Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Incentive ideas?

  1. #1
    Zany
    Guest

    Incentive ideas?

    NOTE:
    Please don't respond if this is something you don't want to take seriously (aka spam and pointless comments). The people which this targets won't take it seriously if the people who are trying to help don't either. And PLEASE, read ALL OF IT before responding. (please @ali @marg)



    So, people on here and in the game are constantly complaining about how toxic the community is on Era. Story time real quick.

    Just about 30 seconds ago, as I currently sit online, someone commented on my status. My status reads as follows:

     Spoiler
    This game has people of all different cultures, beliefs, and religions. Respect that, watch what you say. They're not pansies, you're just insensitive.


    I get someone who pms me with their opinion of the matter, which I respect. He then proceeds to suggest that words mean nothing to him, so therefore they shouldn't offend any other person. Then proceeds to call me the f-slur. And then proceeds to say if someone doesn't like what another person says, they can "go home, and get acquainted with a rope, stool, and a high hanging rod."

    The fact that someone thinks it is okay to say that is horrifying, but people are too numb to it at this point to realize it. The thing is, as he put it, "there's a fine line between caring about someone and tending to their every whim". That's very true. Respecting someone's values and not completely harassing them verbally, which is what I'm talking about in my status, is caring about someone, NOT "tending to their every whim".

    That got my gears chugging (obviously, because here I am shoving an essay down everybody's throats again). You can't change everybody. He, obviously, is stuck with this, and I respect his opinion.
    ...
    However, some just need to see the other point of view in order to turn a new leaf. We have to keep in mind how diverse this game base is; you may think cursing is okay, your household may too, your city may too. You may be in the LGBTQ community and think the f-slur is okay, but others may not. If something is obviously meant for insult, if something is obviously offensive, it doesn't matter how you take it when you say it to another person. They may be in a religion where cursing is forbidden, a culture where slurs are viewed as insulting.

    Anyways, back to the point of this thread: the Era community is awful.
    There's some gems within it, that I've been blessed to know. But there's a good amount who are either insensitive, harassing, or just... angry (?).

    I'm not saying it for myself, and I know some people are more sensitive than others. An example? When being called a noob sends you into a spiral.

    What I'm describing is offensive things such as racism, cursing other players out (direct cursing, not vulgarity used in jokes, sentences, or not directed towards somebody), and slurs. There's too many who consider this okay, and that's on them, but they don't have to spread it and harm another person in a way they don't understand. I think this is the root of a lot of the toxicity in Era, and if we find a way to prevent it, then it will eventually be relieved, one way or another.

    I made this thread to try and gather opinions, other sides, and ideas for somehow finding a way to make the game's community less toxic.

    And keep in mind the game isn't a classroom full of kindergartners, but a vast majority of these players are teenagers and up to their mid 20's.

    (And don't throw the "It's my right to say what I want!" argument at me; that right, like ALL rights, comes with limits. When you abuse your right of speech to abuse or harass another, it's not longer "your right". You're limiting another person's freedoms and rights in doing so, and making them feel like less than. That's a choice, but not "your right".)

    And also, note, I already know "that's what PRs are here for!", but obviously that isn't enough; there needs to be more. If it's a problem, then you need to find a way to fix it, and if that's not the fix, we need to find another. PRs are fine as is, but obviously we need more help. My goal isn't to change other people's opinions, but to make sure they don't spread it in flat out offensive and insulting ways.

    Thanks to any and all that read this and try to think of an idea! If I'm wrong in any way, please, let me know. I'm not perfect, I'm learning too, and if I'm wrong in any way I should be called out.

  2. #2
    Leveler
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,311
    110% agreed. The one idea to improve this rn is heavier jail times and after the jail like some small amount of times your account is just reset or something.
    Feel free to ask any question!

    iZone Levels Admin

  3. #3
    Zany
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz210 View Post
    110% agreed. The one idea to improve this rn is heavier jail times and after the jail like some small amount of times your account is just reset or something.
    I think the only problem with that is it normally adds fuel to the fire. Many times as a staff have I punished people and they turn around with threats. I think that may, technically, stop them from being able to add to the community for an amount of time, but I'm not certain it fixes anything. But it could lead to something. Thank you for sharing.

