Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: eden's Trading Guide!

eden's Trading Guide!

Hey, everyone! I'm going to summarise what trading is all about, and, hopefully, how to earn a lot of Gralats by doing so.

Chapter list

I- Introduction
    II-The Basics
    III-How to calculate trading value
    IV-Item quality/rarity
    V-Common sharks and how to avoid them.
    VI-Making profit
    VII-Summary
    (Do a ctrl+F search to find the chapter you want to read.)

I - Introduction

Trading is rapidly becoming a way to earn a lot of profit through trading up. I will explain what trading up is much later in this guide. There are many reasons why people trade, the most common one is to gain profit by exchanging items of uneven value for something more valuable. Another very common reason why people trade is to get things that they want, however they do not have Gralats, an example would be, you want, say, a Bee Dagger. Someone wants a Bee Dagger in exchange of another item, for a quick example, let's say this item is a Saint Patrick's Dagger. You have the SP Dagger, and someone is selling a Bee Dagger, you would trade your Saint Patrick's Dagger for the Bee Dagger, everyone is happy.

This guide will show you in-depth on many things, including how to correctly use the trade tables, how to make a fair amount of profit and how to avoid common sharks and scams that many Graal users will try to use against you to gain a large amount of item profit unfairly, how to exchange trading value and even clever methods to earn fair, hard-earned profit.

II - The Basics

We're going to start with a common way of beginning. The Basics.
    I would recommend starting out by beginning to get used to trading by exchanging low value items, such as shells, low cost obtainable weapons and ammunition, begin to learn about trade value and ways to persuade others to accept the trade, as the trade tables are new, very few people know how to do this, I shall explain in some detail how to do this.
    It costs 1 Gralat to rent a table, and 99 Gralats to complete a trade!

First, let's start with knowing the location of the trade tables.

There is a very common misconception about the location of the trade house, it is not in the start zone. It is actually in the protected region of the Mafia zone. Knowing the whereabouts of the trade house will enable you to trade at all, I am unaware of where the other trade houses are, however I know there are more than one in Graal, as I have visited one outside of the Mafia Zone.

Now, once you are in you may see something like this.

This is the trade house. The place where all of the trades are performed, I shall use this image as an example.

The left trade table;

This table bears what I like to call crumbs.
    Crumbs are items that bear much lower value than the main item being traded to create the illusion of more value, some people are suckers for crumbs, as they may not have them already, or they are very oblivious to the low value raise and see it as a much more profitable trade. I personally don't trade for or with crumbs, as they can be used to trade up great values.

(Big thanks to Jaki2306 for posing this trade for me.)
    Here is an example of a trade in Graal Era.
    One party creates what's called an initiating offer, and then another party creates a dynamic offer.

One way to think of initiating offers is the one that starts the trade, they place an offer on the trade tables and that is called an initiation because they start the entire trade, or initiate it.

Dynamic offers are the offers that are paired with your standing offer, they're dynamic because these ones are the ones most subject to change, you control this offer and it is the one that keeps the trade going in a constant motion, without a dynamic offer the trade is a standing offer.

There is also an example of crumbs being traded here, where the ammo and hacky sack are an illusion of higher value in the initiating offer, the dynamic offer counters this by adding crumbs to the trade table, in this image it is the burgers, to create the illusion of high offer on his end.

III - How to calculate trade value

You may have misinterpreted this chapter, I am going to tell you all about currency before we talk about calculating values of items.

There is no official value of any item, only what people will offer as of right now, so we must make do with offers I have gotten from personal experience
    The bone pogo for example, I have gotten offers of 700 shells and 40~50 shovels.
    In this example,
    $ = Gralat
    1sh = 1 Shovel
    1sh = 1 Shell
    1m = 1 Mushroom

A shell is on average $5 or 0.1 shovels
    A shovel is $50 or on average 10 shells
    A gralat is 0.02 shovels or on average 0.2 shells

Mathematical stuff

1sh = 10sh and 1sh = 0.1sh
    $1 = 0.2sh and $1 = 0.02sh

So the conversions are as follows
    ( / means divide)
    Code:
    shovel x 10 = shell
    shell / 10 = shovel
    $ / 50 = shovel
    shovel x 50 = $
    shell x 5 = $

VI - Item quality/rarity

Expect a short chapter here, because item quality is extremely easy to grasp and understand.

There are a few different rarity types that items can go into, here they are in my ordering, please make a fix to this if you really feel that it is necessary to do so.

Starter <-- Not a real item rarity, but they're the weapons you get at the beginning of the game
    Common <-- Items that are owned by everyone, such as ammo or gas, most items given by freebie fit this category
    Cheap <-- Cheap items that are in unit thousands (1-9k usually)
    Uncommon <-- Items that quite a few people have and quite a few do not, such as a standard AK47
    Normal <-- Prices that range in the Tens of thousands such as an ACR or Layerd's Nunchakus
    Expensives <-- Items that range in the hundreds of thousands, such as the B.A.R
    Rare <-- Items that very few people have, such as the Red drag sword, these are obtained through auctions and trades.
    Super Rare <-- A rare item that is very expensive, such as the Pepper pickaxe
    Godlike <-- A rare item that is extremely expensive, such as the Rainbow umbrella

Obtainable Common
    Obtainable Uncommon
    Cheap
    Unobtainable Cheap
    Unobtainable Common
    Normal
    Unobtainable Normal
    Expensives
    Unobtainable Expensives
    Rare
    Unobtainable Rare
    Super Rare
    Godlike

This is just a basis and is in need of m***ive improvement as this is gathered from extremely biased information.

