new players. Then they added team events and most of the events hosted became just a 50% chance to get an EC piece, your skill rarely matters in team-based events since you can't solo the entire enemy team. Players prefer now only team-based events, but that doesn't mean they are at fault here: it's completely OK wanting to earn some resource easier: it just removed that awesome feeling of getting an EC.

Now, where was I? The event coin got introduced and added some selection of melees and it was simple: the "best thing" of course being the lightsaber which was very prestigious. Now there are tons of different melees to the point where I don't know if there is a single person who is aware of all of them. Used to feel good when you had any melee except the machete.

For me though one of the most parts I miss is the staff to player contact. Felt refreshing and unexpected whenever you saw a staff member doing a giveaway, or just appearing and talking to the players. Felt like the staff is into the community. I was staff for a couple of months and I don't think the staff team is the problem: it's full of great, exceptional and friendly people just doing their job. The main decision of course comes from the upper management. I feel like the game doesn't have many *good* updates. Not the updates where they add a thing or two into the game but something refreshing like the first time the Halloween quest got added or the thanksgiving event spawned turkeys. This of course comes down to the developers, which I understand there are not many of them and they are pretty closed off from the community (and I don't think there's really a way to apply as a developer?) which of course leads to not much work being done in Era. I think Era needs more *paid* developers and not enthusiasts working for free (you can only do so much if you're working for free) to develop the game in a better direction and make the staff more available to reach the community.

Artstyle cohesiveness got thrown out the window sometime after 2013, that's a big one for me. Doesn't help that huge content patches were announced and never delivered. The game is in a sorry state and it doesn't help that UNIXMAD DOESN'T COMMUNICATE WITH THE COMMUNITY AND TAKES ALL THE MONEY GENERATED FROM MMOs RUN BY 15 YEAR OLD KIDS!

Click here for my Levels Thread

Join the fun on Era-go.com today

Quote Originally Posted by Alexei View Post
    Very well said. A major problem with Era in its current state for me is the *massive* amounts of different items. I remember the era where the only melee everyone used was the machete, later the event coin got introduced.

By the way, can we talk about how the event coin got ruined? I remember when it was introduced and it felt amazing when you got an EC. They weren't only from events, I remember the staff interacting with the players and e.g. a staff would walk around with 10K HP and the person to kill him would get an EC. Then under snk the EC piece got added to achievements which were... OK, it still felt good receiving an EC after completing an achievement, though the achievement system is very limited and awards mostly new players. Then they added team events and most of the events hosted became just a 50% chance to get an EC piece, your skill rarely matters in team-based events since you can't solo the entire enemy team. Players prefer now only team-based events, but that doesn't mean they are at fault here: it's completely OK wanting to earn some resource easier: it just removed that awesome feeling of getting an EC.

Now, where was I? The event coin got introduced and added some selection of melees and it was simple: the "best thing" of course being the lightsaber which was very prestigious. Now there are tons of different melees to the point where I don't know if there is a single person who is aware of all of them. Used to feel good when you had any melee except the machete.

For me though one of the most parts I miss is the staff to player contact. Felt refreshing and unexpected whenever you saw a staff member doing a giveaway, or just appearing and talking to the players. Felt like the staff is into the community. I was staff for a couple of months and I don't think the staff team is the problem: it's full of great, exceptional and friendly people just doing their job. The main decision of course comes from the upper management. I feel like the game doesn't have many *good* updates. Not the updates where they add a thing or two into the game but something refreshing like the first time the Halloween quest got added or the thanksgiving event spawned turkeys. This of course comes down to the developers, which I understand there are not many of them and they are pretty closed off from the community (and I don't think there's really a way to apply as a developer?) which of course leads to not much work being done in Era. I think Era needs more *paid* developers and not enthusiasts working for free (you can only do so much if you're working for free) to develop the game in a better direction and make the staff more available to reach the community.
    HI there you made some great points but uhm are you actually a PR?
    Not giving up. mistakes happen, Miracles shine upon us.
    If you have an issue regarding Graal Era PM a staff member or submit a ticket to support.toonslab.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grantman20 View Post
    HI there you made some great points but uhm are you actually a PR?
    I'm a former PR, I don't know how to get rid of the tag on the forums. Why does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexei View Post
    I'm a former PR, I don't know how to get rid of the tag on the forums. Why does it matter?
    Settings (at the top) -> Edit Profile (on the left) -> edit the custom title (it’s one of the first options of the page).

