Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: basing is getting to hard

Quote Originally Posted by W R A T H View Post
    Pick a time and base and will demonstrate for you.
    Ive never seen NBK get a base with 1 person. Occasionally you get 1 pro who joins and solos a base for you guys. The "Loyal" memebers in your gang do not solo ok. They suck im sorry.

Happier, gratefully. Kamiroo Wolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogy Navy View Post
    Gang hours fb upload. Coming soon.
    Tell me your kidding.
    "'An old friend of ours dared me to try and play God...' Mak craned his neck, the advisors and guardsmen in his wake suddenly alert at their charge's blatant discontent.

He stood with a confidence we had never known him to possess, the bright orange trim of his ivory sleeves dangling so far from the scrawny arms folded behind his back that we thought the robe adorning his body might blow away completely in the winds that whipped around us.

'Little did they know I was born for the role.'"

Sorry I'm late on this topic, I'm just getting back in the mix.

The whole gang system is flawed.

"Time" isn't a good measure on how good a gang is. It creates a tactless basing operation with the goal of walking in and mindlessly B-Lining the chest to melee it. What's more, the entire base blows up and kills everybody within when some blockhead melees the chest. This is absolutely unnecessary and tests no ability conducive to Era whatsoever. In fact, it heavily discourages PKing, because if you focus on PKing you'll be blown up for no reason while you're in the midst of fighting.

Another huge flaw this "timed takeover" creates is that gangs are constantly gaining points. They can never lose points; which leads to frivolous losses, and frivolously adding members that won't carry their weight. They don't care about deaths, because there's no reflection against the gang's score. Adding that extra sandbagger with a BAR/PBP just throws more bullets into the fight in their favor. It doesn't matter if he can stand his ground, because when he dies he'll be back within 15 seconds with his Windex bottle to spray the field some more. There's no penalty for having him on the payroll.

I recommend having a points system in place of the 'hours' system. Gangs gain 1 point per kill for killing opposing gang members, and lose 1 point per death for getting killed by opposing gang members. This shifts the focus towards PKing, which is what this server is based on, and by which gang proficiency should really be measured.

Additionally, there's currently not much incentive for a gang to do well. Gangs should receive more than just a spot on a leader board for good performance. The top five gangs should be rewarded a permanent base to defend as long as they hold their position in the top five. They could use gang points towards upgrades to the gang, such as additions to their base(turrets, spar room, healing room), gang hats/bodies, care packages, maybe even gang guns. Purchases by gang points should be made by the gang leader or a select few in the hierarchy of the gang, appointed by the gang leader. This would promote loyalty towards a gang, as well as encourage gang leaders to lead.

We could create smaller bases that could be taken over, but not by simply meleeing the chest. I would recommend a system where players have to stand within a certain radius of the chest for 60 seconds or so to capture it. If there is an opposing gang within the 'capture area', then the timer stops until the opposition is eliminated from the capture radius. Once the opposition is out, the timer continues.

Example: GangA has control over a base.
    • GangB is sitting within the radius of a capture point, and they've been there for 20 seconds.
    • GangA infiltrates the radius to protect their base. The timer freezes at 20 seconds.

Here, one of three things can happen:
    • GangA kills GangB, or forces them outside of the radius. The timer goes down from 20 seconds.
    • GangB kills GangA, or forces them outside of the radius. The timer continues to go up from 20 seconds.
    • Gang C can join the party, kill/remove both GangA and GangB from the radius. The timer goes up from 20 seconds.

Let's say GangB(Ranked#2) gets the timer to 60 seconds. They've successfully captured the base. GangB(Ranked #2) gains 2 points. At the same time, GangA(Ranked#1) loses 2 points for losing the base. The base doesn't blow up, and nobody is killed as a result of the capture. Instead, points may be rewarded based on certain terms.

In order to make sure this capture system isn't abused or boosted, the perquisite of contest should be met. Meaning that gangs must be within 10 ranks of each other in order to gain or lose points by capture. i.e.: GangA(ranked #1) can't gain or lose points from capturing or losing a base to GangF(ranked #12). Of course, they'll still gain points for kills and lose points for deaths. This way smaller gangs can move up in the ranks to a higher level.

Basing isn't too hard, it's just tactless right now, and not very rewarding.

I don't see a problem with basing how it is... A points system is also flawed, it makes it much harder for new players to get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Greg View Post
    I don't see a problem with basing how it is... A points system is also flawed, it makes it much harder for new players to get anywhere.
    I don’t see how a point system that stimulates competition makes it any harder on the newbie than a tactless system based on hours.

Newbies will join newbie gangs. As the newbie gets more experienced at fighting, he’ll graduate to better gangs. It gives newer players something to shoot for, and experienced players something to strive to maintain.

Take myself for example. I was a newbie in 2002. I joined Blazian Bandits(which was the newbie gang at the time). After 8 months, I moved through the ranks in Blazian Bandits, and I eventually got promoted Co-Boss. After about a little while, I left Blazian Bandits and joined Black Holst(The top-tier gang in 2003) as a Novice. By late-2004, I was Boss of Black Holst. True story.

Everybody starts somewhere. I knew that as my game improved, I’d graduate to a better gang. By the time I reached that gang, I wanted to move up in it. I always had a goal in mind. Back then, there was no points, and there was no ‘capture chests’. There wasn’t even a “leader board”. There were 4 gangs, each designated a base to protect. Every gang knew where they stood in the hierarchy because of their employment standards and their performance in gang raids and in defending their base. Black Holst stood out from the other gangs because it hired only the best fighters. Blazian Bandits provided a spot for the newest players. Often times, two newbie gangs(Blazian Bandits or Tachi) would team up to try to topple Black Holst.

No matter what system we have in play, there will always be a spot for newbies, a spot for veterans, and a spot for those in between.
    Last edited by Meph; 02-28-2014 at 09:13 PM.

I see what you are saying but the current system allows for much more integration. New players can join some of the top gangs and some veterans join smaller gangs to attain success. This means that everyone has an opportunity to achieve whatever their goals may be without having to rise through the ranks of many gangs. It also promotes loyalty to one gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingeki View Post
    I recently learned this in science. o.O
    .~* /V,'/< /<,' *~.

It is indeed getting hard with all the competition, especially for inexperienced gangs.
    Usually the more experienced players are in the higher ranked gangs whereas less experienced players strive to maintain to meet their level.
    Basically all you need is practice, loyal members, and average weapons in gang.
    .~* /V,'/< /<,' *~.

Development Team
    Meph, your basing system sounds like a whole other server. Sounds cool, but I think most of us are used to the way we base now.

Basing shouldn't be hard if you gather a team/friends and try, just scout for bases that may seem easy to take, search where defenses are low, or if the team is sleeping.
    Shouldn't be a matter of guns and pks, it would be a matter of how to use the gun and gain the kills, when recruiting. Do an interview if you want.
    Open spoiler to see Selena Gomez eating paper

Spoiler

Development Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamiroo Wolf View Post
    Tell me your kidding.
    It's sarcasm.
    Open spoiler to see Selena Gomez eating paper

Spoiler