Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: How to make friends in Era if you're autistic?

Banned Capo
    Quote Originally Posted by RhysJB View Post
    That's for you to decide.
    But people with autism have trouble seeing things from other people's point of view, so I really don't understand what about me it is that makes people not want to be my friend. If anyone could give me some insight, I'd be very thankful.

Not Actually Banned Yet Bulletzone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RhysJB View Post
    That's for you to decide.
    I'd be friends with an Alcoholic.
    "A fool thinks they know everything but a wise person knows there's something to learn from everyone"
    -
    "Great leaders don't complain about the tools they are given. They work to sharpen them"

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletzone View Post
    I'd be friends with an Alcoholic.
    whats your point?
    IGN: Rhys
    Discord: Rhys #5755

Quote Originally Posted by Zz98765 View Post
    But people with autism have trouble seeing things from other people's point of view, so I really don't understand what about me it is that makes people not want to be my friend. If anyone could give me some insight, I'd be very thankful.
    I think you're making the problem more problematic. If you could put your sexuality and autism aside for a moment or stop thinking of them as the problem or excuse to not being able to make friends maybe it would be a lot easier for you.

Banned Capo
    Quote Originally Posted by NaniRima View Post
    I think you're making the problem more problematic. If you could put your sexuality and autism aside for a moment or stop thinking of them as the problem or excuse to not being able to make friends maybe it would be a lot easier for you.
    But both those things really are major problems. I want someone who will accept me for who I am (sexuality) and not tell me that I'm going to hell for it. And as for the autism, I would just want to make people aware of my social problems, so that if I ever did something wrong socially, they'd hopefully be more understanding. They'd hopefully be able to understand my awkwardness much more easily.

The psychiatrist that I met with said that I have the emotional age of about 10 or 11 even though I'm almost 18 :/. They're unsure about my IQ, but the test I had, suggested that my IQ is far below normal range for my age.

So, I'm probably at the overall mental age of an 11-year-old is what they were saying. My autism is very severe compared to many others.

But both those things really are major problems. I want someone who will accept me for who I am (sexuality) and not tell me that I'm going to hell for it. And as for the autism, I would just want to make people aware of my social problems, so that if I ever did something wrong socially, they'd hopefully be more understanding. They'd hopefully be able to understand my awkwardness much more easily.
    When I want to make new friends, I don't tell them my problems in the first conversations that's just weird

Banned Capo
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginary View Post
    When I want to make new friends, I don't tell them my problems in the first conversations that's just weird
    I can see not bringing up the alcoholism and bipolar disorder, but the homosexuality and autism are something that I'd like for them to know right away, so that if they're not okay with it, they can just leave without actually becoming friends with me and then ditching me (that'd hurt my feelings so badly)

The psychiatrist that I met with said that I have the emotional age of about 10 or 11 even though I'm almost 18 :/. They're unsure about my IQ, but the test I had, suggested that my IQ is far below normal range for my age.

So, I'm probably at the overall mental age of an 11-year-old is what they were saying. My autism is very severe compared to many others.

I understand what you're saying, but what I'm saying is that it becomes more difficult because you're thinking of those things as the problem. You think that you can't have friends because they may turn out to be homophobic or don't wanna deal with people with autism when that's not always the case. Autism and homophobia don't make a person's character, and most people understand that, it's just how you act around those topics.

A great friend of mine who I met at work never told me he was gay until months later, and I was completely ok with it because he is a great friend. Good friends always see past that, they will like you for who you are.

If a friend of yours leave because they can't accept who you are maybe they weren't good friends to begin with, and you shouldn't be hurting from people like that because they don't deserve you.

It's just weird to bring it up the first second you meet someone, they will leave not because they are homophobic or whatever but because they will flag you as someone who is just looking for attention (even if you weren't).

I mean, it isn't so inviting to see someone who has on their signature "If you dislike this video, then you're homophobic" that can just give the wrong idea to the other person even if that's not the intention. People have different opinions about different things, just like the wonderful imaginary said.

Don't let autism and your sexual orientation drive the way you should think or act. I'm sure you'll get some good friends if you just act natural

Banned Capo
    Quote Originally Posted by NaniRima View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but what I'm saying is that it becomes more difficult because you're thinking of those things as the problem. You think that you can't have friends because they may turn out to be homophobic or don't wanna deal with people with autism when that's not always the case. Autism and homophobia don't make a person's character, and most people understand that, it's just how you act around those topics.

A great friend of mine who I met at work never told me he was gay until months later, and I was completely ok with it because he is a great friend. Good friends always see past that, they will like you for who you are.

If a friend of yours leave because they can't accept who you are maybe they weren't good friends to begin with, and you shouldn't be hurting from people like that because they don't deserve you.

It's just weird to bring it up the first second you meet someone, they will leave not because they are homophobic or whatever but because they will flag you as someone who is just looking for attention (even if you weren't).

I mean, it isn't so inviting to see someone who has on their signature "If you dislike this video, then you're homophobic" that can just give the wrong idea to the other person even if that's not the intention. People have different opinions about different things, just like the wonderful imaginary said.

Don't let autism and your sexual orientation drive the way you should think or act. I'm sure you'll get some good friends if you just act natural
    Thank you so much. I guess I will just try to make friends without telling them that I'm gay, and without saying that I'm autistic. Many people are awkward I think, so maybe they'll never know that I'm autistic, but I think they'll assume that I am.

As for my signature, I'll change it. I just felt that it was true, and that's why I put it in my signature in the first place.

I'm just very sensitive so even though I know that I shouldn't be hurt by someone who's homophobic or has a problem with me being autistic, I still can't help but feel sad about it; feeling as though there's something wrong with me (I mean, yeah autism IS a neurodevelopmental disorder, which is very problematic to have, but I mean that it doesn't change me as a person.)

As for the homophobia, I think my sexuality is something that I'll just have to keep to myself on Era, since there are a lot of closed-minded people. Which is unfortunate, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

I really do appreciate your help, and I hope that I'll be able to make friends now, which I think I'll be able to do much more easily with your help. Thank you.

We can be friends u can private message me right now

is elk your boyfriend? because if yes i am kinda jealous of you just a bit