And I’d have to agree on the staff to player contact, I do miss the hide and seeks and fun random non event house games.
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyaudi1 View Post
    Settings (at the top) -> Edit Profile (on the left) -> edit the custom title (it’s one of the first options of the page).

And I’d have to agree on the staff to player contact, I do miss the hide and seeks and fun random non event house games.
    Thank you!

I've been on a nostalgia trip on the Graalians forum for the past few days and even the GSTs were better then: https://youtu.be/ofYDhZhj8x4 (experience-wise, of course, the arena itself and the rules had evolved), had some staff to player contact, looked fun and I believe it had commentators back then.
    I think this is an intentional new policy of the staff team for quite some time so that PRs don't abuse their powers? I honestly quite don't get why that's a thing. Abuse of power happens in all walks of life unfortunately, there's nothing you can do here except make the hiring process even more strict. And I'll repeat this: the whole PR team is a great community. Everyone is so nice to each other that it shocked me at first. It's a shame that all of these friendly people only get to interact with the community during event hosting.

geez

Quote Originally Posted by dos View Post
    I don’t mean to beat a dead horse, because this has been a raging topic since halfway through the last decade. Era’s current state is lamentable and I’d like to outline my opinions as to why the condition is as current, and provide solutions based on those opinions.

I’ve been around for nearly a decade now, surprising to say, and there have been many periods at which I’ve stopped playing for weeks, months, and even years. The only reason that I can say it’s easy to come back is because of the very small group of players that I still like talking to. The guns, the many hundreds of holiday items, the lack of staff-to-player contact, the difference of graphics styling, and the (unfinished) projects having no contribution to the gmap (yes you, Italy). Problems such as these escalate and expand into larger problems, such as the retention of new players. All opinions are welcomed to being challenged.

Precedented Evaluations:

New or Current Weapons
    The combat system itself in Era is exceptional and it always has been. The issue arose, as many people know, when the BAR was released to eventually destroy Era’s working currency. The BAR as I remember it had a price 5x more expensive than the M16 (15k) when first released. The price was moderately corrected but it still eventually held a price of 200k versus the M16’s 15k. With the possibility of micro transactions, hundreds of players were quickly able to purchase the BAR. It was clearly too late to devalue this weapon so many other weapons have been sold at staggering prices since.
    Distributive issues have arose from weapon valuations such as weapons like the AK47 being nearly useless, the job efforts-to-earnings ratio, basing impossibilities, and lastly player retention levels. I could expand for paragraphs on end but summarizing I feel is enough. What are some possible solutions to this?
    Seeing as weapon pricing has customarily been set in stone, I can forcefully see the three solutions as (1) to diminish the value of guns priced past 50k (hypothetically), (2) remove the guns from Era that are too over-valued for the job system, (3) reset Era and all accounts back to it’s release in 2010, or (4) let Era die it’s slow death in the next 5 years.

Graphics and Style
    I have a strong and possibly a different opinion among others regarding this, but the graphics and styling of Era have just grown strange. I’ve shown friends this game and because that the graphics or styling of some weapons (mostly holiday), signs, furniture, etc are much different from the original game (tileset and original NPC’s), it has been very unsettling to them. The 30’s mobster style mixed with ion blasters, 2000’s gangster NPC’s, a modern mall, and just other NPC items in general do not match. It’s difficult to put into words the differences that I see, but Era graphics were created simple from the beginning and should have stayed consistent disregarding item diversity.
    The distributive issues regarding the above include existing and new player retention. The possible solutions include (1) removing all subjective items that do not match the original game, (2) resetting Era and all accounts back to it’s release in 2010, or (4) let Era die it’s slow death in the next 5 years.