  4. #4
    I couldn't have proven it better, I strongly agree that the community is awful, though I have a hard time figuring out how to make everyone open-minded.
    J-sdfohjsdofjsodjf O-sdfjsdlfhlsdhf E-abfbabf Y-dkfbajdhf. That's what my signature would look like if it was in handwriting
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpw...0H1UeXH37nBBCA

  5. #5
    Oo Sottocapo MJ4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,539
    Not much options to use for reducing the amount of toxicity from the community but the only thing we can do is simply check the history of players and banning. Most messages are from the public chat so they can avoid the pm history check from prs so there isn’t much they can do. Censoring more words would help make the community less toxic as well.

    You want breakfast? You gotta catch it!

  6. #6
    It?s just a game, stop being a crybaby. They don?t actually mean it because they?re trolls.

  7. #7
    Player Relations RayBaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    20
    Oh man toxicity is great. Not really. So far after the 3k+ hours and time span of 8 years that I've been playing graal, these past 3 years have been the worst 3 years I've played on graal because of toxicity. Usually I could walk around and actually have conversations with people about certain things like ingame content. Now I find these people who act as if they dont need people talking to them and decide to just start flipping on anyone who tries to for the fun of it.
    Also I used to get PMs from people asking how to do certain things ingame and I'd answer them and get a nice thank you and if I didnt know it they would be like darn, or something and move on to the next person. Nowadays when I answer help PMs they just start complaining about how I told them the tip or just reply with "k" and go quiet. Not really toxic just annoying in general since I just took the time to reply to your pm and all you have to say is "k". Then i get these ones who are vulgar to me because i ignored their pm while i was afk. It aggravates me too much sometimes. Though I still get those gems that I can talk to without any toxic stuff coming from them.
    Anyhow no more ranting. I would love to see something be done about toxicity.
    I do agree that the administration is one of the issues for it.
    Most staff I've talked to are nice, but there are ones that hide behind a "mask" they put on after getting the staff role they applied for. That "mask" doesnt completely cover what they are hiding though.

  8. #8
    In a game where we kill eachother words hurt more than the bullets

    Cry me a river this isn't politically correct era

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LYK08 View Post
    Yes I agree with your take on this and I thank your effort for raising this up.

    However, you have failed to consider the fact that the current administration is one which majority of the players do not have a faith in. The fact that they refuse help to players who has had their accounts revoked for no apparent reason despite concealing this refusing in "toonslab support" only goes to show they lack accountability.

    I do not want to discourage you, and in fact I have some ideas we could use to incentivise good behaviour. But all these are only possible if the administration can prove itself to be an accountable one - if they themselves cannot even provide clear justifications to the unjust banning of players, why trust that they would implement any of these ideas to better the community?

    The fact that the community is in such a pitiful plight only goes to show the efforts of the administration. Maybe the upper echelons are there to deceive or keep the current admins in the dark about all these sudden removal of player accounts , which explains little objection to what the management did, but the fact that these have yet to be accounted for only deepens my belief that this administration will not go far in making the community a better place.

    And permabans are just part of the story. No one has to this day offered sound explanation as to why Kirzey and Anero have been permabanned despite their contributions to the game. As someone who believes in meritocracy I believe their work in the game does not in any way warrant such treatment.

    That said, its not that I don't take what you've said seriously, but untill the administration proves itself to be taken seriously, don't expect much of any ideas this thread is going to generate to materialise. you're just doing a mob appeal.

    But anyway, since you're so keen on getting this solved, I shall offer you some explanations based on research why they behave like that. Hopefully it'll help you think of an idea, but whether or not the administration accepts it is another story.

    1. Thinking cyber name calling/swearing etc is okay
    Players think its okay because they are used to doing so to their friends (real life/in graal) in the form of self-endearment. Its basically banter that both parties understand and accept (which goes to explain why some are not reported when they do so in game, and therefore go unpunished). Since they go unpunished/their friends accept, they develop this into a habit based upon the assumption that everyone whom they interact with will accept, so they think its okay.