V - Common sharks and how to avoid them

We should begin by knowing three things.
    What a shark is
    What a scammer is
    The difference between sharks and scammers

Now, I know what you're thinking.

A shark in trading is not one of these

It's very different.

You see, a shark is someone who will (usually) target out inexperienced traders and attempt to get a high value item for the cost of a low value item, however, don't mistake these for new players, as these have no clue what trading is in Graal Era, meaning they have no idea how to shark either.

This is a shark.
    Work it out, those sweets really are not worth much, and the main focus is the icy dagger, here's a small hint though,
    11000 Shovels is 550k Gralats or 110k Shells.

If you're quite inexperienced it is difficult to know how to avoid this.

One way to avoid sharks is to demand a payment upfront rather than items, which is what a lot of people do, although if you do ever encounter a shark, leave your table and go to another one.

Now for scammers.

An extremely common scam is to add a perfect price for an item, say something to cover the item and reset it to 1.

Be aware of these and always tell someone to move when they're blocking the name of an item.

VI - Making Profit

Making profit in Graal Era trading is not an easy thing to do as so many people are trying to do it, there's many methods of doing this, some good and some bad, take a look.

Good ways to earn profit

Trading Up

Trading up is literally trading from a low cl*** item to a slightly higher value item, let's say a 300 shell item to a 350~400 shell item, or 600~650 shell item to a 650~700 item to a 700~800 shell item, then trading that for a 800~900 shell item. It goes up each time and this is not sharking. Sharking is trading a 300 shell item for a 900 shell item or more. This is unfair and is not trading up.

Shovel trading

This one is quite hard to grasp, but it makes use of the trading value, get around 20 shovels and sell them for shells, 1 shovel is 10 shells, right? Although you could sell it for 15 shells each time, that's 50 shells profit, meaning that is a 250 Gralats more than you had with 1k Gralats investment.

Shell exchange

Try exchanging aerolata for trochus, or sand dollar for trochus, make sure that you're gaining a little bit of profit and this is not a very efficient way to earn money as you're only getting around 2~6 gralats each sale.

Bad ways of earning profit

Sharking

We talked about sharking already, it's not very good.

Scamming

We talked about Scamming, and this is even worse.

Begging

Begging is a terrible way to earn profit, because in fact, you're not earning profit. You're getting it for free, you're not earning it with hard work, and in fact, it's not very inefficient anyway.

VII - Summary

To summarise what we've learnt today, let's see what we've actually talked about.

Basics: Location, Trading, What trading is, crumbs, offer types.
    Trade value: How to calculate trade value and exchange currencies between eachother.
    Item rarity: How to fit an item into each item rarity cl***.
    Sharks: What sharks are. What scams are. The difference between them. How to avoid them. What common scams and sharks are.
    Making Profit: How not to earn profit, How to earn profit and what trading up means.

Thank you all for reading through my Graal Era trading guide, please leave any suggestions and/or improvements below, constructive criticism always welcome!
     Spoiler

Awesome guide +rep, only if there was one. Anyway I wish they would add the dropping system back. Maybe for the few small items such as ammo, minerals, food etc. Every time I want to lend a friend a mineral or two it cost me $100 gralats which is pretty expensive as it progress.

Zephlyn
    nice ! Liked your guide

Very detailed guide.
    Beginners would find this very helpful.
    .~* /V,'/< /<,' *~.

Good but one MAJOR flaw. SHOVELS ARE NOT WORTH 10 SHELLS!!! They are worth like1.5 shells.

Quote Originally Posted by rorriM View Post
    Good but one MAJOR flaw. SHOVELS ARE NOT WORTH 10 SHELLS!!! They are worth like1.5 shells.
    So if my math is right, you're saying $50=$4?
    Thalia Vandenbroek

Quote Originally Posted by thalia_vandenbroek View Post
    So if my math is right, you're saying $50=$4?
    Yeah that's basically right. I know it's not fair but that's what people do. I remember when Shovels were actually worth something.

Awesome guide! btw you can add to reputations
    Global Moderator Feb 21, 2014 - Oct 10, 2014 (8 months)
    iEra Player Relations April 10, 2014 - Oct 10, 2014 (6 months)
    iEra Communications Support Oct 10, 2014 - Feb 9, 2015 (4 months)
    Ol West Communications Admin Nov 15, 2014 - Resigned (9 months)
    iEra Communications Admin Feb 9, 2015 - April 10, 2016 (15 months)
    iEra Player Relations Admin April 10, 2016 - Current
    Retired from Toonslab Support
    Toonslab FAQ [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by rorriM View Post
    Yeah that's basically right. I know it's not fair but that's what people do. I remember when Shovels were actually worth something.
    I'm making my math out of Gralat value.
     Spoiler