Activities: Basing and Others
    The activities across Era have drastically changed across our 10 years. Basing has gone from a great activity into an impossibility for most. It is realistically improbable, even impossible for new players to now start a gang, recruit, and base without getting past the first door if (1) they all have spent 10+ hours on Era, and (2) if they don’t use micro-transactions to buy incredible weapons. Events have also lost their popularity and the time used to develop plasma, among other updates, could have been used to develop and exercise simple ways of keeping Era’s new players afloat through job buffs and such. Era had a simplicity at one point, and Plasma among other updates gave a Era a very modern, possibly futuristic style and they have simply been just bandaids to avoid the deeper issues and to keep Era from dying.
    The distributive issues from updates to basing and others have caused Era’s new players to delete the game within just a few hours time. The possible solutions include (1) fix the economy, (2) wipe the game back to 2010, (3) let Era die it’s slow death.

Staff-to-Player Contact
    There were days in which the Player Relations team had regular contact with the community in hosting not only events, but weddings (before the wedding system was developed), parties, item giveaways, contests, and just having regular contact with Era’s players for morale and recreation. Although the abuse of power was found in some (rare) cases, it was a lousy excuse to diminish player and staff communication or sight. This has made Era boring, even repetitive (through hosting only events or auctions, and the future of this game not very reassuring. I would be willing to bet that the entire Era staff team is disconnected in their communication.
    Issues that have trickled from this include declining player retention from both new and old players. Possible solutions include (1) staff briefings, (2) let Era die it’s slow death.

These are the reasons that I feel Era will not survive more than 5 years more if changes, even if difficult, must be made. The game as a whole is unappealing to many, and it is clear that most of the players who are active have been around for over a year. In 2011, I remember Era at 500-750 players. In 2012, I remember at least double that. GraalOnline as a whole is a great platform for the mobile community, and in it’s roots it can last much longer than I evaluate it to in the current state. Why was player growth so significant when the game was first released, vice now? Understandably Era is very profitable and it’s micro-transactions have invested millions into the owner’s pockets, but the investment that could be made with a longer player retention is much larger than the current evaluation. I would argue not that the platform of Graal is aging, but that the individual servers or games have hurt themselves in their updates and lack of communication. I would strongly encourage staff of all levels to evaluate deeper problems to keep a game with so much history and so many caring players alive.
    People should really just come to the original era on playerworlds. I am an original user of Era from 2007.
    Graal era pc is actually doing well and has a good economy. It's easy to make money and everybody is nice.
    We are a small community be it's a ton of fun.
    Graal iera is a cash grab and is ****ty.
    Graal era pc doesn't even allow buying gralats with real money.

- - - Updated - - -

join us on playerworlds

- - - Updated - - -

join us on graal era the original on playerworlds. We are mostly adults.

- - - Updated - - -

bro there's already a graal era it's the original......

Quote Originally Posted by Saran View Post
    People should really just come to the original era on playerworlds. I am an original user of Era from 2007.
    Graal era pc is actually doing well and has a good economy. It's easy to make money and everybody is nice.

- - - Updated - - -

join us on playerworlds

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

completely agree

Click here for my Levels Thread

Join the fun on Era-go.com today

Quote Originally Posted by Saran View Post

- - - Updated - - -

join us on playerworlds

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I played it for a short while, last time I logged in was last week or something, there were 3-4 players online which was quite a downgrade from 50 people 2 years ago. Though I ADORE the optimization, the controls, the ease of use, the connectivity, the quality, the community, the system, the tileset, the levels, the items, but there is one issue… it’s not portable, I need something that I can open on my phone or iPad with the same optimization and all of the others. iEra brings the portability into the game, while all of the other aspects are a downgrade, the portability is the reason why I can’t keep going on Era PC.
    The fact that most of the playerbase in Era PC adults allows for more understanding between players and it is a good example of allowing a larger dictionary of works without them being censored, it is these small things that can allow iEra to bloom again, while it is a game set for 12+ I believe a good solution is to have an age verification (through Facebook log in or whatever) to allow words to be less censored. (By the way Ol wear and Classic are 9+ as opposed to 12+ for the rest for some reason)
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA