Thread: Mac Leveling findings

In a Nuclear Bunker with surprisingly good Internet.

Lightbulb Mac Leveling findings

Hey all! I just devoted a couple of long nights looking for a way to use a level editor with macs. At first my findings weren't very good.

GONSTRUCT
    The Github address for the nano_p2p's mac compilation is from 2010 and now no longer exsists. By swapping out nano_p2p's address by Fry's (Creator of gonstruct) you just get errors since his compilations are for windows. Downloading dependencies works fine until you get to the part where it tries to compile. More about Gonstruct later in the post.

GRAAL EDITOR
    Not quite as dissapointing as what I found with gonstruct. I can run the windows graal client perfectly. I downloaded the level pack and it goes great right until I try to open it after the initial settings window. It crashes and I'm back to square one.

So that had got me in a bad mood. I was being left behind by a seemingly simple level editor. I've gotten many programs and games that are quite intensive to work on Mac and this one eluded me.

Wine for Darwin didn't work, Crossover didn't work, Winebottler didn't work and it seemed like Wineskin didn't work either. The next day I was quite busy but I returned to my quest the next evening. As I was running various tests with the variety of programs I mentioned at the start of this paragraph I decided I would look through the setting of each program and see what I could do. Again they all didn't do much, except for Wineskin.

I enabled WindowsXP mode for gonstruct and for Graal Editor. I then disabled Wineskins built in X11 and enabled Mac's xquartz program. After I set up a virtual desktop using Wineskin for both programs to run on when tested. It seemed very promising

GRAAL EDITOR
    Finally it looked like I had actually done the seemingly impossible. It booted up fine, but when I got to the main screen I found that the hit boxes were completely off. I had to click on the other side of the screen to scroll down. It was terrible and I closed it right away

GONSTRUCT
    Gonstruct however was interesting. It actually worked! I could interact with everything, except for the tile sets which appeared as a "no tile" image. The actual map were these wierd black and red icons. I figured that was normal.

It then occurred to me that I have absolutely NO idea what to do next. How do I even USE gonstruct? After searching various forums for the better part of an hour and only found tutorials on Graal Editor. That brings me to right now.

How do I use gonstruct? Does anybody have some Guard-friendly (noob-friendly) instructions on beginning to use it? If it does work that means I just discovered the long elusive way to leveling on a Mac. If that does happen I'll be posting a Tutorial / FAQ about Mac leveling.

Thanks for reading my ramblings!
    Playing Era since 2012

How about Graal Editor tutorials then? Will they work as well?
    Playing Era since 2012

If you are really finding a good level editor and doesn't need even some complicated things, go to Graal Editor. Majority level artists use it. It is very easy to use and very comfortable.

Sorry, I must not have been clear enough in my explanation. Graal Editor is almost unusable with macs.

Almost like a Smart Board. They're huge touch screen blackboards used in classrooms all over the world. The problem is that you have to align the smart board so it knows where you are pressing and where it should make the changes. Without you aligning it, trying to click on a button on one side of the board might actually click halfway across to the other side. Same goes with Graal Editor. That's why it was such a discovery of me getting Gonstruct to work as I haven't encountered any errors like such yet
    Playing Era since 2012

I must say, I'm rather disappointed. I would have thought people would have tutorials.
    Playing Era since 2012