    2. Cyberbullying/harassment/ breaking the rules/ being toxic
    part 1:
    Accept the fact that its a virtual world and every one is concealed behind a screen, their avatars no reflective of their personal self. No personal ego/reputation is at stake (that is, if I offend the world in era, no one will no me irl) so there is no incentive for them to behave properly. If my identity is hidden, even if I harass someone, no one is going to shame me irl, nor will anyone know about it irl so why would I care? Because of a lack of inclination to values and proper conduct in the virtual world since they take on another identity, they tend to behave differently from their usual self. Trust me, most of the people who swear at you in game won't dare to do it irl.

    Part 2: since its everyone takes on a new identity, there is no difference in irl status/age. A kid can swear at an adult in game through the avatar, but won't do it irl because they are anonymous, which boosts their audacity to do such things. A kid who has been constantly disciplined to do the right thing irl will find him or herself with freedom in the game, and so will attempt to do whatever they don't get to do irl. (just like how you'd go on a food frenzy if you have been deprived of food for days).

    Hope it helps.
    If this was reddit i would make multiple accounts just to upvote this

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyaudi1 View Post
    I couldn't have proven it better, I strongly agree that the community is awful, though I have a hard time figuring out how to make everyone open-minded.
    Are you still a PR? you have so much hatred for the community..

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RayBaggins View Post
    Oh man toxicity is great. Not really. So far after the 3k+ hours and time span of 8 years that I've been playing graal, these past 3 years have been the worst 3 years I've played on graal because of toxicity. Usually I could walk around and actually have conversations with people about certain things like ingame content. Now I find these people who act as if they dont need people talking to them and decide to just start flipping on anyone who tries to for the fun of it.
    Also I used to get PMs from people asking how to do certain things ingame and I'd answer them and get a nice thank you and if I didnt know it they would be like darn, or something and move on to the next person. Nowadays when I answer help PMs they just start complaining about how I told them the tip or just reply with "k" and go quiet. Not really toxic just annoying in general since I just took the time to reply to your pm and all you have to say is "k". Then i get these ones who are vulgar to me because i ignored their pm while i was afk. It aggravates me too much sometimes. Though I still get those gems that I can talk to without any toxic stuff coming from them.
    Anyhow no more ranting. I would love to see something be done about toxicity.
    I do agree that the administration is one of the issues for it.
    Most staff I've talked to are nice, but there are ones that hide behind a "mask" they put on after getting the staff role they applied for. That "mask" doesnt completely cover what they are hiding though.
    What you're describing isn't toxicity, rudeness maybe.. You're not entitled to anything for helping people out the sooner u understand that the more enjoyment you'll get out of the game

    - - - Updated - - -

    Here is what a toxic player REALLY is:
    1. Someone complaining on teamates, over things his teamates cant do anything about, making it unnesecary flaming.
    2.Someone who is constantly griefing, damaging, or missusing chat.
    3.A player who can never take the blame on himself and so lashes out negatively to others.
    4. An abusive player.

  9. #9
    Yes Sottocapo imaginary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Literally a place you don’t wanna be at
    Posts
    11,894
    It’s impossible to make them disappear but “we” can lessen them by:
    -hiring more active PRs
    -if a huge amount of players decided to ignore them or give them the opposite reaction of what they want, they’ll eventually realize what they’re doing is stupid or they won’t be enjoying it

  10. #10
    Astro Noob Grantman20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Bottom Left Of Start
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginary View Post
    It’s impossible to make them disappear but “we” can lessen them by:
    -hiring more active PRs
    -if a huge amount of players decided to ignore them or give them the opposite reaction of what they want, they’ll eventually realize what they’re doing is stupid or they won’t be enjoying it
    nah nah nah heres whatcha gotta do.
    be toxic towards them. ez
    Not giving up. mistakes happen, Miracles shine upon us.
    If you have an issue regarding Graal Era PM a staff member or submit a ticket to support.toonslab.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •